What's happened to Verizon Wireless?

I was with Verizon for 6-7 years and ended up trying AT&T on a whim in 2014, I have found everything about AT&T's service to be far superior to include their pricing. I have thought about going back to Verizon every two years but they have never offered anything compelling enough to make it worth it for me to switch.

I was with Verizon for 6-7 years and ended up trying AT&T on a whim in 2014, I have found everything about AT&T's service to be far superior to include their pricing. I have thought about going back to Verizon every two years but they have never offered anything compelling enough to make it worth it for me to switch.
We were live our ATT service used to be superior to Verizon. I do know it depends on where you live.
At my wifes old office, everyone had Verizon and they had to walk outside most times to talk on the phone, always amazed my wife could stay. in side and talk at her desk.

We were live our ATT service used to be superior to Verizon. I do know it depends on where you live.
At my wifes old office, everyone had Verizon and they had to walk outside most times to talk on the phone, always amazed my wife could stay. in side and talk at her desk.

But, but, but, but... COSTS MORE!!!! Therefore... Better.

I pay $27 a month for my unlimited phone.

I could probably pay more like $15 but it gets sketchy. Like a kidney transplant at home in Mexico sketchy... Probably CashApp involved... Undercover DEA agents because WiFi network name says DEA_SURVEILLANCE_01 and that's the "proof" sketchy..........

But, but, but, but... COSTS MORE!!!! Therefore... Better.

I pay $27 a month for my unlimited phone.

I could probably pay more like $15 but it gets sketchy. Like a kidney transplant at home in Mexico sketchy... Probably CashApp involved... Undercover DEA agents because WiFi network name says DEA_SURVEILLANCE_01 and that's the "proof" sketchy..........
I don’t understand your post?
What costs more?
Our actual payment is $70.50 cents for all 3 unlimited lines, talk, text, data with 8Gb of high speed per line through Redpocket ATT offering.

I don’t understand your post?
What costs more?
Our actual payment is $70.50 cents for all 3 unlimited lines, talk, text, data with 8Gb of high speed per line through Redpocket ATT offering.

alarmguy.. If you have Redpocket AT&T then you don't have Verizon, right?

I do pay like $26.85 a month for unlimited (you can get my provider at Walmart) and can probably get it cheaper, but from what I would call .. lesser-known outfits.

alarmguy.. If you have Redpocket AT&T then you don't have Verizon, right?

I do pay like $26.85 a month for unlimited (you can get my provider at Walmart) and can probably get it cheaper, but from what I would call .. lesser-known outfits.
Did you mis-read my post?
I have ATT service through Red Pocket. Actual payment $70.50 a month for 3 lines, unlimited data, text, talk, 8 Gb of high speed data per line.

Walmart service is much more expensive and you dont have to deal with Walmart. With Redpocket, order the service, get the sim card, install it in your phone, your good to go. (btw I had straight talk for a couple years and got rid of it, it was good but the price too much for what it is, still better then the big 3, but, they price almost like they are 4th in the big 4 *L*)

(Ps, I hate generalizations about what people pay for cell service, they would do everyone a favor if they stated their actual monthly payment. instead of advertised price which in most cases is BS, much like pay tv but companies continue to do it, because people put up with it and most likely want to believe they pay less then they actually do :oops:)

Consumer marketing is really an AMAZING science taken to the highest level of proficiency in our computer age, extracting hundreds of billions extra money (if not more) out of consumer pockets worldwide every year..

Last edited:
Reactions: GON
Did you mis-read my post?
I have ATT service through Red Pocket. Actual payment $70.50 a month for 3 lines, unlimited data, text, talk, 8 Gb of high speed data per line.

Walmart service is much more expensive and you dont have to deal with Walmart. With Redpocket, order the service, get the sim card, install it in your phone, your good to go. (btw I had straight talk for a couple years and got rid of it, it was good but the price too much for what it is, still better then the big 3, but, they price almost like they are 4th in the big 4 *L*)

(Ps, I hate generalizations about what people pay for cell service, they would do everyone a favor if they stated their actual monthly payment. instead of advertised price which in most cases is BS, much like pay tv but companies continue to do it, because people put up with it and most likely want to believe they pay less then they actually do :oops:)

Consumer marketing is really an AMAZING science taken to the highest level of proficiency in our computer age, extracting hundreds of billions extra money (if not more) out of consumer pockets worldwide every year..

alarmguy, I'm sorry but I am not understanding you here. I pay ~$27 a month (I think it's $26.85) and I actually don't have Straight Talk, I have another one that's right next to it. You pay $70 a month. $27 is less than $70.

Now, if you're saying Per Line then okay I get that, but you have three... I also have unlimited everything except for lower data.

I dont need the three lines.

You got me beat on data for sure.

By the way. You and we STILL pay less than Verizon folks... Unless there are some Net10 people here??.. ACTUAL Verizon bills cost a LOT and you have AT&T service.

You are correct that pre-paid phone service makes companies BILLIONS. Still have a set number of towers though for virtually all phones. Much like gasoline...

So.. Happy Thanksgiving as well, but I'm not quite understand.

alarmguy, I'm sorry but I am not understanding you here. I pay ~$27 a month (I think it's $26.85) and I actually don't have Straight Talk, I have another one that's right next to it. You pay $70 a month. $27 is less than $70.

Now, if you're saying Per Line then okay I get that, but you have three... I also have unlimited everything except for lower data.

I dont need the three lines.

You got me beat on data for sure.

By the way. You and we STILL pay less than Verizon folks... Unless there are some Net10 people here??.. ACTUAL Verizon bills cost a LOT and you have AT&T service.

You are correct that pre-paid phone service makes companies BILLIONS. Still have a set number of towers though for virtually all phones. Much like gasoline...

So.. Happy Thanksgiving as well, but I'm not quite understand.
Happy Thanksgiving!
My actual payment is $70.50 for ALL 3 lines of service combined, *L* I am not sure how else I can explain it, for 3 lines of service with what you pay per line, your cost would be $27x3= $81 In addition you do not state your actual payment and exactly what you are getting for it.

Happy Thanksgiving!
My actual payment is $70.50 for ALL 3 lines of service combined, *L* I am not sure how else I can explain it, for 3 lines of service with what you pay per line, your cost would be $27x3= $81 In addition you do not state your actual payment and exactly what you are getting for it.

Ahh, okay. Yes, if talking Per Line, you got me beat. I still feel like you're paying more because you pay the company $70.50 when the bill comes and I pay them either $26.85 or $27.10 (different tax made different total sine they bill me by zip code) but

Actual payment: Call it $27
Unlimited Talk
Unlimited Text
And I think it 2GB Data though sometimes they ask me if I want to go to the plan with 3 and I say no, they may be getting $30 for that and I'm like "nope" lol.

I may buy a Samsung Galaxy A11, I've lost tract of what Samsung is what. A, J-series, E, S, S+, S Ultra.. Or is it S20+ Ultra? Those cost more than my car. A11 is overpriced but uses USB-C.

I am sure this topic will come up during the festivities today. Please let us know who ends up saying exactly this sentence: "Well, I got Verizon, so I don't have to worry about anything like that."
OR
slight variation
"Well, I got Verizon, so I never have those problems."
OR
"Well, I got Verizon and that's the best one"

Maybe even.. "Well, I got Verizon, so."

For me, that's my father. Mr. I Got Verizon (so whatever you have isn't as good.) I just look at him like. Good for you.

EDIT: He also puts Castrol 0W-40 in a 2019 Nissan Sentra so that should tell you everything you need to know about him.

Last edited:
I finally ditched VZW this year. I've always appreciated their good cell service and friendly/helpful people in their stores, plus their customer support was decent. But I had enough of $100+ cell phone bills for the wife and I. That was a cheap plan too, an older capped plan that got grandfathered in somehow; it would be even higher with a modern plan. Another thing that bugged me is every time I called Canada (which I occasionally do for work) I would get charged nuisance fees which would add $10 or more each month.

They used to entice you to stay as a customer by offering good discounts on new phones or devices, so wife and I had a habit of getting new phones every couple years when our devices were paid off, and we'd stay with them. But in the last few years the good deals have all but disappeared, being only available to new customers or if you add new lines. When the lady asked why I wanted to terminate service, I told her their discounts are basically encouraging people to switch, not stay. It's too easy to port numbers, so it's no trouble at all to switch carriers every couple years to get half off an expensive phone, or sometimes B1G1 expensive phone. You can't get those deals if you stay a customer.

Instead of switching, we opted to go even more frugal, avoiding major carriers altogether and are keeping our 2-year old phones for a couple more years. We switched to Mint Mobile, which uses T-Mobile towers. Have had it for a couple months now and service is pretty good, but not as good as Verizon in the more rural areas. I can live with that given our phone bill dropped 75% or more.

The only difference between using Red Pocket and Verizon or ATT is marketing.

The power of marketing is bringing profits for the shareholders of the company.

The only difference between using Red Pocket and Verizon or ATT is marketing.

The power of marketing is bringing profits for the shareholders of the company.
Unfortunately, not always true. try using an MVNO in Washington, DC. You will learn quickly about the difference in prioritization.
Just one of many examples.

Unfortunately, not always true. try using an MVNO in Washington, DC. You will learn quickly about the difference in prioritization.
Your posting about something other then Redpocket though I would agree about some others but has nothing to do with my statement.

How bad is it, in D.C.?

I've become a fan of MVNO for life, I look quizzically at those that say "Verizon is the best " (I also heard AT&T was the best. Sprint is gone. Doesn't surprise me) and like.. okay maybe 10% of people actually NEED the "most reliable phone, " everyone else... brush, your phone PROBABLY going to work. Espexialy in a major city.

But as mentioned. Unless you in Arizona desert or certain select situations where you ABSOLUTELY NEED the company that works..I would think an MVNO would be fine.

How bad is it, in D.C.?

I've become a fan of MVNO for life, I look quizzically at those that say "Verizon is the best " (I also heard AT&T was the best. Sprint is gone. Doesn't surprise me) and like.. okay maybe 10% of people actually NEED the "most reliable phone, " everyone else... brush, your phone PROBABLY going to work. Espexialy in a major city.

But as mentioned. Unless you in Arizona desert or certain select situations where you ABSOLUTELY NEED the company that works..I would think an MVNO would be fine.
Ahh, the power of "marketing" on the human brain. Good news is, many people fall for it and allow those companies to make big money leaving us with cheaper rates by going off on lessor known ways. :eek:

Last edited:
I ditched Verizon about four years ago when my flip phone died. I was paying $55 a month with no text or data. When I checked about getting a Smart Phone that came with 1 gig of data Verizon wanted over $70 a month. A buddy told me about his Google Fi phone plan, I never looked back. My average bill is now $35-$38 a month.

$20 a month unlimited talk and text, $10 per gig of data used after 6 gigs it becomes an unlimited plan. It's not rounded up you only pay for the actual Mb used. The phone works in over 120 countries and the rates are the same as in the U.S. unlimited talk and text for $20 with data billed at the same $10 a gig. Long distance calls outside the U.S. are billed at .20 a minute.

Google uses up to three different carriers and the phone will automatically switch to the best service available.

I have $5 a month insurance and it's well worth it. My phone went into a Boot Loop, and I couldn't get it to boot up. The Google tech (American) that I was on the phone with realized there was no way we were going to get it fixed. I had a new phone shipped to me within 24 hours. I turned it on and it automatically started downloading all my contacts, text messages, voicemails, photos and video I had on my old phone to the new phone.

I may not be a fan of Google but when it comes to their phone service I couldn't be happier.

Fi is a good service and has good support but it's actually quite expensive for someone like my wife who doesn't use a lot of data. $35-38/mo bill is double what I am paying for her now with Unlimited talk/text and 8GB data on Verizon towers.

Im doing the VZW Pre-Paid Plan, 16gb of Data and Unlimited Talk/Text for $45 a month. Decent deal but I have found VZW service to have degraded over the past few years where I live and its frustrating.

Post paid gets top priority on their towers then VZW Pre-paid. I had a friend on Visible (also VZW) his speed tests where half of mine so thats why I dont want to switch to a third party.

Fi is a good service and has good support but it's actually quite expensive for someone like my wife who doesn't use a lot of data. $35-38/mo bill is double what I am paying for her now with Unlimited talk/text and 8GB data on Verizon towers.

Can you provide link to the $19 per month service with unlimited talk/text with 8gb data? I don't see it on RP website. They advertise a 10GB plan for $30 a month.

Back