What's causing this clicking noise?

2017 Chevy Impala with 79k miles

The check engine light was flashing for maybe 25 seconds today so I opened the hood and hear this clicking noise.

The light hasn't come back on but the noise is concerning. What do you think it is?

I would have thought that was normal fuel-injector noise, but if it's new, likely not.

Do you have a mechanic's stethoscope? They are very helpful for tracking down noises.

well ive never opened the hood and listened before, so im not sure what its supposed to sound like.

But it sounds too "clicky" to me to be normal, but what do i know. I was afraid it was lifter tap.

Last edited:
As mentioned in your now closed duplicate thread, check for any throuble codes for more insight.

Sounds too loud and too fast for injector noise at idle.
I will check the code tomorrow.

Does it sound like valve lifters?

I will check the code tomorrow.

Does it sound like valve lifters?
Sounds more like lifters than it does fuel injectors. A flashng CEL usually means there was some cylinder mis-fires.

I'd think you could tell a difference in the engine noise also with the hood closed or while driving around if you have some lifter noise. Did you do anything recently, like change the oil and filter ?

I had the oil changed a few weeks ago. I've been noticing lately a slight clicking noise coming from the engine but it's very subtle until I open the hood, where it becomes much more obvious.

Sounds like the EGR valve on a Honda J Series. Those tick a slight bit slower, but the sound is very similar.

Judging by your video, the sound is the loudest just over the area where the purge valve is located. I have replaced a few of those on Chevy 3.6l’s that sounded just like that. It’s unbelievable how loud they can rattle.
Anyway, going by the video, that’s where I would start. Cheers! 🍻

Judging by your video, the sound is the loudest just over the area where the purge valve is located. I have replaced a few of those on Chevy 3.6l’s that sounded just like that. It’s unbelievable how loud they can rattle.
Anyway, going by the video, that’s where I would start. Cheers! 🍻
I just went out to get the codes and nothing came up. There was no codes at all, not even stored codes.

I started the engine and gave it a good listen and at first I didn't hear it. Then I revved it a few times and let it warm up and it came back. Interestingly it seems the sound is originating from the rear left of the engine, at the top. Is that where the purge valve is? Its the thing with the red tab in my video.

If so, I bet that's the problem

Pop the engine top cover off and you might be able to home in on the noise better.

I placed a mechanics stethoscope right on the purge valve and sure enough that's it

Is this something that should be repaired immediately?

It should be replaced. Malfunctioning ones can pull a high vacuum in your fuel tank and bow the sides in, damaging the gauge sending unit or causing a leak.

If the light is flashing, you have a misfire bad enough to cause catalytic converter damage. It will flash the check engine light specifically to warn of this. Doubt it’s related to clicking noise. Recommend do not drive till you find the issue unless you want to replace a melted cat.

Back