What's best for a V-8 Nissan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys and gals-
New to BITOG.. so cool to find people who geek on this stuff and to know I'm not alone! So, after reading pages and pages of info on here I've done my best to research what I could tell would be best for my Q45 and it's 340hp V-8. I was running Royal Purples High Performance Oil in 5w30 but I swore I heard cold start knock or piston slap. I've got 100,000 miles on the Q just today. I got it with 87k in Atlanta Ga. The car had never been out of downtown until I bought it! It simply went from the parking garage where the previous owner lived, to across town to the parking garage at there work. I've got some service history and see oil changes anywhere from 6k to 11k intervals. I just drained and filled the tranny twice and filled with Royal Purple synthetic ATF and Lubegaurd Platinum ATF protection. Royal purple gear oil in the diff. Lubegaurd power steering fluid exchange and water wetter from Red Line I believe. This evening I switched to LubriMoly 5w30 with Lubegaurd Bio Engine treatment and a RP extended filter. I'm hoping the better quality oil with help. Can anyone tell me if I've done the right things to get a lot more life out of this Q? I have been semi rough with acceleration, with 340hp it's just so [censored] tempting to blow everyone's doors off.. but I've calmed down realizing I want it to last! She runs smooth and quite and fast- so can anyone think of anything I should or shouldn't be doing or recommendations for the VK45DE V-8?

I didn't read the entire post but from what I gather, Castrol Magnatec 5w30. It's a syn-blend and seems to run very quiet from the posts on here. Oddly, in the 0w20 and 5w20 varieties it's considered a full synthetic. Available at Walmart.

welcome2.gif

Castrol Edge 0w30 is popular in the Nissan community
smile.gif

WELCOME to Bitog! It already sounds like you're more than enthusiastic about your maintenance so you'll fit in here nicely! Can't say I'd change a thing - just tending to its needs with high quality products will certainly stack the deck in your favor....

I don't think LubriMoly is a better oil as you say. Any dexos1 full synthetic is comparable.
If it was me, I'd go to Walmart's Castrol Edge 0w-40 slightly thicker to deal with piston slap. Might help. More viscosity helps some with greater clearances opened up in older engines.

Thanks for the welcome! I appreciate all the recommendations. I forgot to mention, I have ordered Pennsoil Platinum Euro in the 5w30. I think the Ferrari recommendation sold me?? Not sure if I will keep it or send it back. Anyone here have anything to add or share on the Pennsoil Platinum Euro?

Pennzoil Platinum is excellent oil. I think you made a perfect choice. Use it in your Nissan,don't send it back.

Platinum Euro has the highest specs, the European specs are the toughest. Its in the same class as Walmart's Castrol Edge 0w-40. Premium stuff.

Yea I researched the PP Euro, it looked to be the same thing as Shell Ultra Helix which is what I originally wanted but it is ridiculous to have shipped.. Amazon wanted 85$ for a 5 liter jug delivered.. which of the two would be best for my application per technical specs the PP Euro or the Lubri-M? I saw the LM is good for up to 30,000km or 18,600 miles!?
As far as the Purple Dye my Q didn't like it either I guess. I had to do all this change quick because 2,000 miles in on the RP I was getting all kinds of crazy noises on cold start especially when it gets below 10*F here.

At least you made the smart move and dumped that Purple junk! Nothing wrong with the Lubrimoly oil, just a little overpriced. I would have added their Moly additive and not LubeGuards though... Its a proven winner and I personally use it in all my vehicles. Lubegaurd makes great Transmission additives though.

Originally Posted By: O5Q45
Yea I researched the PP Euro, it looked to be the same thing as Shell Ultra Helix which is what I originally wanted but it is ridiculous to have shipped.. Amazon wanted 85$ for a 5 liter jug delivered.. which of the two would be best for my application per technical specs the PP Euro or the Lubri-M? I saw the LM is good for up to 30,000km or 18,600 miles!?
As far as the Purple Dye my Q didn't like it either I guess. I had to do all this change quick because 2,000 miles in on the RP I was getting all kinds of crazy noises on cold start especially when it gets below 10*F here.

Special Tec LL SAE 5W-30 is the LiquiMoly that is comparable to Pennzoil Euro 5w30, so if you have another flavor of LM 5w30, then its not as stout per performance tests as Pennz Euro. LM hasn't bothered to produce any dexos1 oils, and that indicates to me they are a reluctant player. Pennz Euro gets my vote here since that company has and does everything.

Basically, you could use any 5w30, 0w30, 0w40, or 5w40 oils that you see any one or more of the following numbers on them:
dexos1 (GM)
LL-01 (BMW)
229.5 (MB)
A40 (Porsche)

Those are the valid choices, and the dexos1 performance level does allow better fuel economy, by about 2% if you care.
Those all beat the cheapo SN-GF5-only stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back