Whats a viable option for M1 0w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a 2000, its not under warranty anymore....you want cheap?

Buy a quality 15W-40 or 10W-30 HDEO of your choice. Either will work just fine for 7500 miles.

Seriously?

Sorry, but sell the car and buy a beater. If their financial position is that poor then they really should be walking or riding the bus.

Im sorry, but it sounds like vanity caught up with stupid choices, and they should move down in car.

I know that's not the response you want, but youre not doing her any favors continuing unsustainable lifestyle by giving her crutches.

Personally, I dont know that an engine failure on this engine is any more expensive/tougher than any other, but I think it is false economy to stray from the recommended oil choice... And time and effort will expand at cost versus doing it right to begin with.

Teach her where to get the parts for good prices and how to DIY the change and cut costs that way. That's just smart economics. Doubt the ML even needs to go up on ramps...

^^^^^ I know we`ll get bashed for this...But it sounds like this is the situation. People dont realize it`s not just the price of the car (and MB isnt one to hold a value that great) it`s the MAINTENANCE of these babies that cost! Their a fine automobile, well engineered, some times over engineered, but honestly I like the way my Lexus drives better. And I also drive my Mother in law`s E-320 sometimes, and I still prefer mine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4x4chevydude
I wouldnt screw around and try anything defferent. An oil change is cheaper then a new engine and the labor to put it in a Mercedes. Dont be cheap when it comes to maintanance on a good quality car. Otherwise go buy a saturn for 14.00 you can do a supertech oil change with the filter.

Seriously, Benz and Audi are luxury cars and often require luxury priced repairs so don't mess around. Tell them to sell the car are get something they can afford to care for. Gasp, they sound like the type who don't ever check their oil level even on a 10k OCI...eeekk

If she can't afford the $6.50 a quart for m1 0w40 at wal-mart, it's time to sell the MB.

You can't go "cheap" with a MB on oil, don't try to cut corners, get the right oil.

Originally Posted By: RD400
An oil change with M1 0W-40 is probably less than a tank of gas.

+1

This situation sounds like majority of America. Always wanting the bling bling but without the funds to support it.

And honestly, 1 year oci and they're complaining?

I've run Rotella T-6 in my wifes 2001 SLK320 for 10k with fine results.

Lets just say that the new Chevy Sonic called for the same oil, and someone was searching for a cheaper alternative? What would everyone say then? "You should buy a bicycle."

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Buy a quality 15W-40 or 10W-30 HDEO of your choice. Either will work just fine for 7500 miles.

A perfect recipe in false economy; going with a clearly inferior low VI lubricant to save pennies on the cost of the oil only to wind-up paying more in the long run though increased fuel consumption.

A few lunches are unimportant.
Using good spec'd oil in this car IS important.
So over a year, what is the real cost difference/pocketbook pain between the M1 and some unsuitable dino?

The sump is 8.5 quarts but if you change oil now I would put less than 8.5 quarts for winter months. I would pour in 7 quarts then check the dipstick, it the oil level is between min and max then it is okay for cold winter. The engine oil will get to operating temperature quicker with less oil. You will need to add 1/2 to 1 quart in spring and if it's need add 1/2 to 1 quart in summer. All you need to do is check oil level once a month to be sure it will not get below min.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
So over a year, what is the real cost difference/pocketbook pain between the M1 and some unsuitable dino?

In OP's defense, he wasn't planning on using dino. He wanted to use "HDEO 5w40" which means a synthetic oil with a robust add pack and high enough HT/HS to satisfy most MB requirements. Unfortunately, such oil isn't notably cheaper than M1 0w-40, so why bother.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Except that T6 isn't that much cheaper than M1 0w-40. As a matter of fact, M1 0w-40 can be found on sale often times for about $5/qt which makes it even cheaper than T6.

Are you really that strapped for cash that you can't justify spending $60 for engine oil per year? If you buy HDEO 5w-40, it's going to cost you about $45. So, $15/year savings so that you can use non-MB approved oil? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Sort of what was getting me too.... She's driving a Mercedes but cannot afford to spend $60.00 on an oil change????

+1. That's what I thought.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: addyguy

A perfect recipe in false economy; going with a clearly inferior low VI lubricant to save pennies on the cost of the oil only to wind-up paying more in the long run though increased fuel consumption.

I still stand by my idea; lots of Euro cars run 15W-40's in Europe.

You gonna tell there will be a real world difference between a 0W-40 and 15W-40 in fuel consumption? Maybe there is, but not one that is easy to measure.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Except that T6 isn't that much cheaper than M1 0w-40. As a matter of fact, M1 0w-40 can be found on sale often times for about $5/qt which makes it even cheaper than T6.

Are you really that strapped for cash that you can't justify spending $60 for engine oil per year? If you buy HDEO 5w-40, it's going to cost you about $45. So, $15/year savings so that you can use non-MB approved oil? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Sort of what was getting me too.... She's driving a Mercedes but cannot afford to spend $60.00 on an oil change????

+1. That's what I thought.

It can happen, the money there when she got the car isnt there anymore.

Drive it until you do? Oil is robust
21.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Seriously?

Sorry, but sell the car and buy a beater. If their financial position is that poor then they really should be walking or riding the bus.

Im sorry, but it sounds like vanity caught up with stupid choices, and they should move down in car.

I know that's not the response you want, but youre not doing her any favors continuing unsustainable lifestyle by giving her crutches.

Personally, I dont know that an engine failure on this engine is any more expensive/tougher than any other, but I think it is false economy to stray from the recommended oil choice... And time and effort will expand at cost versus doing it right to begin with.

Teach her where to get the parts for good prices and how to DIY the change and cut costs that way. That's just smart economics. Doubt the ML even needs to go up on ramps...

REALLY !

I'm the changing the oil in a [censored] car and don't want any $1.98 advice about life lessons. You want me to PM you their entire history as to why they have the MB and why they are in the situation their in now?? Just do me a favor and close the thread !

Considering that a typical 15W-40 dino is about 80% thicker at room temperature and almost 150% thicker at 32F, yes I'd say there would be a measureable difference in fuel economy assuming one actually would consider using such an obsolete auto oil choice (No offence Garat).

Fortunately the OP wasn't considering such an extreme and ultimately ineffective choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back