Whats a viable option for M1 0w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can empthasize. My first wife came standard with a high-mileage E30 she got for her 16th birthday. That thing was a money pit. I worked on it myself to save money, and that cost about as much as taking my car at that time, an 11 year old Honda, to the dealer. But at least the E30 seemed to live happily on Castrol GTX 20w50. And it was fun to drive, so long as you didn't provoke it too much and have the rear end want to swap places with the front.

I guess one good thing about an ML320 is that probably has an excellent safety rating, so there's that. So as a father that probably makes you sleep well at night.

I just worry about the lessons that young kids are bombarded with today. It takes time and effort to gain the finer things in life. Like excellent grades in school, hard work when you're on the bottom of the totem pole, learning to live with less than you had at home, and so on.

As a point of comparison, I have a fairly young relative who makes a 6 figure salary that doesn't start with a 1, and she drives very modest vehicles. She had a 10 year old CR-V up until last year when it was totaled in an accident. She decided to spend a little more money after that and got a new Golf TDI as she wanted a hatchback that got great mileage but still was fun to drive. When she went overseas, she sold the Golf and when she got to the location she is in now, bought a 2 year old Xterra from another US xpat that was leaving to go back home.

After reading 5 pages of stuff Im still not sure anyone has give any reason why 5w40 wont work. Excluding the this vs that arguments, is there anything in particular with that engine to prevent 5w40 being used. I know some are very sensitive to oil viscosity and other engines can run on just about anything. Sorry if i missed it as there was a lot of stuff to read thru. I dont like threads that go like this one has. The guy just wanted to know if there was a cheaper alternative because he didnt want to spend the 8 or 9 dollars per qt for M1. I dont blame him. I can afford M1, but if i can buy 5w40 for 10 or 15 dollars less thats what i would do. I cant imagine a lot of situations where 0w40 is perfect but 5w40 is unusable.

Originally Posted By: jstutz
After reading 5 pages of stuff Im still not sure anyone has give any reason why 5w40 wont work. Excluding the this vs that arguments, is there anything in particular with that engine to prevent 5w40 being used. I know some are very sensitive to oil viscosity and other engines can run on just about anything. Sorry if i missed it as there was a lot of stuff to read thru. I dont like threads that go like this one has. The guy just wanted to know if there was a cheaper alternative because he didnt want to spend the 8 or 9 dollars per qt for M1. I dont blame him. I can afford M1, but if i can buy 5w40 for 10 or 15 dollars less thats what i would do. I cant imagine a lot of situations where 0w40 is perfect but 5w40 is unusable.

Most 5w40s are synthetic and aren't that much, if any, cheaper than M1 0w40. That's my conclusion from reading the thread. He may as well just get the M1 0w40.

Maybe he cant get it cheaper. Maybe he dont want to look around for it cheaper. I believe if there were the same regular price and availability this tread would not exist.

Originally Posted By: typ901
Sure. Castrol 5w-40 is 229.3 approved, but M-1 0w-40 is 229.5. Valvoline 5w-40 HST is 229.5..., PU 5w-40 is 229.5. Other than that you could get M1 5w-40 T&SUV which is 229.3, Or GC 0w-30 is 229.5. Q-HP 5w-40 is 229.5

These are the easiest to source, and have formal OEM approval.

AFAIK, Valvoline Synpower 5w-40 HST only comes in 55-gal drums. But hey, you'd be set for life.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: typ901
Sure. Castrol 5w-40 is 229.3 approved, but M-1 0w-40 is 229.5. Valvoline 5w-40 HST is 229.5..., PU 5w-40 is 229.5. Other than that you could get M1 5w-40 T&SUV which is 229.3, Or GC 0w-30 is 229.5. Q-HP 5w-40 is 229.5

These are the easiest to source, and have formal OEM approval.

AFAIK, Valvoline Synpower 5w-40 HST only comes in 55-gal drums. But hey, you'd be set for life.
smile.gif

Yeah- According to Valvoline you are correct. I chose to leave that part out.

Name 5W-40 Motor Oil
Size 55-Gal
Part VV929
UPC 0-74130-00966-0

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bambam
We don't get the "cool" oils like you guys in Canada !
frown.gif

Be nice to get some XD flavors down here.

Strange isn't it, how easy it is to get German and French oils in the USA, and how much more difficult it is to get Canadian oils.
21.gif
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Originally Posted By: Bambam
We don't get the "cool" oils like you guys in Canada !
frown.gif

Be nice to get some XD flavors down here.

Strange isn't it, how easy it is to get German and French oils in the USA, and how much more difficult it is to get Canadian oils.
21.gif
grin2.gif

I hear ya.
08.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back