What's a secure way to send a payment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to buy some wheels from a guy I don't know who lives in another state. I don't trust Paypal anymore since I was getting scandalous messages from them a while back, so is there another way to send a payment without having no recourse in case the seller tries to screw me?

A money order or cashier's check. Be sure to write it out for more than the amount seller is asking and ask for the difference in cash....
whistle.gif

Honestly, PayPal is probably one of the better options for a personal sale. Otherwise there is Zelle built into a lot of major bank apps, and plenty of other money sending services. Of course there's always good ole Western Union as well. If all else fails, mail a box filled with loose change.

Originally Posted By: HorseThief
A money order or cashier's check. Be sure to write it out for more than the amount seller is asking and ask for the difference in cash....
whistle.gif

What does this do?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: HorseThief
whistle.gif

What does this do?

I think he was being facetious...

Originally Posted By: grampi
I'm looking to buy some wheels from a guy I don't know who lives in another state. I don't trust Paypal anymore since I was getting scandalous messages from them a while back, so is there another way to send a payment without having no recourse in case the seller tries to screw me?

I don't even know what this means. As a buyer Paypal is probably the way to go as you at least have some recourse. Any other method means you never get the money back if there's an issue with the seller. Paypal can be bad if you're the seller, not the buyer. If you're worried about the stability of paypal, just don't have any extra money in the account.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: grampi

I don't even know what this means. As a buyer Paypal is probably the way to go as you at least have some recourse. Any other method means you never get the money back if there's an issue with the seller. Paypal can be bad if you're the seller, not the buyer. If you're worried about the stability of paypal, just don't have any extra money in the account.

At one time I had a Paypal account. Paypal kept sending me messages stating that transactions were being made with my account, which was not true. I tried contacting them several times about the issue, but they just continued sending me these messages, so I canceled my account. I never did find out why they kept sending me those messages...

Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by Wolf359

At one time I had a Paypal account. Paypal kept sending me messages stating that transactions were being made with my account, which was not true. I tried contacting them several times about the issue, but they just continued sending me these messages, so I canceled my account. I never did find out why they kept sending me those messages...

Just start up a new account. Use a new email address, new credit card. I've never gotten anything like that, could have just been scammers trying to get your paypal info.

Just start up a new account. Use a new email address, new credit card. I've never gotten anything like that, could have just been scammers trying to get your paypal info.

I read "scandalous" and thought the scoundrels had naked pictures of Grampi.

Most likely that wasn't PayPal but you were getting spoofed to cough up your login info
PayPal doesn't contact you like that.

Originally Posted by Leo99
I read "scandalous" and thought the scoundrels had naked pictures of Grampi.

Taking those pics would be hard on the camera!

Zelle is a new player to the game, but is directly tied in with the banks, so the money goes direct from one account to the other with no middle man. It also utilizes security and fraud protection that utilizes information garnered directly from participant banks.

There is no secure way. Paypal is among the best.. but usually its the seller who gets screwd somehow.

Buying through ebay or a site sometimes gives you additional protection.

PayPal may be the most secure and safest route. What does western union or money gram have to offer.? You driving to pick up the wheels or shipping to you, my biggest worry is the seller not sending the wheels.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Originally Posted by HorseThief
whistle.gif

What does this do?

It's a common tactic of Craigslist fraudsters using fake money orders and certified checks. They get you for whatever you where selling and then a little extra cash as an extra F U or to pay a freight shipper to get the goods to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back