What is cash app and why would a Facebook Seller want Cash App instead of Venmo or Paypal?

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Found a hood and two fenders in San Antonio TX on Facebook marketplace. I offered to pay via Venmo or Paypal, Seller response was Cash App. I don't know anything about Cash App- worth/ safe to use?

It’s just another form of payment. Most of the older platforms like PayPal aren't used as much by the newer generation of buyers. It is similar to Venmo in that you link it to your bank account and such. I still use PayPal when I sell online, for me, it’s been a stable platform. Just, like any Craigslist or marketplace transaction, be wary of scammers.

Its the same thing essentially as far as I know.. I had to get it to pay some guys for a metal building since they didn't have venmo or paypal..

Reactions: GON
Cash app is fine. I prefer Zelle as it goes straight into my bank account.

Used cash app for a few years. No issues but just make sure you have the parts and pay right there to avoid the "I didn't get it" nonsense
Issue I ran into was when I confirmed the paint color was stone gray, the Seller responded "we can paint it any color you want". Not a confident response.

I think the biggest issue with Cash App in this circumstance is you won't have any protection as a buyer like you would with PayPal or Venmo.

I think the biggest issue with Cash App in this circumstance is you won't have any protection as a buyer like you would with PayPal or Venmo.
Yeah, like PayPal, Venmo has a buyer protection feature you can enable for a fee. If they ask you to send it friends and family or whatever it’s called to not enable buyer protection it’s probably a scam.

Cashapp is legit but I think it doesn’t have that option, so just be careful!

• Helpful
Safe as long as you trust the seller no refunds. But i see you use venmo so you know about trusting sellers with no refund policies
Found a hood and two fenders in San Antonio TX on Facebook marketplace. I offered to pay via Venmo or Paypal, Seller response was Cash App. I don't know anything about Cash App- worth/ safe to use?

It’s just another form of payment. Most of the older platforms like PayPal aren't used as much by the newer generation of buyers. It is similar to Venmo in that you link it to your bank account and such. I still use PayPal when I sell online, for me, it’s been a stable platform. Just, like any Craigslist or marketplace transaction, be wary of scammers.
if these young whipper snappers think they know better, might be useful to remind them that Venmo is owned by PayPal.

if these young whipper snappers think they know better, might be useful to remind them that Venmo is owned by PayPal.
Some people have issues with PayPal (and Venmo) policies and don't use them.

As others mentioned, it is another electronic payment option. It is one that has no buyer/fraud protection.
It is something I use for face to face transactions only.

Cash App is the only electronic payment I have that works. I refuse to deal with Paypal/Venmo due to their firearms policy (well, their initial view, it "changed" once it was found out), and I can't get Zelle to work with my debit card.
My credit union has no official electronic payment program (they were using Zelle, but I never signed up when they were using it, so can't use it now, although my daughter signed up when they had it and it still works for her).
I did just use Apple Cash the other day to buy a motorcycle helmet, but I trusted the seller to ship it (and he did). Not sure if that has any buyer protections.

• Helpful
I use Cash App, PayPal, Venmo and Apple Pay. Have had good luck with all of them. I use PayPal the most as I am most familiar with that one since I grew up with it. And they all are convenient too since you can get their debit cards (except Apple Pay) to use at a store or something. Cash App has no protection though the only thing you can do is report someone but you have to have lots of proof you didn’t get whatever and so on.

Back