What're your home thermostat settings?

In Florida its been cold lately and working from home now. I keep the heat at 73 in the winter and AC at 79 in the summer. Largest power bill for 2020 was 151.00

I used to laugh when my parents said it was cold in FL, assuming it never got below, say, 50F.

We were down visiting during the holidays one year and it got down below freezing. We were at Disney Epcot and had to stop at every country to find a different piece of winter gear. A beanie in Canada, a scarf in France, gloves in China. lol We were totally unprepared.

I like it warm and cozy, they like it a bit cooler. If it were up to them, it'd be at 70 24/7.

I've gotten used to the cold. I also don't mind bundling up a bit in the house. Having a beanie, scarf, and socks on makes me feel cozy. I actually like to fall asleep in my chair, all bundled up in a thick blanket in the LR @ 50F. I sometimes sleep better there than in bed.

With that said, I think my place, having been built in 1980, could really use some more insulation. I'll have to figure out a way to calculate any savings on a new water heater, as well. I'm not a fan of replacing what ain't broken, but I also know that the older a heater gets the more you're asking for issues. Our old one in the condo before we moved was not as old and started peeing water. Luckily we caught it in time.

As I mentioned before, the gov hand-out might be put to good use there, especially if we get even more. I'm not a fan of gov hand-outs, btw, but if we're going to get them I might as well put it to good use.

I run mine at 55 during the day and 60 when I'm home. If it wasn't for the cat I'd run it at 50 when I'm not home.

I like the cold so 60 is very comfortable for me. My gas bill last month was $90.
I'm in the process of increasing the insulation over the next few months.
Right now I think I have something like R13 in the attic. The insulation is only five inches deep.
I'm planning on jumping that up to R60.

I've gotten used to the cold. I also don't mind bundling up a bit in the house. Having a beanie, scarf, and socks on makes me feel cozy. I actually like to fall asleep in my chair, all bundled up in a thick blanket in the LR @ 50F. I sometimes sleep better there than in bed.

With that said, I think my place, having been built in 1980, could really use some more insulation. I'll have to figure out a way to calculate any savings on a new water heater, as well. I'm not a fan of replacing what ain't broken, but I also know that the older a heater gets the more you're asking for issues. Our old one in the condo before we moved was not as old and started peeing water. Luckily we caught it in time.

As I mentioned before, the gov hand-out might be put to good use there, especially if we get even more. I'm not a fan of gov hand-outs, btw, but if we're going to get them I might as well put it to good use.
We keep our house between 64 and 75 in the winter.... We are heating with a heat pump and depending on current outside temperature and anticipated temp I will try to capitalize on the warmer daytime temps to maximize the efficiency of the heat pump. I have the Backup heat strips disabled so we do not kick on the expensive resistance heat by swinging the temps like we do. I try to raise the tempurature in the house during the afternoon and early evening to "bank" up some heat inside. This strategy seems to work well for us.

If it is going to be below 10 degrees I kick the heat up and hold it there, I have found the heat pump will run nonstop to keep the house at 66 or 72 when its that cold so it doesn't matter much. Our house holds the heat fairly well if its not windy, if its 5 degrees with 20 mph wind we have to use the auxiliary heat alot more than I like, no way of avoiding that. We run the heat pump until outside temperatures reach zero or below.

Do you have central air? I assume you do not have natural gas.

We are an all electric house and I really cut the electric bill by getting a higher efficiency air source heat pump. The nice thing about a heat pump is it leverages your money, for every 1 dollar in electricity you put into it, you will get anywhere from 2 to 4 dollars of heat from it depending on ambient temps, seer, hspf ect....

It might be worth looking into a mini split heat pump for the main room of your house, I have seen them for around a thousand bucks and you can install it yourself if you are into that sort of thing.

Straight electric heat, while having an efficiency of 100% is a killer on utility bills.

I always tell my wife if we had natural gas I would keep the house at 78 degrees, windows open and it would still be cheaper than electric heat! lol.

Last edited:
Summer - 74 degrees cooling. Winter - 68 degrees heating.

Nest sets back to 84 during the summer for cooling but never really exceeds 76-78 during any given 10 hour work day. I don't let it setback from 68 during winter because of animals at home and a fish tank whose heater already heats to low end of acceptable even with ambient at 68 degrees.

Oil furnace with 5 zones (4 living space zones; 4 upstairs bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, kitchen/living room open floorplan, library/dining/spare room off garage). Most are set to 60 with bedrooms zone 62 at night or when kids not in school (COVID). Shorts and flippy floppies are fine at 62F. I do feel 64F is my personal ideal temp in winter.

Back