Whatever happened to......

Plain Jane work trucks offered new from the manufacturers. It wasn't many years ago you could buy a single cab,rubber floor, bench seat, manual transmission, manual cranked window, non a.c., non cruise control, etc. There is surely a market for this type of vehicle when the entry level pickups are $30k and reach $90k if you want it all. I think there is a place in the market for this approach again. You listening Detroit? Japan? Korea?

If the stripped down trucks had continued to sell in numbers that made a profit, they would still be made.

Curious. Why? I think 4WD trucks are stupid for the majority of folks who own them.

No problem.. If I have a TRUCK with all that ground clearance, I really don't think it makes sense to be stuck in the snow or sliding up a hill or driving on NY Rt. 19.

Maybe it is the New Yorker in me. Maybe it is the New York State winters, back when we used to actually have winter. 4WD was almost a necessity, not just for snow banks.

They are going to build 1) what sells and 2) what they can max profit on.
If sales need stoked, they'll bring on rebates and/ or factory to dealer cash.
You can't get all you described, but can get most at a truck dealer whose sales are geared toward fleet sales.

There were always base model S-10s with manual trans and I think they even had a 4 cylinder.. are you talking about actual full size trucks as well, like a 1997 and prior F-150?

I've owned four trucks.
All were 2wd.
They went through anything that I needed them to go through.
Driving skill and proper preparation go a long way.

Did you keep weight in the back? I've seen that done too. Can achieve what you say.

Maybe I should re-word. I am not saying 2WD trucks can't be driven. Of course they can. Just that a 4WD truck is more capable. And 4-Hi you are less likely to be sliding on a snow-packed road up a hill.. when RWD 2WD truck gets blown around easier. Seen that happen a lot.

This is why I asked if you maybe keep weight in the back, ohh, 200-300lbs, 50lbs bags of road salt?

Last edited:
Did you keep weight in the back? I've seen that done too. Can achieve what you say.

Yes.
Sandbags, and a good pair of snow tires can make a 2wd move well.
Since I have retired, I even forego the snow tires.
I usually go with 3 or 4 tubes of sand in the back of my Ranger.
I have cruised right by many 4wd SUV's and PU's resting in the ditch.

Yes.
Sandbags, and a good pair of snow tires can make a 2wd move well.
Since I have retired, I even forego the snow tires.
I usually go with 3 or 4 tubes of sand in the back of my Ranger.
I have cruised right by many 4wd SUV's and PU's resting in the ditch.

Well those 4WDers in the ditch obviously do not know how to drive! :)

I did edit my reply also. -
Maybe I should re-word. I am not saying 2WD trucks can't be driven. Of course they can. Just that a 4WD truck is more capable. And 4-Hi you are less likely to be sliding on a snow-packed road up a hill.. when RWD 2WD truck gets blown around easier. Seen that happen a lot.

This is why I asked if you maybe keep weight in the back, ohh, 200-300lbs, 50lbs bags of road salt?

The NYer in me just calls a 2WD truck stupid lol. So are cars so low to the ground they cannot leave parking lots..

Really. it depends where you are located.
In Central Ohio, I'm fine with what I have.
I used to work in NE Ohio. Did it with a 2wd Ranger for awhile. Then I purchased a 4wd Explorer.
The whole time I had that Explorer, I had it in 4wd one time.
Went back to a 2wd Ranger. I have never had an issue.
However, we now have an AWD vehicle in the fleet. We'll see how that does this winter.
If it is all that bad, I just stay home.

Reactions: NDL
No problem.. If I have a TRUCK with all that ground clearance, I really don't think it makes sense to be stuck in the snow or sliding up a hill or driving on NY Rt. 19.

Maybe it is the New Yorker in me. Maybe it is the New York State winters, back when we used to actually have winter. 4WD was almost a necessity, not just for snow banks.
Didn't realizer you were a New Yorker. I agree with 4WD in your case. I am used to seeing 4WD trucks here in the deep south that have NEVER been off of the pavement and will never see snow.

Plain Jane work trucks offered new from the manufacturers. It wasn't many years ago you could buy a single cab,rubber floor, bench seat, manual transmission, manual cranked window, non a.c., non cruise control, etc. There is surely a market for this type of vehicle
Maybe that market isn't as big as you think. Most people expect their new vehicle to have A/C, auto trans, and CC these days, just like they expect smartphone integration.

With that said, if you look, you can still find some bare bones "Tradesman" full size trucks out there, like this 2020 RAM for well below $20K:
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=560969994

I get 8” of precipitation a year where I live and it’s regularly 80° In January. Why exactly do I need 4wd in my truck?

Curious. Why? I think 4WD trucks are stupid for the majority of folks who own them.
I worked for the federal government for 6 years. We had a 4WD vehicle for access to "the wilds" during bad weather. We were not allowed to use 4WD to go anywhere, but we could use it to get home.

When I was growing up no-one had a 4WD. Trucks were 2WD and people went everywhere with them.

I've lived in big cities where raised 4WD trucks were a very common vehicle. I'd have to wonder how many of them ever got off the pavement.

Reactions: NDL

My RWD truck handles NY 19 just fine. So did all the sedans and hatchbacks I've owned.

From my own experience (although only with cars and not with trucks) driving in snow, proper winter tires will do more for you than AWD.

When I shopped trucks in 2018 … there were many entry level regular cab F150 4WD’s …
but other makes were like hens teeth …

Plain Jane work trucks offered new from the manufacturers. It wasn't many years ago you could buy a single cab,rubber floor, bench seat, manual transmission, manual cranked window, non a.c., non cruise control, etc. There is surely a market for this type of vehicle when the entry level pickups are $30k and reach $90k if you want it all. I think there is a place in the market for this approach again. You listening Detroit? Japan? Korea?

My $60K pickup has a rubber floor material.

Back