My Nephew's First Vehicle purchase

as some my have seen from my posts over in the random pics thread, My 19yr old Nephew, after much searching, bought HIS first vehicle. (until now he's had a hand-me-down 05 Impala from his Mom - my Sister)
screenshot_20210421-190909-jpg.54975

Sorry for the low res image, I forgot to take any pics when i was there today, all we have is my screenshot of the pic his dad posted on FB.....

anyway...
1999 F150 XL - ~90k mi (didn't catch the exact mileage, digital odometer, and the kid was asleep, works 3rd shift)
RWD, 4.2 Essex V6, 5 speed manual, Rubber Floor mats (No Carpet), crank windows, manual locks, cloth bench (which he wants to change, doesn't like the angle of the lower cushion...)
and basically NO RUST. there's a tiny bit starting on the bottom of the passengers door, where the skin is folded over and attached, easily remediated.
it was a Florida Truck, only been through an ohio winter the last 2 years, when it mostly sat... (Assuming the owner was a snowbird, and brought the truck home when they couldn't make the trip any longer)
Now, being a 20 yr old Florida Truck, OF COURSE the Clear is Peeling on all the horizontal surfaces. and the Hood has marks that almost look like someone was using it as a cutting board for years. but... parts should be basically everywhere for these...
he only paid $2850 for it, so if he decides he doesn't want to keep it, there should be NO problem selling it...maybe even for a profit... ( the Seller said they had like 7 people "lined up wanting to buy it" but he was the first one to speak to her politely, and in words she could understand, and more importantly, show up with Cash in hand. )

so... anything we need to keep an eye on with the 10th Gen F-series(97-03)? or the essex?

His biggest thing is getting a feel for the clutch, and he just basically needs more practice with a manual....( this is the first one in their family since his Dad's Dakota disintegrated Returned to the Earth a couple years before the Kid was old enough to drive)

Looks like a clean truck. It'd fetch more than that here as a southern truck with no real rust, no doubt. On the chance he doesn't want to keep it, he should have no issue selling it at a profit, IMHO. I'd touch up the rust, change the fluids/air filter, throw some Techron/Gumout Regane in, and go from there. They're solid trucks as far as I can tell, and I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

My grandpa had a '91 that was pretty similar, a generation older (though a "loaded" XLT with the Windsor V8 and 5-speed) when I was growing up, and I don't know that it ever dealt him much trouble at all. That one was a Nebraska truck its whole life, and so it turned to Swiss cheese sometime in its second decade, but was mechanically solid (and was what I learned to drive stick on, so I have some good memories with it). This '99 adds airbags and other features making it quite a bit more modern, but with what seems to be the same simplicity of older trucks - not a bad compromise in my book. I believe a/c may still've been optional; does this one have it?

Last edited:
Those are pretty good trucks......The Intake Runner Control Rods popping off & Collapsed Upper Plenum Isolators (Vacuum Leaks) are common problem areas. As is the Waste Spark Coil breaking down & the EGR DPFE Sensor failing causing a false Insufficient EGR Flow DTC.

Cooling system corrosion always seemed to be an issue with these from poor maintenance....Change the coolant often or switch to a ELC after a thorough flush.

Those rims SCREAM 1999. Not bad though for $2850. Nice find.
they're even better in person.... the silver bits are painted...by hand...with a brush...

also the tires are ~8 yrs old..(0113 date coded), so it needs tires...

and when we put the hood up to peek around, discovered the hood struts need replaced...I've already ordered a set from Mr. Bezos' Emporium.
they were about the same price as the little clamps you'll see mechanics put on them to lock them open.

Last edited:
I am a firm believer that young males should start with a lifetime pickup.
Plain 70's trucks are now getting, what double original cost?
It makes so much sense...
Ya' learn, do chores, carry sports, protect the car you earn in a couple of years, rolls right into family life as 3rd car spare, and again chores and such.
I also observe this pattern doesn't offend young ladies as they learn to rule their world.

Just make sure it is "HIS" vehicle, not his vehicle.
IE: don't go buying parts and advising him what he should do, let him do it? roger that...
the hood struts... it's a part most people DON'T replace... they just get a stick... but I'm one of those that always replaced them when they go out, as I consider it a safety item(keeps the hood from drpping down on your noggin!), and the stupid prop rods (like my current car has) drive me bonkers....I just don't like them...

I'm, rationalizing it as "I bought him a $20 safety item, that he likely wouldn't have bothered replacing."

the only other thing i was considering getting him was a Bluetooth Cassette adapter. again, like $20. but i went with the "safety" item over the "luxury" item.

IF i had my old Kenwood Head unit and Bluetooth kit from my old neon Handy, I'd likely offer it to him, but it's still in said neon, with my buddy's brother at Ft...Campbell, KY
I made it abundantly clear when i put it back in, that it's a free to use loan as long as he keeps the car, but if he sells the car(junks trades in, etc) i want it back...
( i have a Sirius Tuner for it with a lifetime subscription... that's only compatible with headunits up to a certain age... not anything you can buy now..)

Last edited:
as some my have seen from my posts over in the random pics thread, My 19yr old Nephew, after much searching, bought HIS first vehicle. (until now he's had a hand-me-down 05 Impala from his Mom - my Sister)
screenshot_20210421-190909-jpg.54975

Sorry for the low res image, I forgot to take any pics when i was there today, all we have is my screenshot of the pic his dad posted on FB.....

anyway...
1999 F150 XL - ~90k mi (didn't catch the exact mileage, digital odometer, and the kid was asleep, works 3rd shift)
RWD, 4.2 Essex V6, 5 speed manual, Rubber Floor mats (No Carpet), crank windows, manual locks, cloth bench (which he wants to change, doesn't like the angle of the lower cushion...)
and basically NO RUST. there's a tiny bit starting on the bottom of the passengers door, where the skin is folded over and attached, easily remediated.
it was a Florida Truck, only been through an ohio winter the last 2 years, when it mostly sat... (Assuming the owner was a snowbird, and brought the truck home when they couldn't make the trip any longer)
Now, being a 20 yr old Florida Truck, OF COURSE the Clear is Peeling on all the horizontal surfaces. and the Hood has marks that almost look like someone was using it as a cutting board for years. but... parts should be basically everywhere for these...
he only paid $2850 for it, so if he decides he doesn't want to keep it, there should be NO problem selling it...maybe even for a profit... ( the Seller said they had like 7 people "lined up wanting to buy it" but he was the first one to speak to her politely, and in words she could understand, and more importantly, show up with Cash in hand. )

so... anything we need to keep an eye on with the 10th Gen F-series(97-03)? or the essex?

His biggest thing is getting a feel for the clutch, and he just basically needs more practice with a manual....( this is the first one in their family since his Dad's Dakota disintegrated Returned to the Earth a couple years before the Kid was old enough to drive)
Good looking truck, and the price is good too.

Awesome truck. Easy to get parts for. I didn’t know they made any of those with a V6, hopefully it’s longitudinal as they are usually easier to work on.

okay... so i got hims some more stuff....well, the only other things i bought were the Bluetooth Cassette adapter i mentioned, and a Ford key Chain.
I also cleaned out my Stash a bit, gave him 2 Filters, (FL-400s, and Wix 51516) and enough oil for 3 changes. (6qts MC 5w20; 10 qts of QS 5w30, and 2 qts of mostly Xw30 frankenbrew. ), a Pennzoil branded Fender cover i've had for years but never actually used, and a Phone mount. (he's 19, of course he'll be using his phone for music/maps/etc... I'm not gonna pretend he's not...)

it's that wonderful era where it was originally spec'd for 5w30, but then ford changed EVERYTHING to 5w20...

now AFAIK, all it needs (besides the clear sanded back and resprayed) is Tires.
the current ones are from 2013.. not ancient, but "expired" and worn enough he needs new rubber before the snow flies again.

any suggestions for a 3PMS rated 235/70 16? or more importantly, any in particular to stay the heck away from?

Last edited:
Back