Whatever happened to those, Take a penny/leave a penny trays at the cashier?

I always tip with cash, and I always hand the cash to the server in their hand and say "thank you" :) I'm always hoping they keep it and it doesn't go into a sleazy tipping pool, because that wouldn't be fair to the server who waited on me.

The way I see it is fewer and fewer people pay with cash nowadays, and when they are paying cash fewer and fewer of them are doing the take and leave pennies thing.

Words on the internet is that it cost a lot of money handling cash nowadays due to robberies and accounting, unless it is a tip based business I do not see why people want to do that, and even if it is a tip based business they would rather you tip the changes instead of rounding to dollar or quarters. We start seeing places targeting middle class and above, and they don't take cash (i.e. Sweet Green), only card and maybe Apple Pay, online payment, etc. I think this will be a trend that's long overdue.

Whenever I go to Safeway I dump the pennies in the self checkout before I run my credit card, many vending machines don't even take them anymore so might as well clear things out.
I like cash. I don't like having all my purchases tracked.

If a place does not take cash, I would not go there.

Cash has value and meaning (no pun intended).
It hurts to pay for something with cash. This is a good thing.
I feel nothing if I pay by credit card. This is a bad thing.

I've found the elimination of the penny has significantly reduced the number of "take a penny/leave a penny" trays.

Be grateful you even have a "penny" in your currency.

Given Canada's astronomical living costs, they abolished it almost 10 years ago (due to it's uselessness).
As a result, everything has become more expensive.
They've been toying with the idea of abolishing the "nickel" (5 cent piece) for a few years as well.

Reactions: JC1
still at my local gas n' go. Leave loose change there, they left it there in the tray till recently. but I do believe they 'sweep' it into the till lately.
Hear the jingle as I walk out of the store. Maybe times are getting tighter than they already were?????? Is that even possible? Who's to say. ?

Be grateful you even have a "penny" in your currency.

Given Canada's astronomical living costs, they abolished it almost 10 years ago (due to it's uselessness).
As a result, everything has become more expensive.
They've been toying with the idea of abolishing the "nickel" (5 cent piece) for a few years as well.
had an uncle who told us we do not get any McDonald's while visiting. (Manitoba)
As I recall, he was miffed they did not use local wheat from farmers like him for their buns so Burger King it is. (or was)
Strange place back then. Early 1980s. Sounds more desperate now. Oh well. Enjoy your bags of milk & gasoline by the liter.

• Haha
Reactions: JC1
You get kickbacks or rather rewards for using a credit card.
I know that, but the credit card machine at that place acts up and the cashier sometimes had to redo the transaction and press the no tip button for me. Forgoing 18 cents of cash back is worth not being subject to her stares.

I’ve got say, I’m just glad there are still places that have actual PEOPLE WORKING a register and a give a penny/take a penny thing.

I can’t stand this self checkout stuff most of the time and it’s not practical to pay with cash at those things when you use them.

But self checkout? I can’t stand it at home depot, Lowe’s, food shopping, Walmart. And usually there’s 3-4 employees standing right there, on their phones, talking gossip, laughing/joking. Last week at Home Depot there were four teenage kids standing there or their phones, just having a ball looking at memes and tic toc videos, and I’m like...there’s 50 people standing behind me, bending around the corner to the lighting department. Anyone going to open up a register? Jesus.

Went to Qdoba for dinner and the total was $9.01. I avoid using a credit card there because it has those machines where you have to enter, no tip, if you're not leaving one. Hand over a twenty thinking they will just hand me back $11. Nope, a ten and a handful of coins. Not complaining or implying I'm entitled. Just making an observation.
Why no tip? Are waitpersons in your area getting full pay now instead of below min wage + tip?
or is this a buy at the counter and take it to a table yourself kind of joint?
Never Heard of Qdoba.
Last tex mex chain we enjoyed around here was Chi Chi's in the 80's

I can’t stand this self checkout stuff most of the time and it’s not practical to pay with cash at those things when you use them.
I think you just put the bills in the slot and it gives you change. Not difficult unless you have tattered bills.
I always forget to scan my coupons :( Not that I use them a lot.

I live in a small town. Life here in my county is completely back to normal with no masks being worn and no new cases for the last few months.
Several local stores still have the “take a penny, give a penny” trays. However, I can’t comment on how sanitary they are. I let the cashier take any needed pennies.
Funny thing is copper is anti bacterial. Thats why they used to make IUD's out of it. Silver is too.

What are you people talking about? What is a penny? ;) Canada got rid of them almost 10 years ago.:D
100 pennies equal $1.00, 100 $1.00 equals $100 etc etc etc, in th US banks actually have machines where people dump in buckets, bottles of pennies and the machine counts them and gives you a receipt so the bank will convert to paper money, money never sleeps freind even pennie$

I usually use my card to pay at a restaurant, however I like to tip in cash. I've had a few times I think the cashier thought I was stiffing the server. I tell them I'm leaving the tip in cash.
Having known people who worked as servers, waiters/waitresses, etc, they'll tell you that you should always tip in cash and not put it on your card. There are of course "legal" and/or "ethical" factors behind doing it this way though. Not on you, the tipper, but on the recipient...

I pretty much always use my Amazon Visa since I get rewards and pay it off twice a month. We still have the penny pile at work but it is behind the counter and I use it to make even change for people. I would say less than 10% of people pay with cash and maybe 1% of non businesses pay with a check.

Back