Whatever happened to those, Take a penny/leave a penny trays at the cashier?

I pretty much always use my Amazon Visa since I get rewards and pay it off twice a month.
That is probably overkill. I just have mine set to automatically pay the balance every month. I don't even have to write a check or lift a finger. That way you can take advantage of the float. I think my credit limit is over 20k so I never even get close and my fico is in the 800 range, probably more due to the mortgages I have.

Why no tip? Are waitpersons in your area getting full pay now instead of below min wage + tip?
or is this a buy at the counter and take it to a table yourself kind of joint?
Never Heard of Qdoba.
Last tex mex chain we enjoyed around here was Chi Chi's in the 80's

Order, pay and pickup at the counter. No servers. $15/hour minimum wage around here so I don't feel the least bit guilty not tipping. That's more than I make. It's a small DC/Baltimore chain. The best chicken quesadillas. https://www.qdoba.com/

As a Canadian….what’s a penny?

As a human, what’s cash?

The US is slow to adopt pretty much anything. I think most people are still signing credit card transactions.

No penny in Canada for almost a decade, Australia got rid of it in 1991.

Not to mention one and two dollar bills. Probably not all that long until we get rid of the nickel, too.

Order, pay and pickup at the counter. No servers. $15/hour minimum wage around here so I don't feel the least bit guilty not tipping. That's more than I make. It's a small DC/Baltimore chain. The best chicken quesadillas. https://www.qdoba.com/
It's a pretty large national chain based in Colorado lol. But, it is also my go-to so can't argue with you there.

Having known people who worked as servers, waiters/waitresses, etc, they'll tell you that you should always tip in cash and not put it on your card. There are of course "legal" and/or "ethical" factors behind doing it this way though. Not on you, the tipper, but on the recipient...
It "depends". When we have business lunch of 20 people at at time how do you think we can reimburse our tips in cash when our receipt is credit card? We will tip them the standard way, like 15-18% but don't make it difficult when people are spending like $400-500 at a time.

I like cash. I don't like having all my purchases tracked.

If a place does not take cash, I would not go there.

Cash has value and meaning (no pun intended).
It hurts to pay for something with cash. This is a good thing.
I feel nothing if I pay by credit card. This is a bad thing.
Good for you. I would love cash if they are more "meaningful" like we round up to quarters and coin up to $20, then paper bill $50 and above. In 2021 we still have pennies.... that vending machines no longer take, and for crying out loud we are still using paper dollar bill that got worn to be rejected and nobody accept above $20 bill because they may be fake.....

Seriously, I think most cash transaction has been inconvenient and frustration now. I do agree that credit card companies charging 3.5% is too much but when you are not paying more for credit card pay and get a cash back rebate, there really isn't a reason to use cash anymore.

I think you just put the bills in the slot and it gives you change. Not difficult unless you have tattered bills.
I always forget to scan my coupons :( Not that I use them a lot.
Yeah, I just have too many memories of trying to stuff a dollar into a coke machine or trying to get quarters at an arcade. Been there done that, not going back. 😂😂😂

The US is slow to adopt pretty much anything. I think most people are still signing credit card transactions.

No penny in Canada for almost a decade, Australia got rid of it in 1991.

Not to mention one and two dollar bills. Probably not all that long until we get rid of the nickel, too.
Just before Covid I went down to Montana and used my credit card at a mall. I was pleased to see tap terminals but then I had to sign. What? Sign? Come on. ;)

Last place I worked paid highly skilled techs and assemblers that 1$4 - 17 hr. So I agree. Full wage + No table service = no tip.
I used to moderate my tips when I used to dine out when dating decades ago. If we drank two bottles of $35- 70 a bottle of wine, I am sure not giving 20% on a $200 tab for two people with easy service.
This is not being cheap, it's not being a sucker.

What ever happened to check outs manned by live homo sapiens? Walmart, June 24, not a live one to be seen. Local super market is going the same way. It's the sign of the times. Things change, that is the only constant.

Too many people testing the theory of doubling a penny every day to become a millionaire in less than a month.

Take a penny and double it every day.
Yes, I know the math. How is that supposed to make YOU a millionaire? Short of printing the money in the basement yourself, what legal and legit method lets you double your money every day. And why not start with a dollar? You would be a trillionaire after a 31 day month.

Last place I worked paid highly skilled techs and assemblers that 1$4 - 17 hr. So I agree. Full wage + No table service = no tip.
I used to moderate my tips when I used to dine out when dating decades ago. If we drank two bottles of $35- 70 a bottle of wine, I am sure not giving 20% on a $200 tab for two people with easy service.
This is not being cheap, it's not being a sucker.

One article I read is to keep the whole restaurant happy, some places have rotation where the chefs can be rotated to waiting tables so he or she can get some tips earning, while others the waiters have to take a portion of their tips to tip the chefs. Most restaurants would lose money when they are not selling alcohols, so yeah, that basically sums up the whole tipping is not a place in China nonsense.

In general I am not a fan of tips, but I would still follow what is expected if I visit these places. Luckily I hardly visit places that are fancy and I am happy to pay the way I am expected and if I think the place is not worth it, I would just not go, instead of visiting and then get upset about tips.

Take a penny and double it every day.
In theory that's what Wall Street is trying to sell you, basically they tell you things will go up N percent a year and they deserve a fraction of that whether you win or lose..... When you take a look at the big picture you realize it is all a bunch of nonsense.

Back