Whatever happened to those, Take a penny/leave a penny trays at the cashier?

Went to Qdoba for dinner and the total was $9.01. I avoid using a credit card there because it has those machines where you have to enter, no tip, if you're not leaving one. Hand over a twenty thinking they will just hand me back $11. Nope, a ten and a handful of coins. Not complaining or implying I'm entitled. Just making an observation.

I live in a small town. Life here in my county is completely back to normal with no masks being worn and no new cases for the last few months.
Several local stores still have the “take a penny, give a penny” trays. However, I can’t comment on how sanitary they are. I let the cashier take any needed pennies.

They wanted to make sure you had change to leave a tip. Or they get in trouble if the drawer is short so it's always exact change at those chain stores. The mom and pop are more relaxed and have those penny trays.

I live in a small town. Life here in my county is completely back to normal with no masks being worn and no new cases for the last few months.
Several local stores still have the “take a penny, give a penny” trays. However, I can’t comment on how sanitary they are. I let the cashier take any needed pennies.
Fomite transmission hasn't been an issue. I've been using cash throughout the last year. Plus you can always use hand sanitizer afterwards. Probably why cold and flu cases are way down this year.

As a Jew myself, I think atikovi must be a Jew since he obsesses with money all the time.

Joke for atikovi:

At the funeral of the richest man in town, a stranger saw atikovi crying very loudly. The stranger said, “Are you a relative of the deceased?”
“No.”
“Then why are you crying?”
“That’s why!”

The way I see it is fewer and fewer people pay with cash nowadays, and when they are paying cash fewer and fewer of them are doing the take and leave pennies thing.

Words on the internet is that it cost a lot of money handling cash nowadays due to robberies and accounting, unless it is a tip based business I do not see why people want to do that, and even if it is a tip based business they would rather you tip the changes instead of rounding to dollar or quarters. We start seeing places targeting middle class and above, and they don't take cash (i.e. Sweet Green), only card and maybe Apple Pay, online payment, etc. I think this will be a trend that's long overdue.

Whenever I go to Safeway I dump the pennies in the self checkout before I run my credit card, many vending machines don't even take them anymore so might as well clear things out.

We still have them and I don’t use credit cards for small/fast purchases …
often I don’t even want lesser coin change and just walk out …

To the OP, what's wrong with selecting "no tip" paying with a card? Everyone thinks they should earn a tip for simply showing up to work it seems...doesn't mean I tip them.
You get kickbacks or rather rewards for using a credit card.

I see them at convenience stores and restaurants often. I will sometimes use them. Sometimes it’s just a blank cup or little dish with pennies in it. Most places now have the things where they want you to leave your change for those fundraisers for people or things. Usually they are full too because I don’t know hardly anyone except me and my dad that carries change anymore.

They are still common in my neck of the woods. Sometimes they are empty, sometimes overflowing with pennies, I've even seen an odd nickel or dime in there.

I usually use my card to pay at a restaurant, however I like to tip in cash. I've had a few times I think the cashier thought I was stiffing the server. I tell them I'm leaving the tip in cash. Yes I'm socially awkward

They are still common in my neck of the woods. Sometimes they are empty, sometimes overflowing with pennies, I've even seen an odd nickel or dime in there.

I usually use my card to pay at a restaurant, however I like to tip in cash. I've had a few times I think the cashier thought I was stiffing the server. I tell them I'm leaving the tip in cash. Yes I'm socially awkward

I tip in cash as well. Don't really care about peoples feelings though.....I know I did the right thing & that's all that matters.
Really messes with my wife & kids when I don't play the Checking your cart/receipt at the door thing at Walmart & Sam's Club......I just tell them "No Thanks" & keep walking.

Back