What, you speeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got pulled over for going 47 in a 25 in a neighborhood
27.gif

I was in my 96' Chevy Silverado with the 5.7L, boy could it really go!

I told the cop the truth why I was speeding, my grandpa was meeting me at his friends house and he was lost, when I saw his Jeep go by I turned around and tried to catch up to him.

Got off with a warning.

My last speeding ticket was in 2012. I was legitimately driving like an [censored] and deserved to be pulled over. I did not argue with the cop, told him I was wrong and rushing for work, and while he wrote me a ticket, he told me he would not contest a reduced charge and he wrote the ticket for like 10 MPH under what he clocked me at. That was in NC.

Down here in AL, if you're speeding, they might just yell at you on the PA or get behind you and freak you out, then let you go. Now, if your vehicle is interesting to them for other reasons, you're probably screwed. Down here I think they are mostly after tag/registration discrepancies which might point to other criminal activity, and now they have the tools to check that out quickly. If your tag is good in AL, you have to really be driving like a nut to get pulled over.

My last speeding ticket was in 1971. Maryland State Trooper pulled me over as soon as I crossed over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge doing 70 in a 55. I just said yes sir and no sir as appropriate and went to traffic school. He got me fair and square, no excuses.

Was only caught once, doing 60 in a 35 MPH zone. Officer & I did a bunch of small talk about firearms and what rifle range I shot at. He gave me a warning ticket and told me to drive the last mile I had to get home carefully.

BTW, I've been driving for 56 years, been speeding for 56 years in everything from a 1950 Stud. Champ to a new Corvette. Car I was caught in? 1999 Geo Metro!! LOL

First warning - Johnson Space Center, Houston TX. I knew I was speeding, gave them no excuse, got a warning. I did have a box of donuts on the passenger seat, perhaps that made them hungry.
wink.gif

Second warning - Redstone Arsenal, AL.

Officer: "Do you know how fast you were going?"
Me: "Yes sir, 65 mph."

Officer gives me a quizzical look.

Officer: "What? Do you know what the speed limit is?"
Me: "Yes sir, 50 mph."

Officer gives me another odd look, pauses for about 10 seconds, and gives me a warning telling me to slow down. Guess I was the first person not to lie to him that day or something.

First Ticket Ever (in 25+ years of driving), Redstone Arsenal. I had just merged onto the main drag heading off post at 1600, gunned the Tundra to merge without causing an accident, hitting 66 in a 55. Coming the other way is the Redstone Police, u-turned, pulled me over. He introduced himself, I said hello, he said you were doing 66 in a 55, license, registration, and badge please. Ok, here you go. Comes back with ticket. Thank you, have a nice day. Guy was polite, no attitude, I was speeding, so I sucked it up and have him no lip or excuses. $50 ticket with $25 processing fee = $75.

thanks,
ben

I've got three speeding in my nearly 26 years of driving and one warning. I'm somewhat a speeder. My wife is really a speeder. She gets pulled over at least once a year but always gets off with a warning.

July 4th weekend back in 1999. I was stationed in New Mexico at the time and had a 4 day weekend and decided to drive home to Colorado. On the radio, they kept saying that because it was a holiday, New Mexico police and State Patrol were going to be out in force. I kept the cruise control on and set to the speed limit (65mph). Car after car after car kept passing me. After about 2 hours I said screw it and bumped it up to 80 mph (and cars were still passing me!). About 20 mins later, I'm a ways behind a van as we start going into an "S" shaped curve on the highway. Came around the first curve and in the opposing lane, New Mexico's finest. He immediately does a U-turn, flips his lights on and pulls me over. Never saw him coming.

80 in a 65. $120 fine.

I was doing about 85 in the left lane in a 65 zone a few years ago when I passed a trooper parked on the right shoulder. He pulled out. I moved from the left lane to the center lane and slowed down and the trooper came up behind me. There was another car in the left lane in the process of passing both the trooper and me when this car in the left lane must have panicked or something because he moved from the left lane to the center lane right between the trooper and me. He almost hit the trooper so the trooper pulled him over and I drove off. Nowadays, I try to keep it under 80.

I remember reading a book about speeding before. I think the cop said that the one that always sorta worked was if it was a woman and if she were crying and saying something to the effect that her husband or boyfriend was going to beat her up once he finds out. That would usually end up as a warning.

2 Tickets, 1 warning, all more than 10 years ago.

First was on the way home from taking a Friend on an unofficial College Visit in Jan 2000. it was a little after Midnight, in a storied speed trap zone on rt 33, near Bellefontaine, OH
Clocked doing 88 in a 65. no excuse given, even though he gave me the old "where's the Fire?" line. Forget the fine. he was very careful to shine his maglite into all 3 of our sets of teenage eyes.

What I didn't Tell him, was that i had just a hour before done the entire I270 Beltway around Columbus with the Needle buried (speedo only went to 85 in that car)so i honestly don't know how fast i was going.

Second, just a couple Months later. First of may 2000, Prom Night to be exact. i was graduated, but went with friends a year behind me(their senior prom). after Prom, headed to a bonfire at a friends house, I Listened to my "Date"'s Idiot boyfreind (don't ask) in the backseat, to "race him" "him" being another of our group, driving his date/GF's Dad's car, who had pulled up along side of us.
Listening to the idiot, i put my foot down. as i go around him, I notice, out loud, "Oh Hey!, He's Got a Radar Detector." What didn't register to my brain, was that said Detector was LIT UP LIKE A FRIGGIN CHRISTMAS TREE! again i forget the Fine.

Pulled over, (by no less than 3 cruisers, mind you) doing 58 in a 45. on prom Night. OF COURSE THEY WERE OUT IN FORCE! DOH!

couple years later, Driving home one morning after working 3rd shift, I'm just going along, not paying any attention to my speed, Metallica blasting on the stereo. I'm almost to my Road, when i notice the flashing Lights in the Mirror.
Pull over.
"do you know how fast you were going?" Honestly no, i wasn't paying attention to that.
I forget just how fast he said he got me at, but it was WELL over the Posted Limit. When he asked if i knew the speed limit, I said no, and i didn't see a sign. "You Live right over there, and you don't know what the speed Limit here is? "
Correct Officer.
"Well you're Lucky I stopped you Just outside of My Jurisdiction. I'm going to have to let you go with a warning"
we had crossed the township border about a 1/4 mi back
He never did Tell me what the default speedlimit is in an unposted zone on a country Road. (but i know from back in Driver's ED that it's 55mph)

Last edited:
Don't mind paying the speeding ticket (after all I was speeding); but it's a bummer to have to attend 'Traffic School' so the insurance does not go up significantly. (In California anyways..)
Henry

The best I ever heard, I was, I was with a girlfriend in a company Rover 3.5L back in the UK, we got pulled over by a cop doing 120 mph in a 50 mph zone.

She said "the road was clear, and I wanted to see what the car would do"
The cop said " Now you know, don't do it again" and let her off with a warning!

Buddy of mine is a state cop....few years he clocked a Corvette doing 120 in a 65...was a nice older gentlemen who had just got his "retirement" sports car.

Guy was very ashamed of himself and was worried that his wife was going to kill him. Guy was really nice, and he felt bad. (helps he love vettes too) So he did stay in the car a little longer to worry him a little, but he let him off with a stern warning....guy was quite thankful!

Him being an officer he finds many people are jerks, and usually get a ticket. You'd be amazed at what being nice might do for you....

I got a ticket for 69 in a 55 on route 360 going into a small town called Tapahannock. When I saw a state police officer flying to catch me I was going 82. . I was like holy cow!! He told me he got me a half mile before I got to route 17. You could have thrown a football to where that limit dropped to 45. I did get lucky there. That was in June 1995. Last and only speeding ticket. $86.
I could have gotten one the other night.. But I know where this 1 mile stretch where there is NO where for a police car to hide. And sight line is up a hill, guard rails on both sides of the interstate. I was passing a car in the right.. I was going my normal 79 in a 70 zone. This fool comes right up behind me tailgating big time.. I knew I was approaching the aforementioned zone.. So, I was all right you chickenhead.. See ya. I went from 79 to 105 in no time. I left that champion like he was tied to a stump.. I slowed back down to my normal 78 to 79 has I came over the hill. That champion came up and passed me going probably 90. And the speed drops to 65 in that section. I dropped to 72 or so.
The absolute fastest I've ever seen anyone go on a road was those 6 motorcycles on 64. I bet they were going 150 mph plus. I was going 79 and they left me like I was sitting still.. Went around the gentle left hand turn a mile ahead of me in no time flat. Can you imagine one of them hitting a big deer going 150 mph and what would happen ?? Wow. I've come on a dead on scene accident. 18 year old boy dead as a doornail. His cerebral cortex protruding out of his forehead. Road rash on left side of his face.. Running from the police.. Car barrel rolled, head got out of the window and smashed his head on the asphalt. Dead instantly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daves87rs

Him being an officer he finds many people are jerks, and usually get a ticket. You'd be amazed at what being nice might do for you....

Generally known as "the attitude test".

I've had a few notable tickets and warnings. One ticket was for 220kph (137mph) in a 120 (75) zone in the car. $135 and no points. I got a warning for 260 (162) in the same 120 zone because the cop liked my accent ( I was in Abu Dhabi at the time ) and thought my bike was cool. I don't speed at home in Australia. Cops here have zero sense of humour (much like the immigration staff at LAX).

Officer:
Do you know why I pulled you over?

Me:
So we could talk without all of the wind?

Believe it or not, this response actually got me out of a ticket one time...

never gotten a speeding ticket, so I can't comment from my experience.

But a reverse speeding ticket story where the ending did not fare too well for the ticket writer.

There is this little resort town on lake Michigan called XYZ city, right on lake MI. The police force in this little resort town swells to over 50 head strong in summer from a tiny 4 person force in winter.

My buddy was driving on the main street to her cabin with a friend after lunch. There is a spot on that main street where the speed limit drops from 45 mph to 30 just before the it hits Lake Michigan.

My buddy was coasting from 45 to 30 zone, she did not slam her brakes.

Well the temp little town cop was sitting right at the 30 mph sign and pulled her over.

He was extra nasty, even sighted her for NOT signing her registration with an extra $75 fine (back then one had to sign their reg in MI I guess).

My buddy was totally appalled at how nasty and unprofessional the local LEO was. She reached her cabin and gave her hubby an earful about the LEOs behavior.

Fast forward a few months, winter is around the corner, my buddy and her husband are back at the cabin busy winterizing their lake cabin.

My buddy is interrupted by the neighbor who is holding an envelope in his hand.

The neighbor asks by buddy "hey Cindy, you hubby is the police chief of ABC town in Detroit area, can he help my nephew find a job this winter" and hands my buddy the resume of his nephew.

Well, turns out this nephew is the local LEO was extra nasty and unprofessional.

Moral of the story:
1. Be nice to people when giving them speeding ticket and be extra nice to little blond middle aged ladies cuz they might have police chief hubbies... ;-)

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Buddy of mine is a state cop....few years he clocked a Corvette doing 120 in a 65...was a nice older gentlemen who had just got his "retirement" sports car.

Guy was very ashamed of himself and was worried that his wife was going to kill him. Guy was really nice, and he felt bad. (helps he love vettes too) So he did stay in the car a little longer to worry him a little, but he let him off with a stern warning....guy was quite thankful!

In Kentucky the uniform citations have a little box marked "ATTN." In my county the understanding on minor traffic violations was that if the ATTN box was NOT checked it meant that the citing officer did not care about what happened to the case(dismissal, deferral, etc.). If it was checked he/she wanted input into the final resolution. 99% of the time the box was checked because the person who was stopped acted like a jerk.

I've been pulled over a few times. One day I left work and got stopped for not signaling a right turn. I was polite to the officers, but informed them that I didn't make any right turns. Was given a warning.

It was, literally, turn left out of work's parking lot onto one street. Turn left onto another street - go for .75 miles. Turn left on to the street where I lived. Turn left in to my driveway.

My guess is they were trying to find something worth finding. They were really interested in the computer equipment that was in my car ( I worked as traveling IT technician at the time).

Another time I got pulled over for suspicion of DWI. I was leaving the gym and there was a REALLY cool lightning storm. It was 11 at night. I hopped in the Jeep and pulled the headlight switch. I left and was paying attention to the storm.

Well, I was wobbling around, driving under the speed limit, with parking lights only at 11PM. No ticket though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back