what you guys think of valvoline nextgen oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: R2d2
Id use it if it was 50% cheaper.

EXACTLY....I'm not the least bit turned off by recycled oil as long as it is clean and properly formulated with respect to the required additives.

But certainly I will not pay MORE for this product ONLY LESS. I'd say if it was at least 35% less I would consider it seriously.

As it is, no it is a marketing ploy to increase profits.

Quote:
Selling burnt up oil just wont fly.

Except for the solids or the insolubles and maybe some fuel in used oil, it is probably a bit more pure than crude.

You are NOT putting filtered burnt oil into your crankcase, you are putting hydrotreated Re-refined oil into your crankcase with new additives.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: urchin
But certainly I will not pay MORE for this product ONLY LESS. I'd say if it was at least 35% less I would consider it seriously.

And why is that?

If you're asking my personal opinion, I believe that Valvoline makes a good oil but just like Castrol they are overpriced.

I like the lime green bottle and I almost bought it once, but filtered or not, the subject is still on my mind that this is used oil.

Try as you may to convince the masses that it doesn't make a difference (and really, it probably doesn't), sometimes it just feels better to put in a new bottle of oil. You can't put a price on that.

If Valvoline discounted their NextGen by a couple bucks, MAYBE I would consider purchasing it, as the thought would not be as intrusive. Or Maybe not.

If a jug of Valvoline White is priced at $19.99, I would say the NextGen should be at $17.99.

That's just my reasoning though, you don't have to listen to me.

Originally Posted By: steve20
maybe we'll get NextGen oil filters soon........

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
If you're asking my personal opinion, I believe that Valvoline makes a good oil but just like Castrol they are overpriced.

I like the lime green bottle and I almost bought it once, but filtered or not, the subject is still on my mind that this is used oil.

Try as you may to convince the masses that it doesn't make a difference (and really, it probably doesn't), sometimes it just feels better to put in a new bottle of oil. You can't put a price on that.

If Valvoline discounted their NextGen by a couple bucks, MAYBE I would consider purchasing it, as the thought would not be as intrusive. Or Maybe not.

If a jug of Valvoline White is priced at $19.99, I would say the NextGen should be at $17.99.

That's just my reasoning though, you don't have to listen to me.

I do understand this reasoning, as if they save a little in the difference between the re-refined stock vs virgin stock, that they should pass the savings on to the customer and not capitalize on the "green" aspect of it.

Should it be 50% cheaper like some say? Absolutely not

The way I view it is this oil is just as good if not better than white bottle Valvoline. It doesn't inconvenience me to use it, so why not use it, and save a little oil in the process? My father and grandfather were die hard Valvoline users. I quit using a synthetic in my cars that have no need for it. I jumped from Mobil to Valvoline and haven't looked back. Now this product is available and I love the idea behind it and will support it as long as it does not cost more, but at least the same as the white bottle. Most of the time you can get rebates or coupons on the bottle and make it cheaper, so why not?

The blind fear in this thread amazes me.

Well, I take that back. A lot of tragic events have taken place in history because people made decisions based not on facts, but fear alone. It seems to be a basic human trait that some people can't mentally overcome. I really shouldn't be surprised.

... but filtered or not, the subject is still on my mind that this is used oil.

Wow. Seriously?

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

Wow. Seriously?
Used oil that's been subjected to the same processes that original crude went through, which SHOULD make it SUPERIOR to new conventional oil!

Wow. Seriously?

Did I stutter?

Wow. Seriously?

Did I stutter?

I guess to some people re-refining and filtering is the same thing...

Originally Posted By: 67Customs

Well, I take that back. A lot of tragic events have taken place in history because people made decisions based not on facts, but fear alone. It seems to be a basic human trait that some people can't mentally overcome. I really shouldn't be surprised.

The blind arrogance in this thread amazes me.

Some people are willing to use it, others don't want to. What's the big deal with that? It's almost like some of you can't deal with the fact that others don't feel like using this type of Valvoline. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that sometimes psychology comes into play with certain things. As I said, try as you may to convince me (because I knew in your arrogance you would) but it's not going to make one bit of flipping difference. It doesn't matter if I think my vehicle will explode if I use it...it's an opinion and it should be respected.

The only thing worse than a fearful oil user is an arrogant one.

Some people are willing to use it, others don't want to. What's the big deal with that? It's almost like some of you can't deal with the fact that others don't feel like using this type of Valvoline. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that sometimes psychology comes into play with certain things. As I said, try as you may to convince me (because I knew in your arrogance you would) but it's not going to make one bit of flipping difference. It doesn't matter if I think my vehicle will explode if I use it...it's an opinion and it should be respected.

I think the problem isn't that some people don't want to use it, it's that the reasons people don't want to use it are based on false assumptions and incorrect knowledge instead of the facts. Yourself included.

Originally Posted By: cchase

I think the problem isn't that some people don't want to use it, it's that the reasons people don't want to use it are based on false assumptions and incorrect knowledge instead of the facts. Yourself included.

I'm sorry your majesty, I am not the oil god. I have a life outside of this forum and outside of automobiles.

Look, I have an opinion, and the fact that you people can't live with it bothers you so much that you can't resist trying to inject your 'knowledge' over used fu
We all know oil is important...but for crying out loud, I swear some of you freaks obsess over it. It's like you don't have day jobs and have nothing else to live for.

Yourself included.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cchase

Bingo.

I really could care less if someone doesn't want to use NextGen. Everyone has their favorites and can buy whatever they want. But coming into a thread and saying that you won't use it because you refuse to use 're-filtered' oil or 'used' oil, or that Valvoline is trying to scam its customers, or that it should cost half as much or any of the other nonsense that been posted here in light of the information that is easily available to anyone who bothers to look for it, is just ignorant.

Ignorant or not, I do "get" the point that he's trying to make. It is the stigma associated with the product being made from "used" oil. Whether it makes a difference in how the product performs (and he seems to have acknowledged that he knows these fears are unfounded) is irrelevant to how the IDEA makes him FEEL about it.

It's a personal hang-up. I don't see the reason for getting all worked up about somebody's opposition to using the product based on that, particularly when they prefaced their own argument with the fact that they know that their fears are likely completely baseless.

I'm sorry your majesty, I am not the oil god. I have a life outside of this forum and outside of automobiles.

Look, I have an opinion, and the fact that you people can't live with it bothers you so much that you can't resist trying to inject your 'knowledge' over used fu
We all know oil is important...but for crying out loud, I swear some of you freaks obsess over it. It's like you don't have day jobs and have nothing else to live for.

Yourself included.

Strange how riled up you're getting over this. Why are you getting so defensive?

Also, nobody's saying your (or anyone else's) opinions are wrong, just the facts that you're basing them on is. Big difference.

http://nextgen.valvoline.com/nextgen_faq.html

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Ignorant or not, I do "get" the point that he's trying to make. It is the stigma associated with the product being made from "used" oil. Whether it makes a difference in how the product performs (and he seems to have acknowledged that he knows these fears are unfounded) is irrelevant to how the IDEA makes him FEEL about it.

I agree with that also, absolutely. But it's what he said previously that is the problem here:

This is not just filtered, used oil put in a trendy green bottle. Far too many people think that this is all NextGen is and bash it for that reason. And that's ignorant.

I'm not trying to pick on zerosoma specifically, but what he's posting is a perfect example of the issue here. Besides, anyone else who I've asked to clarify their opinions of have declined to do so for whatever reason, but I can probably guess why!

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

I agree with that also, absolutely. But it's what he said previously that is the problem here:

This is not just filtered, used oil put in a trendy green bottle. Far too many people think that this is all NextGen is and bash it for that reason. And that's ignorant.

I'm not trying to pick on zerosoma specifically, but what he's posting is a perfect example of the issue here. Besides, anyone else who I've asked to clarify their opinions of have declined to do so for whatever reason, but I can probably guess why!

I think he likely just used incorrect terminology to describe the product. I doubt he was intentionally slandering the product as "filtered" versus using the term "re-refined". Perhaps he doesn't know the difference? Perhaps in his mind (and the mind of many consumers) they mean the same thing.

His first post about the product and his opinion on it was very passive, and seemed to focus more on the stigma (to use that word again) of it being priced the same as "virgin" oil, not the fact that it was in any way actually "inferior". And again, I get what he is saying, as I'm sure everybody else does if they stop and think about it.

It is simply about the preconceived notions of using a "recycled product" that is priced the same as a "new" product. It just doesn't sit well with some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back