What Year Did you Start Using Synthetic Motor Oil?

I started in 2020. Never had an engine fail, let alone from wearing out, so never saw any need for synthetic. Went synthetic last year in order to extend oil changes, not as much to prolong life of the engine. All of my rigs have gone over 200K, some over 300K. Engines always running fine whe sold and also the ones I still own. Even had an old Saab 900s that was overheating and boiling some coolant for over 100K miles on conventional. Sold the thing cheap still running fine, other than the over heating. Had over 300K when sold. Also had a Subaru with a head gasket failure I drove for over 100K. Never fixed the head gasket and just dealt with overheating and having to burp air from the system. Thing overheated massively many times on conventional oil and still ran fine other than overheating when I gave it to my nephew for free.

2005 or 2006. I purchased a new Dodge Grand Caravan in 2005. It was using .75 quarts of oil in 1200 miles. I began researching and found this site. That's when I started learning about oil. Synthetic oil did lessen the oil consumption problem.

I remember buying some amsoil from a car show/swap in Wisconsin in 1995 or 96 ish it was for a Camaro I had complete waste looking back lol

I also remember them claiming 25k miles on oil at some point

I would use havoline black bottle mostly in that area or Mobil 1 due to sponsorships on nascars I was a fan back then

and what car was it.....

1992 for an
86 Maxima
1984. New Nissan pickup. Mobil 1 of course.

Drove a lot. Wanted the extra protection and the flexibility to go 6K between oil changes from 3k which was what conscientious people did in those days.
Made a believer out of me.

Took 30k miles before the engine broke in. ( small jump in mpgs) The truck never required oil between changes. ( It would be a quart low by the 6K time however.)

Was running strong with unnaturally clean oil at 238k when it lost an argument with a cow.

Last edited:
I'll bite. I think it was when Mobil 1 came out with their first round of synthetics, thinking it was late 1970's- ish? Anyway, leaked like water out of my BMW engine. I later switched back to a mineral based oil and the leaking stopped. I decided to wait a few years before I would try it again.

AEHaas

Well my daughter is 46 years old ,so 46 years.

Started with Amsoil then Mobil 1 them Pennzoil Plat. the last 6 years.

Motorcycles has been 15-50 Mobil 1 since it became available. (Moto Guzzi ) brand.

Convert

Tom B.

'04 - for the '04 Ranger I bought new, now has 332K on it. It always gets MC Syn blend and FL400S filter at 5K. Usually down 1 quart at oil change.

Whenever the local dealer, where I went for oil changes and tire rotations every 6 months on my '11 Buick Regal, switched from synblend oil to full synthetic. I'm guessing around 2016. I never got to do a change on my '15 BMW 3 Series before it got flooded and totaled. But I've been using dexos1 full synth in the Buick LaCrosse since I bought it in 2019.

2018 for the Buick and Sierra. I also switched my Sierra to 5w30 because the amount of negative temps we have been seeing here over the last few years has increased significantly. If it were't for the cold they both would still be running conventional/blend and the Sierra would be running 10w30.

I stopped many years ago when Castrol started selling technosynthese as Full Synthetic, then Exxon Mobil followed.
Then I started again a few years ago - but knowing that it was just " Premium Motor Oil "
And not the classic majority base PAO synthetic or POE we know and love - or hate.

Premium and Regular PCMO meet the same spec - but one may beat it in ways, and the other in other aspects of performance.

I am so disappointed that many here mistakenly think they are running "synthetic oil" in their car.

Man, the brainwashing is complete.

SAD.

I stopped many years ago when Castrol started selling technosynthese as Full Synthetic, then Exxon Mobil followed.
Then I started again a few years ago - but knowing that it was just " Premium Motor Oil "
And not the classic majority base PAO synthetic or POE we know and love - or hate.

Premium and Regular PCMO meet the same spec - but one may beat it in ways, and the other in other aspects of performance.

I am so disappointed that many here mistakenly think they are running "synthetic oil" in their car.

Man, the brainwashing is complete.

SAD.
🥱😪😴

2007 when I started doing my oil changes on my new vehicle
never looked back - but not sure it has made a difference other than making me feel good :)

Back