What Year Did you Start Using Synthetic Motor Oil?

M1 around 1978. I think it was in a 78 Toyota Corolla.
My parents had a 77 corolla gifted to them. I learned to drive a manual on it when I was about 9 years old. You never see any know because they disintegrated so badly, at the time we hated that car but it would be cool to see one now 26 years later.

It would've had to be 2005 when I bought my prior car, an '05 Dodge Neon brand new. I felt that using Mobil 1 5w-20 every 3k miles would make the car last forever. I was wrong.

Now I use frankenbrews and run out to 10k OCIs and my two bought-used cars are in better shape at 14 and 17 years old than my Neon was after it was 2 years old.
Aren’t you supposed to throw neons out when they run out of gas?

Started using the original Mobil 1, back in the late 70's. Then it was sold in silver quart metal cans. Stayed with it through it's tri-synthetic days and am still using it.

1989 Ford Bronco 5.0 liter.
Mobil 1 that I continue to use to this day.

Last edited:
1996 or 1997 in a Ford 351. I got some pinging and blamed it on the Mobil 1 and went back to dino. Now of course I use synthetic exclusively.

I followed Formula 1 back in the 70's and I think Williams was using Mobil 1. So, I started using it in my 1977 VW Rabbit some time before 1980, but VW had a problem back then with leaky valve stem seals and the low viscosity just made it worse. I started using it again in my 1986 Audi 5000 with 10k mile oil changes once a year and have used synthetic ever since but have changed to 7.5k intervals.

I followed Formula 1 back in the 70's and I think Williams was using Mobil 1. So, I started using it in my 1977 VW Rabbit some time before 1980, but VW had a problem back then with leaky valve stem seals and the low viscosity just made it worse. I started using it again in my 1986 Audi 5000 with 10k mile oil changes once a year and have used synthetic ever since but have changed to 7.5k intervals.
VW paid for the seal replacement did you ever get yours fixed?

2021 - my next oil change will be the first I use full synthetic!

All thanks to Kirkland and Supertech for reducing the price gap from conventional.

Easy to remember.
Started using Mobil 1 in 1974 a week after my Daughter was born
Switched to Pennzoil Platinum as soon as it hit the market.
Still use Mobil 1 in the Moto Guzzi Motorcycles.

CONVERT--TOMB

About 1981. Mobil 1. I was using Esso Uniflo at the time. I read Mobil 1 came out in 1974. A professor in the department of mechanical engineering of the local university said they were extremely impressed by it. He said to me "if you keep your air filter clean and use synthetic oil, your engine might never wear out." That was around 1976.
Same as me 1981

. A professor in the department of mechanical engineering of the local university said they were extremely impressed by it. He said to me "if you keep your air filter clean and use synthetic oil, your engine might never wear out." That was around 1976.
Still valid today.

In early 2003, the same year that I joined BITOG after lurking here for a while. It was Mobil 1 10W-30 SS on a 2003 WRX Wagon. Unfortunately, I would put only another 5,000 miles on it after the first uoa before it was stolen, recovered, repaired, and traded in for the 2004 Forester XT.

UOA posted on NASIOC.

For me it was approximately 79-80 when I was first getting into lubrication engineering and our prime vendor at the time for industrial synthetics donated a case of their automotive oil to try so I volunteered. I was learning and had personally seen the difference in side by side boxes and compressors but was a little gun shy with a multi-blend for cars. He convinced me to try and it proved itself.

Back