What Year Did you Start Using Synthetic Motor Oil?

You
Im from china.its 2016 when i bought my first car,Mazda Axela 1.5l.I used factory oil at first,and then I bought and used Amsoil XL0W20 /Castrol Edge EP 5W20/TOTAL 9000 FUTUER 0W20.OILS are expensive in my country,but thanks to the import puchasing webside,I can get some awsome choices now.NEXT would be penzoil pp0w20.
laugh.gif

My ENGLISH is not good enough yet.So nice to be here.
Your English is 1000x better than my Chinese! Welcome aboard.

When it first became available, always a first responder 🙃 But I bought a new MGB-GT in 1963 and picked it up at the docks in england , ferried it across to Spain, and drove through Europe for a couple years. That is when I discovered multigrade oils, don't remember what grade/brand I used, but a long hard trip on the autobahn showed amazing oil pressure compared to the old single grade 30 wt oil.

I don’t use it that often. We used it in my dads car for about 3 oil changes after conventional before going to semi synthetic blends. I guess you could say I started using it in 2017 when my mom got her Camry which requires 0W-20 full synthetic so we use Mobil 1 in it.

When it first became available, always a first responder 🙃 But I bought a new MGB-GT in 1963 and picked it up at the docks in england , ferried it across to Spain, and drove through Europe for a couple years. That is when I discovered multigrade oils, don't remember what grade/brand I used, but a long hard trip on the autobahn showed amazing oil pressure compared to the old single grade 30 wt oil.
If the oil pressure was affected (improved over the 30-grade) then you must have been using a higher grade on the synthetic. Synthetic base stock in and of itself isn't going to give you "amazing oil pressure" as compared to conventional.

1991, Amsoil in a Subaru Legacy sedan and Toyota Tercel, then soon after a Volvo 240 wagon that replaced the Tercel

1989--M1 5W-30 in a new Corvette C4. I used M1 in various flavors until 2010 when I bought a new Ford FX4 and used Pennzoil Ultra in it, but then switched back to M1 AFE at 100K or so.

Both Mercedes started with M1 Euro, but it did not hold up to the fuel dilution, so the C300 uses Pennzoil Euro and the AMG ran Castrol Euro before I traded it in the Jeep.

The Explorer runs M1 AFE, but will see Pennzoil or Rotella when the M1 runs out.

The Jeep started with Castrol, but has Rotella Gas Truck on the menu for next 150K miles or so courtesy of the AAP clearance.

If the oil pressure was affected (improved over the 30-grade) then you must have been using a higher grade on the synthetic. Synthetic base stock in and of itself isn't going to give you "amazing oil pressure" as compared to conventional.
[/QU

Obviously I wasn't clear. Believe me, standard 30wt. in those days wouldn't hold the same oil pressure after an hour of autobahn driving, at 130kph. It would drop from (memory fades) but about 35 to 25 or so.

2016, when I started changing my own oil it was nothing but maxlife semi synthetic 5w30. 2018 was when i got my b4000 and started using synthetic.

As of today I haven't yet started. I think I have about (16) 5qt. containers or synthetic that I bought years ago but I'm still using on the conventional I have in stock.

I started using it in 2010 with my 2006 Honda Accord. Castrol Edge w/ Titanium 5w20 was the flavor of choice.

Back