What Year Did you Start Using Synthetic Motor Oil?

1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass supreme v8 (my first car I ever bought) I switched to synthetic around the time I was 20 years old, so around 2003. That's around when I joined this site with my old username caprice_2nv.

in 2001 I bought a new Corvette and it recommended Mobil 1 full synthetic (before there were so many choices even in Mobil synthetics) and switched all my cars since then to full synthetic...

I find that when I look for sales/rebates I can find full synthetic for less than I can find synthetic blends which I've always thought was the worst of both worlds...

Bill

I converted my 1997 Camry (sludge-prone) from conventional (3-month OCI) to M1 in 2004 on the advice of members of this site.
M1 performed a lot of cleaning over next several OCI.
Importantly, there was an immediate improvement in starter speed on cold mornings and better performance in the first mile (stop-and-go neighborhood driving). Mileage increased a little. All of this in my rather mild Tennessee climate.
We had that car in our family until 2017 & was running well.
Also converted my 2000 Odyssey from conventional to M1 in 2004.

I started using it on my 1995 Nissan in 2007, the rest of my cars came with synthetic in it already (supposedly) or required that you use it (VW). The only car I never used it in was my 1993 Grand Am with the 3300 v6.

Funny, I used to just change the oil and drive, but after reading on this site a lot and finally joining, I probably overthink it a lot more....

I started using Mobil 1 in 2002 in our 1998 Chrysler T&C. I went to a 10,000km oil change interval as I commuted to work an hour each way. With a 5,000km OCI it seemed like I was changing oil every 8 to 10 weeks...

It's crazy to see how things have changed. My wife's 2014 T&C owners manual suggests a 9,000 MILE OCI on conventional oil. I go until the EVIC comes on with Mobil Super Synthetic, but that seems to be around 9,000 miles.

As a side note I use synthetic oil in everything I own (Mobil products) except my 2012 Ram which is running strong on Delvac 15W40 semi-synthetic.

Good thread, I actually didn’t start using synthetic exclusively until 2013. Started with Mobil 1, then Carquest house brand, then Super Tech, the back to Mobil 1 (because of rebates),

Been on a never ending quest for oil rebates ever since. Pennzoil, Rotella Gas Truck, Mobil, Valvoline, Quaker State. Once scored three cases of Castrol Magnetic for free, loved that stuff. Right now I’ve been going through my 55 quart stash from autozone of various brands.

2017 I had just bought a very slightly used John Deere 5045e and started running Schaeffer 5w40 in it. I kind of slowly evolved from there. My 94 Tercel gets the same 5w40 now.

2002 when Mom bought a 1999 Saab 9-5 SE. 0W-40 European Formula.
It had the grey and white "Saab Recommends Mobil1" sticker on the radiator support.
'Twas a CPO car with 38K.

I remember "the dawn of" Mobil1 in Popular Science in the early '70's. The ~$6.50 price seemed high to me too.

1979 or '80 in a 1978 Olds Cutlass. It had a small V8, I believe 260 cu in. I didn't use Mobil 1 consistently until I bought my first house in 1985.
I did read about Mobil 1 in either Popular Science or Popular Mechanics in the 70's.

2006 or 2007 . First car to get synthetic was a 2000 Chevy ( Corolla ) Prizm . I think it was SHELL full synthetic 5w-30 that was available at BJs Wholesale for under $3 a quart . The plastic bottle was silver with blue labels .

Last edited:
2011. Badly sludged Ecotech in Saturn Vue I bought in 010. Changed every 5k until traded in on my Van. Started off with Synthetic Blend then Pennzoil Platinum. My Caravan same thing as started off with Synthetic Blend now I am running Pennzoil Platinum. Will run next 2 oil changes Valvoline Synthetic HM since I got them for 11.00 for 5 qts.

IIRC my dad was a Castrol GTX user in the '90s so I started out with GTX conventional first then moved up to Castrol's syn blend around 2000 or 2001 ('94 GMC 4.3L), then eventually to synthetic around 2005 ('03 Silverado 5.3L). Couldn't tell you which full syn I used first, likely either Mobil1 or Castrol Syntec. All I really remember was seeing the GM 4716M spec on the bottles; none of the blends met 4716M but a few full synthetics did. I figured that meant synthetic was better so I decided to use the synthetic.

Probably on my 1986 Pontiac Firebird, which I purchased around 1988 or so. It was a 2.8 V6 with a 5 speed. Not a lot of power, but it sounded good and was fun to drive. I know I ran PYB initially, but I think I started using Mobil 1 at some point. I sold it and bought a new 1990 Pontiac Sunbird and ran Mobil 1 from the first oil change until I sold it.

Back