What year did Mobile1 change to a group 3?

ExxonMobil uses different base stocks to achieve the required performance for their products. Many are blended with GTL Group III stocks.

There was no court case.

Group III base stocks are synthetic.
I was referrring to the "1999" court case. Here is one write up amongst many many

http://xtremerevolution.net/a-defining-moment-for-synthetics-by-katherine-bui-lubricants-world-1999/

TBH the naming, marketing and finally the chemistry is become so complex, confusing if not misleading, I find it challenging to know what is exactly going on unless you work or worked for the company as they don't publish the ingredient list

@bonjo

The NAD is hardly a court sanctioned body.

From that link....

It was only recently, in a decision by the National Advertising Division (NAD) of the Council of Better Business Bureaus, that the first basic action and ruling in the United States set a strong precedence for a broader description in the marketing of synthetics. In this first installment of a two-part story, Lubricants World takes a look at the NAD’s ruling and explores the revived debate surrounding the definition of “synthetic.”

The Ruling
In a ruling released April 1999, the NAD addressed complaints filed by Mobil Oil Corp. regarding the truthfulness of Castrol North America Inc.’s claim that its Syntec® provides “superior engine protection” to all other motor oils, both synthetic and conventional, and that Syntec’s esters provide “unique molecular bonding.” Mobil charged that the advertisements inaccurately represented that the current formulation of Syntec is synthetic. The challenge was filed based on statements Castrol made in a series of television commercials, Web site publications, package labels, and brochures.

And we all know "the rest of the story"

Screenshot_20210713-074140_Chrome.jpg

I was referrring to the "1999" court case. Here is one write up amongst many many

http://xtremerevolution.net/a-defining-moment-for-synthetics-by-katherine-bui-lubricants-world-1999/

TBH the naming, marketing and finally the chemistry is become so complex, confusing if not misleading, I find it challenging to know what is exactly going on unless you work or worked for the company as they don't publish the ingredient list
That's an interesting article. What I find ironic is that M1 went to a grp III base stock after they complained about Castrol doing it (via that now long since "vanished" white paper that got leaked a few years ago).

Nonetheless I still like both brands. Even thought about giving M1 5W-30 EP a try in my Accord.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's an interesting article. What I find ironic is that M1 went to a grp III base stock after they pissed and moaned about Castrol doing it (via that now long since "vanished" white paper that got leaked a few years ago).

Nonetheless I still like both brands. Even thought about giving M1 5W-30 EP a try in my Accord.
Why wouldn't they? By not doing so they'd be handing over a significant cost advantage as a mass producer (These aren't boutique brands) to Castrol since at that time, PAO was much more costly to manufacture.

They had to shoot their shot with the NAD at the time because this was a demarcation point. No "good" or "bad" guys.

That's an interesting article. What I find ironic is that M1 went to a grp III base stock after they pissed and moaned about Castrol doing it (via that now long since "vanished" white paper that got leaked a few years ago).

"went to" a Group III base stock? At the time they were doing it already all over the world.

ExxonMobil was detailed about the performance of their Visom product.

What they publish are licenses, approvals and specifications which are an accurate representation of the real-world performance of the formulated oil. A raw base stock "ingredient list" is not, no matter how someone thinks they can read the tea leaves.

so what are we saying here?:unsure:

That Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 full synth has changed from G IV to G III base stock?

Of all things that may or may not matter, this is one of the least of them. The ROI in terms of performance for going to PAO or grp V compared To grp 3 is just not there. PAO and Grp V may make great adjustment fluids to enhance specific performance and/or physical properties. t
The Specifications and high quality of today’s engine oils demonstrate that desigNing and blending them has come a long way where before, with less knowledge and technology blending with only grp IV and v seems like it may have been Compensating for the lower level of technology at the time.

it prolly took some time until costlier-better IMO PAO base oils phased out after the advertising councils decision!! our USA is GREAT BUT $$$$ buys + pushes a lot of misinformation + a look at big Pharma surely confirms that!!! people DIE from approved drugs tested by the drug sellers no less + Vioxx is an example among others!!! a bit off topic BUT IMO theres a lot of BULL marketing these days!!

it prolly took some time until costlier-better IMO PAO base oils phased out after the advertising councils decision!! our USA is GREAT BUT $$$$ buys + pushes a lot of misinformation + a look at big Pharma surely confirms that!!! people DIE from approved drugs tested by the drug sellers no less + Vioxx is an example among others!!! a bit off topic BUT IMO theres a lot of BULL marketing these days!!
Just a bit.

here is the product currently on sale here which I have been using since 2000!

I have bought it with the understanding that it is a full FS oil (i.e Gr IV) and the current data sheet seems to suggest this.
Is there something I have missed in the description?

perhaps this is different to what's available in th US

here is the product currently on sale here which I have been using since 2000!

I have bought it with the understanding that it is a full FS oil (i.e Gr IV) and the current data sheet seems to suggest this.
Is there something I have missed in the description?

perhaps this is different to what's available in th US
new life is a 3/4 blend and has been since 2005

Back