What year did Mobile1 change to a group 3?

Hi All

I like reading this site's info. I once worked in a bearing & lube research lab many, many many years ago.

Quick question: I have a 2004 Cadillac V-6. It's recommended that I use Mobile1. Did Mobile change change it's formulation from synthetic to mineral before or after 2004? I've Googled hi & low & can't find an answer. Also this car has 150K miles & is a cream puff. Is their any benefit to continuing w/ Mobile1? Or would I be better served by changing to a true synthetic? Is Cadillac's recommendation for it fact based or is it just a marketing ploy?

Much thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably because no one really knows, and it also depends on which style of M1 you're talking about. There are some that are still mostly GP4/GP5 and some that aren't. Sadly it's a horse that will never stop being beaten around here.

My opinion is that it doesn't matter. Specs have gotten advance to the point where anything with decent ratings on it is going to perform just fine.

In the 15 years since your car was built, oil has improved greatly.

Hi All

I like reading this site's info. I once worked in a bearing & lube research lab many, many many years ago.

Quick question: I have a 2004 Cadillac V-6. It's recommended that I use Mobile1. Did Mobile change change it's formulation from synthetic to mineral before or after 2004? I've Googled hi & low & can't find an answer. Also this car has 150K miles & is a cream puff. Is their any benefit to continuing w/ Mobile1? Or would I be better served by changing to a true synthetic? Is Cadillac's recommendation for it fact based or is it just a marketing ploy?

Much thanks
Doesn’t really matter if it’s a group 3 or group 4/5.

from my memory i have read that after mobil vs castrol debate was settled 1999 i think that since castrols group III was considered legally advertised as "synthetic" mobil slowly started refilling the shelfs with the cheeper to make group III base oils. my friend a ducati dealer ran Mobil 1 exclusively in the hard on oil ducati sport bikes he sold + he noticed the change in the oil!! not in business anymore as he retired BUT Redline real synthetic is his choice these days

from my memory i have read that after mobil vs castrol debate was settled 1999 i think that since castrols group III was considered legally advertised as "synthetic" mobil slowly started refilling the shelfs with the cheeper to make group III base oils. my friend a ducati dealer ran Mobil 1 exclusively in the hard on oil ducati sport bikes he sold + he noticed the change in the oil!! not in business anymore as he retired BUT Redline real synthetic is his choice these days
For the 4,000th time it was never illegal.

Early 2000's they started using Visom, which was a III+. Over time they moved to incorporating GTL into their blends. Now almost all brands, retail and boutique, use base oil blends of III/IV and V in varying amounts.

Hi All

Much thanks
It’s Mobil. Mobile is a city in Alabama.

Early 2000's they started using Visom, which was a III+. Over time they moved to incorporating GTL into their blends. Now almost all brands, retail and boutique, use base oil blends of III/IV and V in varying amounts.
Yes, many a combination of PAO, GTL, Grp3, etc, etc …
I still have a stash of AP with lots of PAO … but don’t run it differently than AFE because of dilution …

Hi All

Much thanks
Mobil 1 switch to group 3 in 1996

Yep, I remember that leaked white paper, XOM stating they were going to make the switch to group 3 base stocks without the consumers knowledge.

costlier real synthetic PAO + Esters are used SPARINGLY to meet a spec the lesser fake synthetics can NOT meet + IMO its as usual using the less costly base oils + additives to meet a price point + spec!!! profits rule EVERYTHING!!!

costlier real synthetic PAO + Esters are used SPARINGLY to meet a spec the lesser fake synthetics can NOT meet + IMO its as usual using the less costly base oils + additives to meet a price point + spec!!! profits rule EVERYTHING!!!
Umm … others have pointed out the use of multiple base stocks many times. But, what does Redline use in lubes selling for a lower cost … maybe some P66 jacked up a by the Redline label …

Real RL is really not that impressive in UOA’s just because it’s $50 gallon and still gets dumped too early to be economically feasible. Then the vehicle is traded too early to matter.
Glad you made us aware these companies are out to make a profit … whew, now I know …

Last edited:
I recall an individual who has been on this site all along and worked in a lab that does spectral analysis who noticed the change in Sept - Oct of 2005 and an enormous discussion (dozens of pages) ensued. The way that person made it out, before then Mobil 1 would have been eligible for German Vollesynthetische status with over 50% PAO plus AN, after that, Technosynthetische only. If I recall correctly, shortly after that the EP series were released, then the AFE, FS, AP, and ESP to confuse the situation even more. But since the OP is (certainly) driving a street car at non-autobahn speeds and oil temperatures, a group III or III+ motor oil with small quantities of PAO, AN and ester is undoubtedly adequate for that application and the recommended oil change interval. And the manufacturer, GM, is also equally aware of those and subsequent formulation changes, yet continues to make it their factory fill and their OM and oil cap recommended fill.

While you can get more synthetic content in other oils, I'm under the impression Mobil 1 has the distinction of the most R&D and testing work of any motor oil in any market. When any new spec is proposed, they likely have a solution already developed. And they likely partnered in developing the spec as well.

Back