What would you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What oil would you guys use in extreme winter temps? I'm talking about -40F. It does get that cold here.

Really, does it matter what vehicle and engine it's going into? I have 2 vehicles that both call for either 5W-30 or 10W-30. My question is, what are some good oils that work well in extreme winter temps?

While I worked in Antarctica, every vehicle that ran on gasoline Mobil 1 0w-20 was used. At that time (late 1980's) they were all ford engines and vehicles.
It worked very well in those extreme conditions.
It was shipped in 50 gal drums marked Mobil 1 Synthetic Sub-Zero. Invoices said Mobil 1 synthetic Sub-Zero 0w-20.

Well yes, to me it does matter what vehicle the oil is going into. I wouldn't want to blindly suggest an oil without knowing what it is going to be used in, or without knowing what the mfg specs. No need to get an attitude. You've been a member here for over a year, you should know that 0w will give the best cold weather performance.

Since we plug our cars in up here in the winter I don't think a 0W spec is absolutely necessary.
That being said, it would provide a greater degree of confidence/lubrication in starting her up on those times when you forget, or are out somewhere without access to a plug-in. My car actually starts better in the winter when being plugged in than it does in the summer. The block heater is so warm it melts the snow falling on the engine hood. I get a little ice dam on front as it drips.

(visions of the EPA pencil neck geek as he asks Venkman what kind of doctor he is)

..and just what oil is "your" 0w30, hmmm? (with eyebrows rising as the words trail off ..or apply Wm. F. Buckley Jr. "hmmm?")

quote:

Originally posted by androbot2084:
My 0w30 oil pumps at -40 degrees farenheight and pours at -65 degrees farenheight which is better than Mobil 1 0w20.

lol.gif

And when, in Modesto, did you last see -40?

quote:

Originally posted by techie:
What oil would you guys use in extreme winter temps? I'm talking about -40F. It does get that cold here.

The thinnest synthetic that meets specs for that engine, and a heated garage, and a good block heater!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back