What would you do in this situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any restaurant that can serve food without a liquor license has a large , steady customer base. and probably excellent food
grin2.gif

I would not go out to eat at a sit down resturant where beer/wine was served or BYOB.

I rarely consume beer or wine at home but the situations I got out especially with my 3 kids a 16-20oz beer is present.

My wife typically gets a glass of wine. She got some flak about that pregnant however folks are not aware of modern medicine.

I'd eat, pay the bill and leave. Would go back again if food is good and not overpriced. Who gives a [censored] if the restaurant doesn't have a liquor license?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the OP is baiting people. I remember he personally thinks its illegal and immoral to drink even a drop and drive.

Doesnt sound like living free....or die mentality.

Well - I don't drink, but even when I did - I would not have had that kind of reaction.

I know people who would act like that: Those people are, by and large, alcoholics.

I can sort of see being upset about it if it was a nice dinner restaurant, but I gather it wasn't from the family restaurant comment.

I don't drink, so wouldn't care.

My grandmother would never go back...for her, dinner meant a glass of wine, almost every day for eighty years!

When I drank alcoholically, I also really wanted an alcoholic drink with dinner, or lunch. However; my sobriety date is 11/13/2002 so, today I have achieved 14 years without an alcohol drink and I don't miss it. Iced tea is now my favorite. Ed

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I was really surprised at his reaction as he isn't an alcoholic or anything so I asked some of my family and other friends that drink to see what they thought. It really surprised me that the overwhelming majority wouldn't go there if they couldn't get an alcoholic beverage( wine, beer, mixed drink, etc... )as well.
21.gif

I'd say alcohol is more important to this guy then he's come across as in the past. I've known people who are alcoholic and you'd never know it until you get multiple little clues and find out the ugly truth. Nobody in their right mind should get that bent out of shape just because they can't buy alcohol.

To be fair, most of what most people describe as "excellent" food would be what my wife and I would consider mediocre at best.
There are very few good restaurants that survive without serving alcoholic beverages since not too many higher end consumers religiously abstain and many consider a glass of wine with dinner a basic requirement.
I've also never been in a decent place that didn't have a decent wine list.
However, if we were on vacation with kids and everyone was really hungry and we happened upon a local, non-chain place that had decent food, I can't see that it would matter that I couldn't get a beer or my wife a glass of wine.
This seems like an overreaction to me and is a bit silly. If the worst thing you can say about a place is that you couldn't get a drink, then the place may actually be pretty good.
I would personally be mortified if one of a party I was with in such a place actually felt the need to ask why they didn't serve alcoholic beverages.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Recently got an email from a friend who was recounting a recent vacation and in it he was complaining about a restaurant he went to because they didn't serve alcohol of any type......He said he and his family ate there anyway( hungry and didn't want to leave for another place )but he had a fit and said he would never go back there again. I mean he was really angry. Out of curiosity I asked him if the food was any good? He said it was excellent. So he had an excellent meal but would never return

"Me thinks he doth protesteth too much" - Shakespeare

He was clearly looking forward to a drink with dinner. When he didn't get it, he threw a fit. I wonder what his own family would say about this?

Very interesting reaction. Sounds like the guy is a closet alcoholic. It's defined as having more than 4 drinks in a day. Moderate would be just 2 drinks and a drink is defined as 12 oz of beer. I think a regular drink at a restaurant is typically a little bit more than than so it's easy for 2 drinks or more to turn into 4 drinks.

It's very normal around here to go to a restaurant that doesn't serve alcohol, probably because the number of alcohol licenses are limited and it's expensive to get a license.

I never drink alcohol in restaurants, it's way too expensive. In fact most of the time I don't even pay for any kind of drink, I prefer to just get ice water.

That's not to say I don't enjoy alcohol from time to time, but I prefer to either drink it at home, or whenever it's free (company xmas party, all inclusive resorts, etc.)

I don't drink any sort of adult beverage at restaurants since I always insist on driving my lovely wife when we go out to eat.

When I know I am going to enjoy delicious food at home I only drink water, so that the beer doesn't ruin the taste of my food at all. I noticed when I drink an IPA or ale, and eat something the food doesn't taste as good.

I have zero tolerance for drinking and driving. ZERO.

Your friend may not be an alcoholic, but there just might be some hard-wired activity from the 'reward' center of his brain which got tickled the wrong way upon learning that alcohol wasn't an option with the meal.
Another theory is that his values system centers around "freedom" and he feels that since it's a free country, that it's his 'cot dang right' to have booze made available for his paid dining experience.

Personally, I would not care and would be quite contented with a good meal and atmosphere.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Very interesting reaction. Sounds like the guy is a closet alcoholic. It's defined as having more than 4 drinks in a day. Moderate would be just 2 drinks and a drink is defined as 12 oz of beer. I think a regular drink at a restaurant is typically a little bit more than than so it's easy for 2 drinks or more to turn into 4 drinks.

It's very normal around here to go to a restaurant that doesn't serve alcohol, probably because the number of alcohol licenses are limited and it's expensive to get a license.

When I started reading this thread, I wondered what would be considered an Alcoholic.....If that is the metric......I AM an Alcoholic, I average about 6 beers a day after work.....But I do not drink & drive.

Though I have worked with guys that can kill 50+ beers throughout a day & still function normally, But their no longer here because health problems caused by alcohol.

Why does this board get trolled so much regarding alcohol one way or another? LOL

Okay, I'll play. As an avid drinker and fan of alcohol, I could give a flying funk about whether a restaurant serves it or not. It's about the food and I can drink at home after or whatever, and yes booze is expensive when out to eat. That being said, it depends on the occasion.

I can't think of too many places I'd take a date out to dinner that didn't serve some sort of alcohol (whether I drink it or not because more often I don't bother). I typically associate such places as a Podunk family diner or something, which is fine because I've had some good meals in such places. But the top restaurants have booze because it's one of the biggest parts of their profit margin here. Perhaps other places in the grand old USA are different...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back