What would you do in this situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently got an email from a friend who was recounting a recent vacation and in it he was complaining about a restaurant he went to because they didn't serve alcohol of any type. The decision was on purpose he said in the email. He said he asked why and he was told it was A) because they didn't want the liability of serving alcohol and then people driving way and B) because they were a family restaurant and felt it wasn't appropriate there.

He said he and his family ate there anyway( hungry and didn't want to leave for another place )but he had a fit and said he would never go back there again. I mean he was really angry. Out of curiosity I asked him if the food was any good? He said it was excellent. So he had an excellent meal but would never return?

I was really surprised at his reaction as he isn't an alcoholic or anything so I asked some of my family and other friends that drink to see what they thought. It really surprised me that the overwhelming majority wouldn't go there if they couldn't get an alcoholic beverage( wine, beer, mixed drink, etc... )as well.
21.gif

I admit I don't drink so it isn't even a consideration for me. However, I still don't get it. To me, whether you drink or not, the food is the thing that should matter if you are going out to eat. If they don't serve alcohol so what. Get a soda, milk, tea, coffee, water, or whatever. There has to be something else people like to drink besides beer, wine, hard stuff, etc... To write off an excellent restaurant( food wise )because you can't drink too seems odd to me. Not saying you always go there just that I don't get never going there.

So I am curious what some of you think. Would you go to a restaurant if you couldn't drink an alcoholic beverage with your meal? Obviously this is for those who actually drink. Again I don't so it isn't an issue for me but I know a lot of people do and I am curious how many think they have to be served some type of alcohol with their meal to enjoy it?

NOTE - I am not judging anyone here at all! If it sounds like I am it is not intended. I am just curious if this is a wide spread view?

Thanks and PLEASE keep it civil. Also, the restaurant in question does not matter. This is a hypothetical question I am asking based on something my friend said to me. I used his comments to explain why I am asking is all. This is not a referendum on that place.

I do drink but I don't drink at work and we have nice restaurants nearby for lunch.

Some people just need to rage about something... be it booze, a store you can't "pack heat" in, a junk car in the street, etc.

Personally, I go to restaurants that serve alcohol, but RARELY ever have alcohol with my meal. I certainly have no problem with alcohol, and drank quite a lot when we went out with friends on Saturday night when we were younger. (many years ago) But I just don't care much for any form of alcohol with a meal. As a matter of fact I much prefer plain water. But, cold beer and snacks while watching a football game , that is different!

Well I wonder that also, recently I had a family member take a job in a other state and for the good bye dinner they asked for suggestions to eat, keep in mind this involved all ages, children to grandparents well anything with no alcohol was not considered and the bar restaurant they choose I can't say they food was bad but nothing great compared to other suggestions and the kicker was no one even drank much alcohol some felt it being available was important.
TOTO.

FWIW we had a sales/meals tax situation where if a restaurant served liquor, the tax on the FOOD was higher, even if the customer ordered a coke.

Then you get into annoying licenses where a restaurant can only make 30% of its gross from booze and other weird situations. Bring a flask and some discretion.
laugh.gif

I drink water when I go out to eat. If I drink I drink at home also. Don't need to lose my livelihood over alcohol

I like a drink before dinner, but good food is more important than a liquor license.

We almost always drink booze with our dinner. Places that don't sell booze are usually BYOB in NJ; so we'll just bring a bottle of wine with us. We probably wouldn't go back to a place that didn't serve booze or wouldn't let us bring it ourselves. We wouldn't get angry or write letters.

Owners of restaurant can do as the please and not serve alcohol.

No need to go on Yelp or waste time writing a letter to owners of restaurant.

Last edited:
If you get that angry about something so trivial, there is something else going on.

Perhaps they can't get a liquor license? Your friend is an alcoholic, plain and simple. Not only was he angry about it, but he was so angry about it that he told you, an acquaintance of his. These are not the actions of a reasonable person without an addiction.

Or maybe he was just so mad about the election that he is angry at any and everything. Micro-aggressions the kids call them these days.

I don't like to have an alcoholic beverage with a meal. Heck,I need a HUGE glass of iced tea to quench my thirst and wash it all down with haha :p

I far prefer restaurants that are BYO to ones where they sell alcohol.

I live in a dry town - no alcohol sold here. All restaurants are by default BYOB, which again, I actually prefer.

But I dont throw a fit if a restaurant has a liquor license. I also dont throw a fit if a restaurant makes some other choice. I can vote with my dollar, and my conscience, depending upon what I know of the local laws, the pricing, the quality of the food, etc.

Some people just need to complain.

I enjoy a drink with my meal- depending of course on whether it's a meal that is suitable to have a drink with, however I certainly wouldn't have a fit if the restaurant didn't serve alcohol, nor would I exclude it from further dining excursions.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
I'm not an alcoholic to require booze with a meal.

I see what you're saying there, but am not sure I'd typify all people who require the option of alcohol as alcoholics.

Alcohol at restaurants is also really expensive!! For example,for the price of one beer,you can swing by the grocery store on the way home and buy a whole six pack. Alcohol is WAY more marked up than food at restaurants.

I like the liquor type places since they have many different drinks to choose from, craft beers, wines from all over the globe, mixed drinks like Captain and Coke. I like having the options esp for the people I am with. Plus sometimes I can sample their drink and vice versa. I recently had a Guiness Beer Shake at Red Robin that was excellent. Pretty much Guiness and soft serve vanilla ice cream in a blender. Not sure what the ratio was but it was just about perfect. This other place has excellent vanilla bean shakes that are huge and a meal in themselves. For an extra $4 they can add vodka and Kahlua to it which I haven't tried yet but again nice to have options. Plus the scenery is usually better at these places and the bartenders very friendly. Kind of a nice vibe going on.

My cousin recently came to town and wanted to go out to dinner. He's a detective and wanted to unwind a little. He said as long as they have beer it will be fine. He likes the craft type stuff and trying different beers. I took them to a family friendly type place since his two children and wife were present, Michael Symon's B Spot which is the plaee I mentioned above with the milkshakes. He and his family enjoyed it and he said it's nice trying a local spot compared to the chain restaurants.

Well the owners of the restaurant can choose how to run their business and people can decide whether to go there for dinner. It probably has great food if they can stay in business without the $$ from the bar.

There are some towns where it is hard to get a liquor license and or they have a fixed number and you have to buy one from someone place closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back