What would you do 2010 Chrylser 3.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
My moms 2010 GrandCaravan has the 3.8 v6. As many of you may know...these later generations of the 3.3/3.8 family love to consume oil.

According to my dad its about a quart every 1500miles.

Way back I did have it on a Amsoil regimen...but with the constant need to keep topping it off Ive switched to easy store based products.

Current OC is OCOD and I think castrol or quaker state 5w30 conventional. I really cannot remember.

Its due for another change. We loosely change it all around 5k.

I was thinking walmart ST HM 10-30w and a ST filter. Mainly for price point. Let the filter go 10k and with the constant topping off the oil.

The van just hit 100k and I just replaced the old original Champions with NGK plugs.

It does have a Amsoil Nano air filter which I really love.

Last edited:
Bummer that it's consuming. Don't know enough about the current ST filters to know if 10k is in the cards. But ST, and possibly HM seems like a plan if consuming.

Not sure the HM version is needed if it's not the seals...

I'm not sure I'd push a $2.84 oil filter to 10,000 miles. Especially when it might end up being 12,000 miles, by your own "loosely" admission. A Fram Tough Guard might be a better match.. better media, silicone anti-drain back valve....

I would definitely step up to 5w-30. I used 5w-30 in my 3.8 Town & Country. I'm not sure if I'd go to 10w-30, especially in winter, not knowing all of the details.

For less than a dollar more, you should be able to get a 5 quart jug of Quaker State High Mileage Semi-Synthetic instead of the SuperTech. QS at my local store is $14.17, and SuperTech is $13.97. Just 4 cents a quart more.

I wouls just drive it with Oil / Filter change 300 miles . Go 500 if you have to .

Back in the day 1500 miles to a quart was not considered too bad .

Did you check the valve cover gaskets? Those may need replacing. I would go with a high mileage 5w-30 or 10w-40.

+1 on getting a bit better of a filter of you are streching out OCI intervals.

Last edited:
Amsoil ASF 10w40! NOACK of 3.7. If it burns this oil you got problems. Knowing U want to put in cheaper oil then go with an SAE straight 30. I am running some in my 2010 Ram now w no problems and I am in PA and we still have snow.

Last edited:
The motor is bone dry absolutely no leaks. I believe Chrysler says this consumption is "normal". Probably due to low tension rings for less drag. It doesnt smoke that I know of.

I wonder if its sucking it thru the pcv as well?

Ill consider the TG. Not needing to be super cheap. Just cost effective for whats going on.

mrsilv04 said:
I'm not sure I'd push a $2.84 oil filter to 10,000 miles. Especially when it might end up being 12,000 miles, by your own "loosely" admission. A Fram Tough Guard might be a better match.. better media, silicone anti-drain back valve....

I like the combination of your ST 10/30 HM and the Fram TG.

I recall reading on Jeep boards that some of the Chrysler 3.8L engines were assembled with the piston rings upside down causing oil consumption issues. I would look into it and see if your engine was impacted or not. If it was there isn't much that can be done other than a rebuild.

Change to fresh oil. I doubt your Grandfather ever got on it. So....Take it out for a Italian tuneup. Maybe clean the ring landings up.

Full can of BG109 (EPR) 100 miles before the change. Do this a few times and the consumption will drop.

Really, a qt every 1,500 is nothing to cry over. Yeah, it's some oil. But, it means the add pak is getting refreshed a fair amount so maybe 8,000 mile oil changes should be the norm
smile.gif

I've been trying to reduce the oil consumption on a 2008 Grand Caravan 3.8 for the last few years. The PCV valve can cause oil consumption on these engines, but it made no difference to oil consumption on my particular engine when it was replaced. From my experience, different high mileage oils seem to make the most difference.

This is what I've found while trying out different oils.

Valvoline DuraBlend 5W-20: 1qt every ~1,700 miles
Valvoline SynPower 5W-20: 1qt every ~1,700 miles
Pennzoil Platinum PP 5W-20: 1qt every ~1,700 miles
Valvoline MaxLife Full Syn 5W-30: 1 qt every 2,400 miles
Castrol Edge High Mileage 5W-30: 1 qt every 3,600 miles

I'm going to use Edge HM 5W-20 next oil change and see if oil consumption is any different compared to the 5W-30 Edge HM that I've been using for the last two oil changes.

I dealt with this on my old '07 DGC. She would burn/use a quart of oil every 1000 miles give or take. Didn't matter what I used, but I settled on Valv Max Life 5w30 until I traded it in. You can definitely stretch the OCI if you feel comfortable with it.

Definitely inspect the PCV valve. Its a PITA to remove (if you haven't checked it in 100K miles), take it easy, and try not to break the valve cover when yanking up on it.

As far as plugs, I would have stuck with OE Champion double platinum's. I guess its too late now, but if she starts running rough or you notice something, go back to a set of new Champions.

Good luck

Thanks for the tips. I have a spare catch can I might rig up on it just to see if anything develops. I was always under the assumption it was more a ring issue

I forgot to mention my oil regimen on my 2007 GC in my previous post. Since I'm adding about a quart monthly now I decided to really stretch the OCI. I put a fram Ultra on it and run it to about 20k miles. I run 5w-30 of any variety I have left over from other vehicles. I had planned to never do a full oil replacement since it is being replenished so often, but, couldn't bring myself to do it. So, when I change the filter I also change the oil with whatever the cheapest oil I have in my stash is, which is usually some full synthetic I've found a deal on. I've even added some 15w-40 HDEO I had left over from my motorcycle. After about 60k miles on this regimen the vehicle is running great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back