What would you buy ~$30k Performance car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one who thinks that the STi was cooler when they only offered the WRC-style roof vent?

I don't think the Caliber will come AWD, not after D/C let go of Mitsu.

An M3 or Z-coupe would be nice, but maintenance is pricey. I'd look for a later model with the Euro M-engine, and no sunroof.

If you like the way a Mazda drives you'll probably like a Volvo. PAG uses mostly Mazda chassis's...

Or they have a getrag with a quaiffe which is lighter, less complicated than an AWD system.

You cant argue with their current SRT4. With the bolt on stage 3 kit you can run low 12's and put 350 WHP down on high octane mode.

quote:

Originally posted by CBDFrontier06:
There's a move on the part of Dodge that I'll never understand. Let's give the N/A 4-banger an AWD option, but let's hook the 300HP turbo screamer to FWD. I'm guessing this is due to their inability to locate / cough up an AWD system that could handle the horses in time for the car's release...it just struck me as very odd.

I'm not arguing that the Neon SRT-4 is potent...but NO Neon was ever offered with AWD. I just feel that if Dodge was going to bother with AWD, it should have been developed for the SRT-4, not the R/T with a CVT.

The CVT is from JATCO, it cant handle the HP and tourque.

To keep the cost down they opted to stick with Getrag who they know can provice a high capacity gear set with the nice quaiffe.

quote:

Originally posted by CBDFrontier06:
I'm not arguing that the Neon SRT-4 is potent...but NO Neon was ever offered with AWD. I just feel that if Dodge was going to bother with AWD, it should have been developed for the SRT-4, not the R/T with a CVT.

KCRyan has now declared that a sportscar to him means 2 doors, so all your over-achieving wagons and sedans are OUT! Too bad for him the RX-8 is also thrown out with the bath water.
The new Audi TT is suppposed to be quite a different and better driving car, but then there's the reliability question...

kcryan,

I think coming off a C class Merc, you may find the Subie a little spartan and unrefined inside. It is relatively stripped inside, both in content and materials quality. But it is one extremely fun ride, especially at its price point. I don't think I could live with it day to day, but I am a bit older than the target market and value the cockpit and smaller details as much as the engine compartment. Were it slightly bigger, more refined and comfortable, better optioned and more luxurious, I'd drive a WRX. In fact, I do. It's an S60R. This is no knock on the WRX; it can run with an R all day long for a lot less money.

Bear in mind that to approximate the luxury and comfort levels you are accustomed to requires added weight, and that will sap performance unless you increase power accordingly. That costs more money. Some weight helps winter performance, depending on how the chassis is tuned. Added weight also compromises handling dynamics, and past a certain point those compromises cannot be overcome. Conversely, lighter vehicles and those with an off-balanced weight to power delivery profile do not grip or handle as well in winter conditions. So as you can see, your diverse priorities set up competing compromises.

I think you are on the right track with an AWD platform. This will assist in managing higher outputs in winter conditions. I would also lean towards forced induction powerplants based on your cooler geographics. This will keep the power to weight ratio favorable vs. a larger NA engine and can offset some of the weight gains of the AWD system and other luxury fat. There's a reason turbos are so favored by the Swedes and some Germans, who live in cooler climates such as yours. Take advantage of it.

I'm sure you know all this, but they appear to be factors that are missed in some of the recommendations.

I'm also sure that you are not confining yourself to just coupes, as you would eliminate most choices by doing so.

quote:

Originally posted by gtx510:

. . .

If you like the way a Mazda drives you'll probably like a Volvo. PAG uses mostly Mazda chassis's...

Not true. The S60 P2 platform is completely Volvo's. And it will likely be the last all Volvo designed platform during FoMoCo's control. The current S40 is a later shared platform. But no Volvo drives like a Mazda, not even the entry S40/V50.

quote:

Originally posted by Volvohead:
I would also lean towards forced induction powerplants based on your cooler geographics. This will keep the power to weight ratio favorable vs. a larger NA engine and can offset some of the weight gains of the AWD system and other luxury fat. There's a reason turbos are so favored by the Swedes and some Germans, who live in cooler climates such as yours. Take advantage of it.

That's an interesting observation, but I think that's more of a beneficial side effect than an actual reason for choosing turbocharging. And I don't think you can single out the Swedes and Germans living up north as a reason for pioneering turbos, as all manufacturers' HQs are in the North, climate-wise. Turbos are an efficient way of boosting any existing model's torque without otherwise altering weight and layout too much.

Aren't car's in Europe and Asia taxed according to their displacement?
So a FI would increase the power of a car without increasing the taxes on it?
I also don't think it's as academic as "it's colder here so the turbo (or intercooler) works better".
Boosted car's didn't always have intercoolers anyhow.

And there IS the obvious size/weight advantage.

The cool climate does help but it was, as gtx said, also about economics and environmentalism. Plus the aformentioned torque. My 2.3l 4-cylinder SAAB gives a surprising kick in the pants on throttle application.

But, I know, I know. No front wheel drive....

quote:

Originally posted by BrianWC:
Forget a WRX, if you like a sleeper get a Forester XT.

Our Legacy GT Wagon is a nice sleeper too. I have embarassed a 350z driver(about the same acceleration) and surprised a Corvette with my wife's "family" car.

-

quote:

Originally posted by Tosh:

quote:

Originally posted by Volvohead:
I would also lean towards forced induction powerplants based on your cooler geographics. This will keep the power to weight ratio favorable vs. a larger NA engine and can offset some of the weight gains of the AWD system and other luxury fat. There's a reason turbos are so favored by the Swedes and some Germans, who live in cooler climates such as yours. Take advantage of it.

That's an interesting observation, but I think that's more of a beneficial side effect than an actual reason for choosing turbocharging. And I don't think you can single out the Swedes and Germans living up north as a reason for pioneering turbos, as all manufacturers' HQs are in the North, climate-wise. Turbos are an efficient way of boosting any existing model's torque without otherwise altering weight and layout too much.

Smart manufacturers don't build their vehicles for their home office locale, but for their intended market regions. Otherwise, Ford would move from Dearborn to Texas. I would not own a turbo south of the Carolinas. The power drop off of FI in warmer climates is quite significant. While not without drawbacks, turbocharging offers significant advantages, including less production weight and increased fuel economy when driven moderately. And when needed, the power of a V8 in an I4 or I5. It all ties together with the concurrent European regulations that now encourage them. But the former preceded the latter.

When I went from a MAP to MAF system from my last to current Saab, the performance drop off in summer has been much less noticeable. Far more taxing is the use of a/c.

No chance of a beater, trust me if there was id get a old 911 or something and a civic, but that wont work....Mustang could probally be managed in the winter with good snow tires, but im VERY hesitant to buy a ford, esspescially a new one,

Again great ideas guys, keep em coming thanks

Why not an old Merc diesel wagon to try and run biodiesel or WVO?

You MAY want to check out Motor Trend. One of the editors custom ordered a Mustang and followed it on the assembly line. Interesting story.

quote:

Originally posted by BrianWC:
When I went from a MAP to MAF system from my last to current Saab, the performance drop off in summer has been much less noticeable. Far more taxing is the use of a/c.

I could see that. But do you think a MAP sensor + a air intake sensor would be more accurate than just a MAFS?
And how'd you switch from MAP to MAF?

lol, I didn't switch. I switched Saabs. A MAP sensor was used with Saab Trionic 5 Engine Mgt. That was in my 1997 900. My 2001 9-5 uses Trionic 7, which went to MAF and is infinately less tuneable for the DIY'er.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back