What would you buy ~$30k Performance car

Status
Not open for further replies.
A brand new Lexus IS250 with RWD, MT, and no options goes for $31,800. By no means is that a 'stripped' car, it still has a lot of features, including 8 airbags, good stereo, keyless ignition, leather, etc.

Dodge Caliber STR4 (new release)
Dodge (Neon) STR4 (turbo'd rocket and you can upgrade)

I still mention the Subaru WRX STI around $32K (as you never said why you couldn't do it).

The Evo(I know you said no to Mits) X (10) is just around the corner.

Your just gonna have to suck it up and buy domestic. Take a look at the Dodge Charger. It has an available 425hp hemi. This car will make the others you listed look like kids toys.

Honda SKYLINE (if you can find one)

the saturn SKY is a nice looking car (it is saturn right guys lol

dont concider the chargers a sports car. more like the dodge version of the 300M. also form what I am told you cant spin the tires on a charger. something to do with the tranny. so if I get a car I want to light up the tires from time to tim if its RWD or FWD. lol

will also say EVO and WRX if you want quick out the box feel.

nobody mention this but I have been looking into this.......MAZDASPEED6
It has AWD, Japanese, Turbocharged 2.3L 4 cylinder that pumps out close to 300hp and 300ft/lbs of tq. Gas mileage is ok. More of a "grown up" AWD performance car VS the Boy racer styling of the Mitsu Evo and WRX. Its limited edition for 06 so you could probably get a screaming deal if you find one on a lot somewhere. In fact Mazda just recently had like 3500.00 cash back. Would put the car at like 27K for the grand sport touring and even cheaper for the GT. Check it out, nice car.

MS6 has "AWD". the driveshaft is always spinning but most of the time the rear diff is taking a dirtnap. What a waste of energy...
Turbo "ford" duratec engine...

Honduh Skyline? I hope you mean the NSX is like a hondhuh skyline? Actually it's more like a FD3S RX7 and the Supra is more like the Skyline...

Mini = FWD

The S2000 is light years ahead of the Miata. And i hate honduhs... they can share diffs though
The new miata has a ford duratec engine. yeah.
the older model had an engine design that dated to 1986. And the variable cam timing is ** compared to VTEC, much less I-vtec.

"Any RWD vehicle will be useless in Upstate NY for four months out of the year. Ask "Thatwouldbegreat" what they drive in Vail...."

My Catera and an older mercedes were both fine, the TCS on the catera made it easy to drive.

The audi i love, but im scared as some people have real bad luck with em.

I can do another mercedes, i hated this one, and vowed never to buy another DC product.

FJ Cruiser, there cool no doubt, but does it really qualify as a sports car?

Solstice (or sky) mabye, ill have to look into that.

Thanks guys keep em coming

Here's possibly an offbeat suggestion: Have you thought about the Honda Accord EX V-6 with the 6 speed manual? It's available in both 2 and 4 doors. Reliability and gas mileage is very good. I've test driven one and it's very quick and smooth. Finally, it won't dent your wallet as much as a BMW or Mercedes; fully loaded, one can be purchased for about $27000.00. Just my 2 cents.

I looked at the Mazdaspeed 6, but sadly recommends something lke 94 octane. The best we got in California is 91. And the engine mgt system really does not like the lower octane.

I'm really lovin' my RX8; so I'd recommend at least giving one a test drive. gas mileage is not very good, but you can balance that out w/ the fact that buying one is quite a bargain these days. because of slow sales, these cars can be had at thousands less than MSRP. you can buy a new one for pretty much the same $ than an optioned-out MX5.

never driven mine in snow, but with Traction Control and DSC (defeatable), I'd wager it does a better job in winter than an S2K or MX5.

Volvo S60R. A winter tiger. Haldex electronic AWD and 300hp stock. Easily modded to over 350hp. Much more comfortable daily ride than an M3. Best seats in the business. And they're uncommon; only about 3000 are made each year. 2007 is the last year for them. Actual sale prices are under $40k new. Oh, and it's a manual 6-sp.

quote:

Originally posted by 12glocks:

quote:

Originally posted by kcryan:

-Be offered in a manual
-Be RWD or possibly AWD
-Likely not be made in the USA, sorry, but the only sports car we are good at is the vette, which is too pricey, and uses too much gas.
-Be within my price range (preferably around 30k, no more than say 37, and it would have to be perfect for that price)
-Be 2001 or newer (or New new)
-BE able to live through Rochester winters, with or without snow tires (i can get em if i must) with a driver who isnt awesome in the snow (not me for the first few years.

Subaru WRX STI. It's practically a real race car.

x2...I love mine. And if the O.P. is looking for something a bit more "stealthy", take a look at the limited edition STI available for 2007:
 -

No rear wing (just a small lip-spoiler), leather seats, moonroof, black painted Brembo brakes (instead of gold), etc.

quote:

Originally posted by 12glocks:
I believe in 04 or 05 they started installing factory radio's in them. Prior to that it was an option to save weight.

Starting in 2005 they came stock with a 6-disc CD changer headunit. Prior to that, a radio (several were offered I believe) was a dealer-installed option.

The OP's coming off a Mercedes, and names half a dozen premium Japanese and European sports models (with the "cheaper" Miata tossed in for poops and giggles). He directly says he doesn't want an American.

But folks start recommending Dodges, Pontiacs and Mustangs to him anyway.

Despite the caption, I think he's flying his flag fairly plainly, fellas.

Subaru Legacy GT (250HP grown up version of WRX). It is a very reliable car and built in the USA. Worth a test drive.

In the SpecB version a nice handler and very comfortable.

I am tainted, my wife drives the wagon version and we absolutely love it, my car is a WRX which is ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back