~$30k Performance Sedan Reccomandations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright guys, some of you may remember me asking a few months ago about a 30,000 dollar or so car, that thread gave me so many ideas i thought id do another, still looking for my next car, will be buying it next spring/summer, here is what i need
-4 Door performance sedan.
-preferably 30k or less, if its the perfect fit, up to 35k
-Reliable
-Can be used but less than 35k or so miles, new is better.
-2004 is probally the oldest ill look at
-MANUAL
-Snow-able (with snow tires, and a good driver)
-RWD or AWD mabye

I may add to that list as i think of more...

Here is what ive been thinking:
-2007 Infiniti G-35 with the VQ35HR, I have an I30, QX4, and Xterra so i know nissan can make a good car, and this should be good...

-Lexus IS250 (id love a 350, but no manual...)

-Cadillac CTS-V, this one interests me, but reliability?? i had a Catera, loved the car even if it was slowish, but it wasnt all that reliable, tranny was my big problem though, and this is a 6 speed that should be pretty solid...

-Bmw something? 330i mabye, not sure..

-Audi S4, Actually id love one of these, they seem so nice, but again reliability...i dont know...

-WRX-EVO, fun and fast, but long term?? and they dont seem to be as quality as the rest of my list...

Thanks guys,
Let me know what you think of my ideas, and add any of your own.

A Subaru Legacy GT might be worth a look. Excluding the pricey Spec B, a well-equipped 2007 LGT can be had for well under $30K. Although WRXs/STIs have proven to be very reliable, the LGT would probably be a better fit for you considering your other choices.

I've been looking at 2007 VW Passats. My local dealership has one with aluminum wheels, leatherette interior, and six-speed manual which drives very nicely.

Their price on the car was $22,670 plus sales tax and licensing fees.

I loved the feel of the short-throw transmission. Clutch was very quick to engage which would take some getting used to. The '07 models also offered some features that either weren't available on the '06 models or were only offered in a more expensive package such as power seats, bi-xenon headlamps, rear head airbags, etc.

I liked the car and would buy it if I were truly in need.

I have been impressed with our Volvo S60. There is practically no turbo lag. The S60R is the performance version. I would look into it if I were looking for more performance. However, the 2.5T has just the right combination of peppiness, handling, fuel economy and price for us. It does come available with AWD.

Last edited:
For a Nissan/Infiniti guy, I'd have the G35 at the top of my list too. It meets all your criteria.

In addition to what's been offered so far, consider the Saab 9-5 Aero and the Volvo S60-R. Both are 4 doors in your price range, both do well in the snow (with proper tires) and both can be had with a manual. Reliability could be an issue but not more so than any European brand.

The CTS-V is an interesting choice. A used '05 is going to be right at the max of your price range. If you can find one, take it for a spin and see how you like it.

I like the Cadillac CTS or maybe look at a Buick Lucerne. Wife and I test drove the regular CTS and it handles and runs well. Too much $$$ for me though. I think for next new car we'll probably get the Buick.
cheers.gif

Quote:

Don't forget the Acura TL.

He said RWD or AWD.

I like the looks of the IS, but the 250 is a bit weak compared to some of the other cars you mentioned. Take it for a spin anyway... maybe it'll be sufficient.

The new G also looks interesting, although lookswise it's still kind of 'blah', but that's a personal preference I guess.

Stay away from the Acura, I had one and got rid of it quickly, unreliable(electronics), a miserable clutch, and a turning circle about the size of New Jersey! An extremely disappointing car. I like the CTS-V but it eats tires and rear suspension bushings. I think your choices are between the Infinity and a BMW 3 series. My money would be on the BMW, though the Infinity will probably require less maintenance. There are a lot of interesting choices in that range.

There is no real problem with Subaru WRX reliabilty. My sister has had one for 50,000 miles with zero problems.If you want something that does well in the snow I would strongly suggest AWD. Even with modern traction control the powerful RWD cars can get "loopy" on slick surfaces. The Infiniti G35 seems like the obvious choice to me.If you go with BMW, remember that the "base" versions are lower priced and contain fewer ________ electronics. BMW's get very expensive when you start putting options on them.

Quote:

Alright guys, some of you may remember me asking a few months ago about a 30,000 dollar or so car, that thread gave me so many ideas i thought id do another, still looking for my next car, will be buying it next spring/summer, here is what i need
-4 Door performance sedan.
-preferably 30k or less, if its the perfect fit, up to 35k
-Reliable
-Can be used but less than 35k or so miles, new is better.
-2004 is probally the oldest ill look at
-MANUAL
-Snow-able (with snow tires, and a good driver)
-RWD or AWD mabye

I may add to that list as i think of more...

Let me know what you think of my ideas, and add any of your own.

I like the Infiniti G35 also (especially the G35x).

One to add to your list: the Mazdaspeed6. Much higher fun factor than any of the rides you mentioned, even more than the BMW.

Quote:

You mentioned some nice rides, take your pick. Don't forget the Acura TL. Not sure if it comes with a manual tranny.

G35. TL dropped the 6MT for 2007 except in the Type-S trim.

Third on the Subaru Legacy. Mine has leather, I routinely run for 10 hours per trip about 5-6 times a month. Really comfortable for me. For the money, it is really hard to beat this car and get AWD.

The Legacy i will have to look at, not sure about it, but ive never much looked at them, ill also look at the S60 R

Acura unreliable?! never heard that, but i never found them very inspiring...

The old catera was RWD with traction control, and it did just fine in the snow, with no snow tires, so im guessing i should be alright in most of these choices...

Thanks guys, keep the ideas coming

BMW hands down. You can pick up a used `06 330i for that price range or a new `07 328i. 6-spd manual and sport package are a must IMO. I've driven nearly all those cars and if your looking for a "Drivers" car than the BMW is the one. The only thing I was disappointed in with the new 3-series was the interior materials.

Also if you go new they have neat programs such as Euro Delivery which takes $2-3k off the MSRP of a 3-series and you can pick it right up in Munich and tour around Europe. Also they offer the Performance Delivery pick up in South Carolina which I've heard is a lot of fun also.

With free maintenance and warranty for 4yr/50k miles (brakes, wipers, fluids, etc.) it's a pretty nice buy. Of course in BITOG fashion I would do my own oil changes
smile.gif

There's a new Subaru WRX around the corner, so be sure to wait until then to decide.
But it sounds like you'll be happy with another Infiniti, and I hear the new G is nice inside.

Why not pick up a 2003 (or 2004) Mercury Marauder?

You can get a nice 2003 for about $15,000 to $18,000 or a nice 2004 for about three or four grand more. Drop $5,000 on a supercharger and pocket the difference over all those other cars you've mentioned.

You'll have power, reliability, safety, comfort, looks, and a unique limited-production car. Oh, and it'll cost about ten grand less than your other options.

Just my two cents.
smile.gif

I believe he mentioned he wants something available with a manual transmission.

My vote is 1) Infiniti G35 ("X" isn't available with M/T)
2)Legacy GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back