What weight oil over and over

am i correct in saying that only ilsac oils bear the api "for gasoline engines" starburst? i edited my prior post to clarify that i'd thought that was the determining factor.

Also:

Reactions: SR5

Also:
in a word, then, yes. thanks for the links!

If there could only be one oil viscosity in the world, it would most likely be 5W-30.

There is a current Mazda engine made in Japan and shipped worldwide, identical motors with no changes for various markets, In the USA 0w-20 Only. & Europe & Mexico 0w-20 or 5w-30, elsewhere a wide range of viscosity up to 10w-50 are specified based on ambient temperature.

Obviously this motor will run on 0w-20, but It would be inaccurate to say that that 0w-20 is ideal for all conditions from Barrow AK to Key west FL, and as long as you live outside the reach of certain laws Mazda will tell you the same.

Its doesnt matter to me which engine world wide ect.
Our 2012 Skyactive manual mentioned Mexico 5/30 and that is what we have used here in South Carolina since day one. I ahve never used a 20 in the 16 years we lived here, no matter the vehicle.

All this talk in this forum about weight is just talk.
Plain common sense says that an oil used up in the cold northern states is best matched with a likewise oil and something in the southern states which is a completely different climate has no need to a thin fast flowing cold start up oil. Even with that said we are splitting hairs in the south.

So I guess it wouldnt bother me much to use a 0 or 5/20 upstate NY in the winter when temps routinely dip down to near 0 degrees.
With that said there is no way I am putting a 0 or 5/20 oil in my engine here in South Carolina. Where for a good couple months I am driving around in 90+ degree whether ... There is no reason for it.
Lets face it, those 0/20 and 5/20 oils are produced to maximum fuel economy, will it matter? No maybe not but again, no way would I use them in my hot climate compared to a climate in some northern states.
Its a one size fits all solution for maximum gas mileage and EVEN MAZDA STATES THAT IN THEIR 2020 CX5 MANUAL which I will post below.

BTW I HOPE YOU KNOW I AGREE WITH YOU AND THAT DOESNT GET LOST IN MY RANT! *LOL*

Here you go, Mazda 2020 CX5 oil recommendations.
BTW my 2017 Chevy truck calls for 5/30 and my last now sold 2008 Dodge Truck called for 5/20 BUT stated 5/30 can be used.
0 and 5/20 is to push the MPG as high as possible and would make sense in below 0F operating conditions, 5/30 would be the best general use and for some reason, my last 3 cars gave me that option.

Here you go = "Mazda Genuine 0W-20 Oil is required to achieve optimum fuel economy"
(make sure to scroll down the page of the link I provided and read everything)

It then goes on where some of Skyactive engines require 5w30

... and outside of the USA and Canada 5/30 is recommended AKA Mexico

Last edited:
The Skyactiv in Mexico has 5w-30 but SM rated oil. For the rest of North America including Puerto Rico and Canada it is 0w-20 SN rated. The quality SM rating for Mexico is a step down. Mazda ships their cars world wide with 0w-20
It is easier to have one oil at the factory.

Here you go, Mazda 2020 CX5 oil recommendations.
BTW my 2017 Chevy truck calls for 5/30 and my last now sold 2008 Dodge Truck called for 5/20 BUT stated 5/30 can be used.
0 and 5/20 is to push the MPG as high as possible and would make sense in below 0F operating conditions, 5/30 would be the best general use and for some reason, my last 3 cars gave me that option.

Here you go = "Mazda Genuine 0W-20 Oil is required to achieve optimum fuel economy"
(make sure to scroll down the page of the link I provided and read everything)

It then goes on where some of Skyactive engines require 5w30

... and outside of the USA and Canada 5/30 is recommended AKA Mexico
Nice info... CX-5 Covers the bases.
2016 Mazda Miata oil specs, scroll down. North America Mazda.

1643748210090.jpg

The owners manual for my 2010 Ford Crown Victoria only list 5W20 I’m guessing that’s the same recommendation internationally

Attachments

• USA.jpg
    USA.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Mexico.jpg
    Mexico.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 16
How dare you insult a motor oil by calling out it’s weight! It’s 2022 and the motor oils demand to no longer be weight shamed. Come Monday morning, HR will have a mandatory sensitivity training class to address the emotional impact of referring to the oils by their weight, instead of their viscosity. 😏

How dare you insult a motor oil by calling out it’s weight! It’s 2022 and the motor oils demand to no longer be weight shamed. Come Monday morning, HR will have a mandatory sensitivity training class to address the emotional impact of referring to the oils by their weight, instead of their viscosity. 😏
This is why I bitog

Back