What was/is the most reliable IC engine of all time?

The longest lasting engine you wished would die sooner? My buddy had a manual S10 with an iron duke and it was remarkably bad in power, torque and NVH, but it never quit with all the hateful abuse he could throw at it... Kind of like how terrible tires seem to last forever too.

For little gas 4 bangers the ford/mazda duratec seems to be pretty good. I did a 2-1 shift instead of 2-3 shift on the autocross course and it probably saw 9k rpm atleast and just sucked it up and kept on going... I could be wrong, but I don't think to many engines can shrug off 50% more rpm over redline?
Ya I never said I liked it only got it to save on the cost of the new Camaro. I gave it away after I pulled it out of the Camaro with about 4000 miles or less on the it? The darn thing weigh the same as the Small block Chevy I replaced it with. LOL The freind I gave it to had a small ranch and he transplanted it and the transmission I gave him in his rusty old 70's Dodge truck. That was in 1982. To this day that rustier and lots older Dodge truck and Ironduke engine are still running well in it. LOL

My very first car was a 72 Pinto that was given to me by my uncle. The only internal work the engine I think it ever saw was some new umbrella type valve seals as it consumed a couple of quarts of SAE30 between changes. I sold it with ~300k to an old iron worker in our neighborhood who drove it for many years.
Wow you are better human then me.... I am not sure I would ever admit to owning a PINTO ! 😜

poking fun at u

Ya I never said I liked it only got it to save on the cost of the new Camaro. I gave it away after I pulled it out of the Camaro with about 4000 miles or less on the it? The darn thing weigh the same as the Small block Chevy I replaced it with. LOL The freind I gave it to had a small ranch and he transplanted it and the transmission I gave him in his rusty old 70's Dodge truck. That was in 1982. To this day that rustier and lots older Dodge truck and Ironduke engine are still running well in it. LOL
Awesome story! I learned to drive in my mom's Pontiac Pheonix with that gutless 2.5.

Inline 6-cyl engines are underappreciated. They are the smoothest, most naturally balanced, vibration-free engines that can be built. The only engine smoother is the V-12, which is two inline 6 engines put together.

Your post just reminded me also of those wonderfully smooth and vibration free straight eight cylinder engines that were used in many of the great cars of the past such as the Packards before the V-8’s took over. Straight sixes and even more to the point, straight eight engines must be some of the smoothest ICE‘s ever made.

Toyota 5sfe, boring, slow but they are the most reliable. We still own one.

Volvo red blocks #2.

C’mon man ! Wut motor the site darling Crown Vic had ? … 250k was a snack …
For an 8? Yes, the 2V Modular is extremely long-lived and for personal examples, probably the highest mileage engine I've seen at 1.2 million Km in a Town Car (my buddy was looking at it, it was for sale). They did suffer from launching plugs and timing chain guide failures however, which is why I mentioned the 300 I6 instead, since they just "worked", and hence made their way into numerous industrial applications.

Back