What was/is the most reliable IC engine of all time?

The 1986 Toyota Diesel pickup was probably the most reliable (more so than 22r even)

Very rare now days but most folks drove them until they rotted out which in this area is way too fast.
the 2LT engines are not held in high regard in any toyota community and are known as very short lived and underpowered engines

Last edited:
the 2LT engines are not held in high regard in any toyota community and are known as very short lived and underpowered engines

No idea what a 2lt is but my neighbor owned a non turbo Toyota diesel 300,000 miles through rust out. Not much of the body was left

several folks I know from other forums hav high miles on similar trucks

No idea what a 2lt is but my neighbor owned a non turbo Toyota diesel 300,000 miles through rust out. Not much of the body was left

several folks I know from other forums hav high miles on similar trucks
that was a 1984 or earlier. pretty much extinct

the most common ones are turbocharged and not known for durability

Inline 6-cyl engines are underappreciated. They are the smoothest, most naturally balanced, vibration-free engines that can be built. The only engine smoother is the V-12, which is two inline 6 engines put together.
what about the y-18, or the x-24?

Ford 300, GM 250, slant six, 4.0 Jeep, 305 Chevy, 350 Olds V8, 3800 GM, Toyota 4.0, gm ls motor and many others.

The first 2L, with rockers (the Top Gear one) is very reliable, but when the 2L, 3L and 5L went to buckets it was not so good. You need a cylinder head in your back pocket to run one of these...and don't ever let the cambelt break !

The first 2L, with rockers (the Top Gear one) is very reliable, but when the 2L, 3L and 5L went to buckets it was not so good. You need a cylinder head in your back pocket to run one of these...and don't ever let the cambelt break !
i didn’t know the later NA ones were also problematic. the early rocker head turbo 2L(T) found in the american pickup
is known for cracking heads and dropping valve seats.

the japanese import 2LTE cruisers have an even worse reputation. 99% of them have factory replacement heads

ford 7.3, judging from the resale value. fricking 20 grand for a 25 year old truck!

I know several southern “moving company guys” that did minor repairs and own the old 6.9 granny gear 1 ton diesels

With minor repairs/upgrades these are good HD rigs, one guy has his 400000+ Towing miles moving furniture in one.

He went for the 6.9 because it was cheap

I know several southern “moving company guys” that did minor repairs and own the old 6.9 granny gear 1 ton diesels

With minor repairs/upgrades these are good HD rigs, one guy has his 400000+ Towing miles moving furniture in one.

He went for the 6.9 because it was cheap
i kind of want an IDI just so i can be a total prepper and make biodiesel out of wolf puppies or whatever they use.

i didn’t know the later NA ones were also problematic. the early rocker head turbo 2L(T) found in the american pickup
is known for cracking heads and dropping valve seats.

the japanese import 2LTE cruisers have an even worse reputation. 99% of them have factory replacement heads
Yes, the 2LT dropped valve seats, but all the L engines crack heads if overheated. We don't even check, we just fit a new head...they are cheaper than testing and repair.

Ford 300 and 240 I6, Mopar Slant 6, Lower compression Mopar LB and RB "big blocks", Some of the GM 3.8 and 3800's, Nissan KA24DE and SR20DE, Toyota 22RE.

Back