What was/is the most reliable IC engine of all time?

2JZ? GM LS? Ford EcoBoost?

You tell me.

EDIT: Also, it would be interesting to share if there was anything about them that made them inherently more reliable than engines today.

Last edited:
Volvo B21

1629990707351.jpg

Volvo I4 Red Blocks B21 and B23's.

I6's various manufactures Chrysler, Ford, GM, Volvo 1995 and up White Blocks, BMW and Mercedes.

Best U.S. Inline 6's GM 250ci, Ford 300ci, Chrysler 170, 190, 225 AMC Jeep 4.0 liter.

You will never appreciate the Inline 6 until you own one.

Detroit 60 Series, International DT466, Isuzu 4LE and Cummins B Series

I know someone with over 80,000 hours on the 4LE in a prime power application!

We have lots of experience with the Cummins 5.9 and 6.7 ISBs. The pre common rail ISBs run forever. The common rail engines with much higher specific power don't last as long, but also run for a long time.

I also posted this here in another thread.

"John Deere 6.6L inline 6 cylinder naturally aspirated diesel. Very heavy duty and ran forever. They are the most bullet proof engine I've ever operated."

Inline 6-cyl engines are underappreciated. They are the smoothest, most naturally balanced, vibration-free engines that can be built. The only engine smoother is the V-12, which is two inline 6 engines put together.
Except the 80's 4.2 L AMC inline six.
Had one on my new "81" Eagle SX4
A rough and brash agricultural turd..

Any speed over 55 mph brought on droning and vibration. Not a interstate cruiser at all. 😂

Anything with a turbo

....my mistake, I thought you were asking for the least reliable engines of all time

Aren't almost all tractors turbo diesels? Don't some of them go for a million miles? I don't know if turbos are least reliable just for being turbos.

Back