What type of yard fence is most cost effective?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to put up a fence in my yard to protect my standby generator and two 100-gallon tanks from vandals. There are so many different kinds of fences. I know there is no fence that is vandal proof. I am thinking of a 6-foot tall chain link fence to act as a deterrence, but not sure if this is most cost effective. I haven't call any installers for estimate yet, but want to hear your opinions first. I hope I do not have to get my HOA's approval again.

Last edited:
An HOA will most likely prevent any serious ability to install the type of fence that is needed. Chain-link (6 ft.) with razor wire along the top would be my choice.
Ever consider faux security cameras placed very visibly near the unit? They make ones now that look incredibly real and even have a flashing red light that makes it look active. Not expensive either. But alas...the HOA may take issue with that as well.

Last edited:
Bolt cutters can easily deal with almost any fence. But 6' chain link should protect against vandals messing with generator and/or stealing gas. Barb wire on top of the chain link?

Locking gas caps on the gas? I would sink a large pile of concrete with an eye bolt in it and chain the generator to it.

The gas tanks when full will be over 800lbs if gasoline. Maybe they are propane?

I forgot to mention that the dual 100-gallon tanks are filled with LP. Is Barb wire on top of fence a real option from any installers? I was thinking of that, too.

Last edited:
Chain link is generally the most cost effective. However...

If you're under an HOA then many in my area will not allow a chain link fence, much less one with barbed wire on top. Some don't allow fences at all, some will if they are decorative aluminum or steel.

Israeli razor wire is hard to beat when it comes to keeping people out. Tell your HOA that is what you want to install and see what they say
smile.gif

You can bury propane tanks. How about a moat? What about an enclosure around it? Kids play fort?

Are you trying to keep people out when its running or not running? Chain link will still allow people to see the generator. When its running, it will be heard regardless of fence, etc.

If you have read my other thread on the safety of an underground LP tank, I have no choice but taking the above ground tank option to bypass HOA's approval in order to install a standby generator. My kids are all grown up and they actually never play in the yard due to its small size. I thought about an enclosure around the generator, but I have to leave some space inside the enclosure for propane guy to refill the tanks and the installer to maintain the generator. Will such a enclosure still need HOA's approval? I try to keep people out from messing the wires and propane tubes whether the generator is running or not. If I kept people from seeing the generator when it was running, people would be more curious of the source of noise. With an enclosure I will have to deal with removing deep snow to outside.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
How about an Electrified fence? LOL

What happens to the electric fence when the power goes out? LMAO.

Regards, JC.

Concertina wire
smile.gif

Keeps what needs to be in, in. As well as keeps what needs to stay out, out.

Also, prepares you for any red dawn/zombie land esque happenings in the future
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Where I live you can buy 8 ft sections of wood fencing for about $40. Its six feet tall and noone can see in. Check your lowes or homedepot.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
How about an Electrified fence? LOL

What happens to the electric fence when the power goes out? LMAO.

Regards, JC.

He's going to have to install another generator to run that fence and a series of ever-smaller enclosures and generators, like russian dolls, until finally he ends with a tazer and trained monkey.
wink.gif

Is your neighborhood that bad that you need a razor wire fence? If it were me, I would go one of two ways.

Four panels of stockade fence and an access gate with a lock, (everything out of sight, out of mind).

Chain link and plant some thorny bushes around the fence, (bougainvillea has some wicked "hooked" thorns - but the flowers are beautiful). Let the plants grow up around the fence and train them to create a natural barrier - probably would be more acceptable to HOA.

On the 2013 New Year Day around 2 AM someone took a BB gun and shot at my storm door as a New Year resolution while I was surfing the Internet. It cost me $200+ to replace the glass panel. I called the police, who later arrived and filed a report. Few months later someone jumped on my car roof and made a big dent on a Saturday night. I filed another police report, but nothing happened on the police end on either cases. What can they do anyway just because someone does not like to see an Asian face living in their expensive white neighborhood (I lives in a low income townhouse complex built next to a rich neighborhood). There were other numerous vandals in my yard often during nights on weekends that are too many to mention. Someday I will install security camera system and catch those bad guys on video and deal with them afterwards.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Is your neighborhood that bad that you need a razor wire fence? If it were me, I would go one of two ways.

Four panels of stockade fence and an access gate with a lock, (everything out of sight, out of mind).

Chain link and plant some thorny bushes around the fence, (bougainvillea has some wicked "hooked" thorns - but the flowers are beautiful). Let the plants grow up around the fence and train them to create a natural barrier - probably would be more acceptable to HOA.

I really like the idea of planting thorny flowers or bushes behind the chain link/wood fence which is more acceptable then a barb wire on top of a fense.

Chain link is the cheapest, we have 6ft chain link with barbed and razor wire at work. The only person that I have seen cross it was absolutely cut to pieces, I mean bad. He had already been shot and was running from the shooter. The wounds from the wire were worse than the gunshots, I thought he would bleed to death before help got there.

How big an area are you talking about?

How about chain link (cyclone?) fence with a chain link roof over the enclosure? Maybe wood slats in the vertical walls to hide the generator and tanks (also prevents climbing).

I'd be real reluctant to use barbed or razor wire. That could open yourself up to lawsuits even if criminal elements were to get sliced to bits.

Originally Posted By: sifan
On the 2013 New Year Day around 2 AM someone took a BB gun and shot at my storm door as a New Year resolution while I was surfing the Internet. It cost me $200+ to replace the glass panel. I called the police, who later arrived and filed a report. Few months later someone jumped on my car roof and made a big dent on a Saturday night. I filed another police report, but nothing happened on the police end on either cases. What can they do anyway just because someone does not like to see an Asian face living in their expensive white neighborhood (I lives in a low income townhouse complex built next to a rich neighborhood). There were other numerous vandals in my yard often during nights on weekends that are too many to mention. Someday I will install security camera system and catch those bad guys on video and deal with them afterwards.

Jeez! I presume the HOA won't let you fence in your whole yard because it'll make the neighborhood look full of crime. (which it seems to be.)

Yet you want to put in a fancy generator instead of moving? Guess the good outweighs the bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back