What type of TPMS on my '17 Corolla?

Is it indirect based on the diameter of the tire, or is there a sensor behind the valve stem. There is no actual pressure reading on the dash, just a low pressure light. I have to change a tire and want to know if I have to be careful or not in the stem area.

OK I checked Rock Auto and they show actual sensors for this car. Odd that Toyota wouldn't have a display for the actual pressure of each tire like many other cars do.

Rock Auto lists TPMS for my CR-V which is incorrect, it's an indirect system w/o a dash readout, so don't go according to RA.

Is it indirect based on the diameter of the tire, or is there a sensor behind the valve stem. There is no actual pressure reading on the dash, just a low pressure light. I have to change a tire and want to know if I have to be careful or not in the stem area.
I always change tires assuming a sensor is present.

My machine says the regular Corolla uses the standard Toyota sensors, P/N 42607-06020. With regard to your vehicle having only a light and not a display to identify which tire is low - many vehicles aren't sophisticated enough to identify which tire is low. The vehicle will send a signal to the receiver and it identifies with the serialized sensor but it won't tell you on the display which one is bad. The good part with this system is that you don't have to do a relearn every time you rotate the tires. The serial numbers will be mismatched to the body control module but it makes no difference to the driver. If a tire is low then the light comes on. It is up to the driver to figure out which one it is.

I remember my late '00s Pontiac and Chevy told you which tire was low and you could check the pressure of each tire from the dash.

087.jpg

Seems like just some programming to get that to happen. Seems cheap of Toyota not to do that.

Toyota's implementation is somewhat basic-- I find it annoying to need a bidirectional scan tool to program new sensors. However like said above you can rotate tires and not have issues.

If you bust a sensor get a "Pacific" brand from ebay, under 20 bucks and they're the OE to Denso.

Back