What type of oil does the military use in it's vehicles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume they use a bunch of different ones, based on vehicle types, climates, etc.

Does anybody know for sure? I've always been curious.

.__o-o-o-o
[l_,[_____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)---)_)

[ February 04, 2005, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: wavinwayne ]

Most of the Army's tactical and combat vehicles call for MIL-PRF-2104. It's basically HDEO with a few extra requirements on it, but nothing exotic.

Less expensive vehicles usually use a different spec that I can't remember. It's pretty much regular old engine oil.

The also have special Arctic spec oils for cold weather.

Most Army tactical and combat cooling system specs require them to cool a sustained near full throttle at very low speed in about 120-125F temperatures, so they don't have any special hot weather oils. The specs I've seen usually require the cooling system keep oil temps under about 255F under the same severe conditions.

They have some impressive cooling systems when they're maintained right.

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
I assume they use a bunch of different ones, based on vehicle types, climates, etc.

Does anybody know for sure? I've always been curious.

.__o-o-o-o
[l_,[_____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)---)_)

quote:

Originally posted by Pick:
Iraqi Oil.

rolleyes.gif

an example of what XS650 is explaining is safety-kleen recycled 15w-40 oil. It was used in all of the fleet vehicles at the base I used to be stationed at.
If the vehicle has a turbine engine then it will get specific turbine engine oil.

A while back they were using recycle oil made by Quacker State. It would sludge up quicker and knew the Army mechanic cause he had to overhaul a lot of the vehicles. It's by contract, whoever has the lowest bid with the required specs set by the Army....etc

I have heard it rumored that the M-1 Battle Tank runs Mobil Turbine oil due to the Gas Turbine Engine. One active duty poster in the Navy said Texaco Ursa was being used in some of their engines. I have also heard that federal government employees vehicles have to use oil that is at least 25% post consumer type oil added to it - recycled. I have no faith in recycled oil. I have seen how the TBN is down to nothing in 6,000 miles from personal use in my work dumptruck.

Mamala: Hate to disagree with you, but Quaker State does not produce any recycled oil.

Rob: I have heard the same thing about Mobil Turbine Oils and the old Texaco Ursa.

I sure hope the trucks in the desert don't have recycled oil in them.
patriot.gif

Sorry Johnny that was a while back. It was recycled oil as the mechanic mentioned. You would know more on Quacker State.

Yeah I'm in the Navy, but our ship is a taxi for the marines.. I've seen Shell oils around, Texaco Ursa, etc.. alot of them.. Chevron, Citgo Oil.. I"ve seeen alot..I went through the MSDS book and they had all different kind of brand of Oils.

For many years, both the Army and Marine Corps vehicles and equipment used only MIL-PRF-2104 (it used to be MIL-L-2104) in the engine, transmission, some hydraulic systems,and in some cases manual transmissions. In effect, this oil was and is a multifunctional engine/transmsission oil. That was used everywhere except in the cold regions like Alaska and other cold regions where they reverted to their Arctic Engine Oil, MIL-PRF-46167. When vehicles are placed in temporary storage or prepositioning, they use an oil that is both a preservative as well as an operational oil and that is MIL-PRF-21260. A few years ago, there were two additional semicommercial specifications developed called Commercial Item Descriptions and these cover the engine oils for the administrative vehicles, but all tactical items are required to use the military specification products. All the gas turbine items (namely the Abrams tanks and some power generation items) use a polyol ester that is defined by MIL-PRF-23699 which is the oil that the Navy uses in their aircraft.

All these military specifications have qualification product listings which lists each company's approved product that has successfully passed all the engine and other associated testing. Once qualified, the formulation in fixed so the supplier can't do a quick switch. When solicitations are sent out for companies to bid on, only products that have been approved can be considered. But the one catch (as with all government procurement) is that the contracts are awarded on the lowest bidder. Therein lies the problem.

Several of the above military specifications allow the use of re-refined basestocks. But, all the same performance requirements have to be met regardless of the type of basestocks that are used. Those products that are approved regardless of what basestocks are used have to meet all the minimium requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back