What type of fluid for extreme cold weather

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All-

I am a Texas transplant to Fairbanks AK, and am trying to get ready for the upcoming -60 F winter. I have an 04 Chevy Duramax and my wife has a 10 Suburban.

I was planning on replacing all diff's with either Mobil 1 75/90 or Amsoil Severe 75/90, and thoughts?

For tran's I run Transynd in the DMAX and was going to run what ever DEXRON VI. I have only seen Valvoline at the local Napa. Any other options/recomendations?

For the transfer case I plan on running the same as both transmissions', unless...

For the engine, I was able to score 15 gallons of RTS (blue jug) for $11 that I plan to run in the DMAX unless others recommend against. For the wife's burb, I'm up for anything. But believe that I need synthetic due to extreme cold. But am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Heaters are critical:
Block heater
(magnetic?) oil pan heater
battery blanket
The BEST thing is a heated garage.
John Deere makes an excellent 0W40 HDEO
http://www.deere.com/en_US/parts/partsinfo/oils_and_lubricants/oil_0w40.html
but it is only CH4 rated
There is a Delvac 1 ESP 0W40
http://www.imperialoil.ca/Canada-English/Files/Products_Lubes/IOCAENCVLMOMobil_Delvac_1_ESP_0W40.pdf
only available in Canada. It is CJ4 rated but carries a TBN of only 7.7 so it would be for shortish OCIs.
There are many excellent 5W40 HDEOs if you will have plug-ins available at work.
Incidentally, it's not that cold all winter.
Right now it is +80F.

Charlie

I spent 5 years in FAI :D I'd move back if I could.

Is your truck already prepped for winter? (oil pan heater, battery heater, block heater).

You might wanna look into some 0w30 or 0w40 from PetroCanada or Esso if you plan on parking outside unplugged.

CJ-4Oils.png

/EDIT: Charlie lists some good oils too!

Make sure Dex VI is approved for your Allison. I would make sure to use a synthetic ATF in whatever flavor is right for the trans.

Also consider a synthetic power steering fluid for those winter temps.

The Alison has and will continue to use Transynd. the Dex VI option is for the wife's Burb.

Bob- What I might do is to get the Esso 0W40 and run that in the winter, and switch to RTS in the summer. Thoughts...

I plan on winterizing both vehicles, but should I worry much about the diff's? Those are the two that don't prewarmed like the motor or trans.

Kevin

Originally Posted By: KevinsDMAX
The Alison has and will continue to use Transynd. the Dex VI option is for the wife's Burb.

Bob- What I might do is to get the Esso 0W40 and run that in the winter, and switch to RTS in the summer. Thoughts...

I plan on winterizing both vehicles, but should I worry much about the diff's? Those are the two that don't prewarmed like the motor or trans.

Kevin

0w40 in the non-summer and 5w40 in the summer sound fine. You could run 0w40 year-round if you wanted to (I dunno how much the Esso will cost though). This might prevent an unnecessary oil change as winter approaches.

Again, whether or not they are kept in a heated garage is a critical difference.
For the diffs I'd use a synthetic 75W90 with a pour point of -45C. or lower and drive real slow and unaggressively for the first few miles if cold-soaked. When it's colder than -25F.
http://www.mobil.com/usa-english/lubes/p...-90_80w-140.asp
They make this in a limited slip form also. The 75W90 has a pour point of -54F.

Charlie

Very good advice given by the others. I used a block heater, oil pan heater, battery blanket on every vehicle. Even a light duty oil pan heater on the diesel fuel tank is not a bad idea. Synthetics, now that they are readily available everywhere is the way to go. With the oil pan heater, even a 5w40 full synthetic would work fine, but a 0w40 would give you a little more peace of mind. I would agree that 75w90 synthetic for diffs would be the way to go. Wolverine heaters also makes a real nice oil filter heater pad that velcros on around the fuel filter. That can be wired in to the 12v and will help keep a filter from clogging from ice or gelled fuel.

When you get the chance, go see Alaska Tent and Tarp there in Fairbanks and have them put on a winter front for you. They make the best snap on winter fronts I have ever seen. Get the summer screen also that will snap on in place of the winter front. Alaska is well known for the insect population.

I am not sure how much you will get out away from Fairbanks, but if you do, it is advisable you keep some things like heater hose, extra fluids, tools, belts, etc on board all the time for emergencies. A healthy dose of prepardness and common sense goes a long way. If you never have a problem on the road up there, count yourself lucky.

I lived in Fairbanks and Delta Junction for 10 years and loved it. Family issues caused me to move back to the lower 48, else I would have stayed there. Some of the best years of my life were in Alaska.

For what its worth the Esso XD3 is a known PAO, Petro Can stuff is grp III+. They are both very good oils and perform extremely well in the winter. The XD3 would be an oil more apt to handle longer OCI's. You should be able to get both oils in Alaska, especially the Esso as it is owned by XOM.

I WILL have a oil heater, and will either plug in or park in the garage. But what I was worried about most of all was the differentials, but looks like I could go with 75/90 Mobil 1 or Amsoil and should be good to go.

As an alternative to the battery blanket idea, I would suggest a permanent mount automatic charger. When you plug in the block heater and/or oil pan heater, you plug in the charger. The one I have is the Solar brand name, and just has an L-frame that fits under the battery, and the charger then sits beside the battery (in front of it in my case). They will not overcharge the battery. When the battery gets cold, voltage drops. The charger kicks in, adding a charge and warming the battery at the same time. It'll turn over like summer time.

The benefit to this is that it won't overheat your battery like leaving a battery blanket on over summer might do. Using the little charger, my battery in my F-150 lasted ten years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back