What to use.....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading some of the Dex-cool stories, got me thinking.

I have a '08 Vette with the 7.0L engine. Is it advisable to change to G-05 or a Peak without the 2eha or stay with the factory recommendation? Not worried about warranty issues at this time.

Thanks, SR

As long as you monitor your cooling system for any sign of impending problems (which you should do anyway regardless of Dexcool), you will be fine leaving the Dexcool in. The two issues which can cause problems with Dexcool, which are radiator caps and plastic-framed gaskets, I dont think apply in your case.

My Sierra will be going off warranty soon and I have no plans on switching to another coolant.

The Dexcool- haters will be chiming in soon saying you should switch to either G-05 or Peak Global.

Depends on whether or not you want to risk a case of DexSludge.

There are significant risks to Dexcool. The stuff turns to sludge under less than ideal conditions, and it's proven to eat gaskets. And there are no benefits to the stuff vs. G05.

I'm not sure why you WOULD use Dexcool. Except that it's more readily available.

Originally Posted By: George7941

The Dexcool- haters will be chiming in soon saying you should switch to either G-05 or Peak Global.

As you were saying!
LOL.gif

Personally I kept the Dexcool in my Chevy Trailblazer with the I6 for just under 5 years and the whole system looked great. No sludge, no leaks, no bad gaskets.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...465#Post1447465

Last edited:
And therefore the thousands and thousands of cases of nasty, engine-ruining DexSludge are the products of our collective imagination.

Tell you what- if ya'll REALLY want know what kind of product Dexcool is, take a trip down to your local used car lot. Take the radiator cap off 10 GM vehicles with over 90k miles. I know from experience that you'll find AT LEAST three cases of Dexsludge.

Onion, I don't entirely disagree with you. I am sure there are many instances of Dex-sludge.

My point is that as long as the cooling system is well-maintained, Dexcool seems to work very well. A Bitoger with a 08 Corvette, coupled with the fact that he cares enough to enquire about it, is unlikely to neglect his cooling system. And, hopefully, GM has finally fixed their leaky intake manifold gaskets.

I personally wouldn't prefer to trust my cooling system to "seems" and "hopefully". It's a simple fact that Dexcool routinely turns to sludge. It's also a fact that G05 works just as well (or arguably much better, depending on how you define "works") and rarely if EVER turns to sludge of any sort.

So exactly what advantage is conferred by the use of Dexcool?

So I assume that G-05 would interact fine with the aluminum, provide adequate silicates, blah, blah, blah for the GM 427 with no adverse effects?

SR

I will tell you why I have stayed with Dexcool. I have used it for over a decade without the slightest trace of Dex-sludge. Cooling system problems, like water pump seal failure, have been minimal over this time. Next point is subjective, I don't see the 'sparkling' cleanliness with G-05 that I see with Dexcool. Maybe it is the orange colour that makes the bare metal sparkle. I am using G-05 in one truck only, so I don't have extensive experience with it.

Sludge doesn't appear overnight. If I ever see the slightest trace of sludge in my Sierra, I will definitely investigate it and then switch over to G-05 or Peak Global Lifetime, if necessary. It is not as if we are soccer moms who never check on the coolant systems in their vehicles. I am a conservative kind of guy, Dexcool has served me very well, so I will stay with the person "who brung me to the dance"

All this said, I will only use Dexcool in vehicles that had it as factory fill. G-05 or Peak Global (and Detroit Diesel Powercool Plus for HD trucks) are my choices when I convert over from another coolant.

Originally Posted By: onion
Whatever floats your boat. Seems like a pretty significant risk with zero reward to me.

"Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is made up"
crackmeup2.gif

I've yet to see any "facts" supporting the use of Dexcool. It's a FACT that the stuff turns to sludge ROUTINELY. It's a fact that G05 doesn't (I'm sure that with enough neglect and abuse, it's possible. But I've yet to see a single case of G05 sludge. Never heard of one either.).

It's also a FACT that lots of people run dexcool and have had no problems, and based on their experience with ONE OR TWO VEHICLES, they see no reason to change. Of course, those of us who have experience with HUNDREDS of vehicles know better.

I'm telling you- go down to the local used car lot. Check 10 GM vehicles with 90k+ miles. In my experience, you'll find AT LEAST three cases of DexSludge within that sample.

Now do the same with Ford, Mopar, or Mercedes vehicles that came with G05. Please post any pictures that you find of G05 sludge. You won't find any.

Onion, as I have stated before, I agree with a lot of what you are saying. You have experience with hundreds of Dexcool-equipped cars, but you were not the person maintaining the cooling system in those cars, so you cannot vouch for the cooling systems having been properly maintained. It is my contention that the causes for Dex-sludge are well-known by now and if those causes are avoided then there is no risk of Dex-sludge.

Tell me what risk of a sludged system do I have when you consider the following facts

1) Sludging occurs in neglected cooling systems. I always maintain the cooling system well and WILL not be neglecting it.

2) My Sierra has a transparent surge tank and I glance at it every time I open the hood. I will see the slighest trace of sludge as soon as it occurs. If that happens I can take action then.

3) The Sierra engine does not have the two well known causes of Dexcool problems -- plastic framed intake gaskets and leaky rad caps.

Since Dexcool has worked well for me and I am not running any risk with my maintenance of the cooling system, I simply do not see any reason to change.

Originally Posted By: onion
I've yet to see any "facts" supporting the use of Dexcool. It's a FACT that the stuff turns to sludge ROUTINELY. It's a fact that G05 doesn't (I'm sure that with enough neglect and abuse, it's possible. But I've yet to see a single case of G05 sludge. Never heard of one either.).

It's also a FACT that lots of people run dexcool and have had no problems, and based on their experience with ONE OR TWO VEHICLES, they see no reason to change. Of course, those of us who have experience with HUNDREDS of vehicles know better.

I'm telling you- go down to the local used car lot. Check 10 GM vehicles with 90k+ miles. In my experience, you'll find AT LEAST three cases of DexSludge within that sample.

Now do the same with Ford, Mopar, or Mercedes vehicles that came with G05. Please post any pictures that you find of G05 sludge. You won't find any.

You know - you keep repeating the same old tired stuff (another word comes to mind here). I'm not going to rehash all of it. Been there done that.

I've stated over and over that my experience is more than "ONE OR TWO VEHICLES" If my almost 60 years of driving, I've seen more than a couple of vehicles, and after working in the automotive industry for a couple of those decades I think I know what is happening.

GM had a lot of problems - YES that's true. But to blame it all on Dexcool is at the very least near sighted, probably more like ignorant and extremely opinionated!
You seem to think that anyone that doesn't agree with you doesn't know what they are talking about.

There is soooo much misinformation and prejudice about certain things on the internet - it's sad that people mindlessly spout it over and over!

If Dexcool is so great-then why doesn't EVERY manufacturer use it?? The only OEM who uses anything close is Caterpillar, NOBODY else uses it, the ones who did (such as Ford) RAN away from it!! Can't wait for the "60 years" evidence of Dexcool effects!

Oldmaninsc, to be fair, I think Onion was referring to me when he mentioned ONE or TWO vehicles. And, it is true. I have only used Dexcool in two vehicles.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
If Dexcool is so great-then why doesn't EVERY manufacturer use it?? The only OEM who uses anything close is Caterpillar, NOBODY else uses it, the ones who did (such as Ford) RAN away from it!! Can't wait for the "60 years" evidence of Dexcool effects!

When we refer to Dexcool we are really referring to OAT 2eha based coolants, since it is the use of 2eha that is the source of all this controversy. It is the reason why Peak Global is often cited as a replacement for Dexcool since PG is OAT and non- 2eha. That being the case, let us consider the above mentioned Cat ELC. It is a OAT 2eha based coolant and when the engineering department of the world's largest earth-moving machinery manufacturer chooses a 2eha coolant, it surely counts for something. Rotella ELC ,Delo ELC etc are also 2eha based.

I have a question for you, Onion. At the Detroit Diesel shop where you work you must run into some Cat engines on trucks that come in. Do you see their cooling systems sludged up? If not, then could it be due to the fact that expensive heavy trucks see more maintenance than cars in general and sludge forms in neglected cooling systems?

I'll throw your question right back to you! If G-05 is so great, why doesn't EVERYONE use it?

Originally Posted By: George7941
As long as you monitor your cooling system for any sign of impending problems

And how many people will do that?? zero,noda,nobody then there come the problems,G-05 works.

switched all my cars/truck and even my snomobiles over to G-05,set it and forget it with G-05.

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc

I'll throw your question right back to you! If G-05 is so great, why doesn't EVERYONE use it?

Because most people don't know how good it is and use DEXsluge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back