what to look for

Status
Not open for further replies.
what do you look for in a quality "cartridge" style oil filter. there is not very much to any of them.

i need to get a couple for the 2010 camry and 2007 mazda that will be good for 8-10k oci's.

i think i have standard fram's in them now.

thanks.

I look for sturdy top and bottom ends that hold the filtering media in place, but honestly, all the cartridge filters I've used on my 530i (Mann, Mahle, Knecht) have been very solid. I have yet to see a flimsy design.

By the way, if I remember correctly, the Fram cartridge filter is actually made by somebody else and is of much higher quality than the canister Fram filters that everyone complains about.

Last edited:
Honestly, there is nothing to look for.
For you to know, you'll need some particle counts and flow rates.

Since I've had both, I'd say buy the OE filters online in 6-packs. The Toyota and Mazda filters are excellent.

I've had some cartridge filters crush/shrink/collapse. Try the 4-5 major brands, collect the used cartridges, and compare those brands after use.

If you don't care for OE, then you can use any brand. Just make sure they come with the gaskets that are needed for your application.

My only issue with the Fram, Purolator, Wix cartridge.... filters were that I could get the dealer filter cheaper. The whole point of me shopping at AutoAdvancePepZoneBoysAutoNapa was to save money. You would think that the cartridge would be cheaper because there was no metal?

I had 1 Fram cartridge filter in my E430, the quality is sub-par compares with Mann, Mahle, Hengst, Bosch ... It didn't fit on the filter holder as tight as others and the filter media is very thin and flimsy.

I'm not using Fram cartridge filter in my E430 even if its cost is less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back