Comparing Champ filters to AC Delco (hint, theyre the same)

I have been using the Champ XL filters for a couple of years now and noticed they share some of the same features that some AC fliters do, not all but enough to notice. Understanding that they are both made by Champion labs it was not surprising.
In the past I compared a cartridge filter for my 2014 Cruze from AC to the Champ unit I bought and they could not have been more similar.
I decided I wanted to see is if the standard Champ filter 10063 matched up to the standard AC PF63. I didnt really need more for my stash but for $2.03 I thought it would be fun. The pictures speak for themselves. Crazy that Rockauto sells the Champ for $2.03 when its the same filter as a PF63 that I bought at my local Chevy dealer for around $7. Notice that the color coding on the gasket is even the same. The pics of the core appear the same even though the shading in the picture seems different. Bad lighting and a camera phone are to blame.
I was going to cut them open but it seems so obvious that I couldnt bring myself to sacrifice them.
See for yourself

20240520_153556.jpg

20240520_153506.jpg

20240520_153455.jpg

20240520_153442.jpg

20240520_153431.jpg

Champ for the win and under $3 on RA
Ha ha, I was going to say the same thing "Champ for the Win" You beat me to it! 😆
I have been using the Champ XL filters for a couple of years now and noticed they share some of the same features that some AC fliters do, not all but enough to notice. Understanding that they are both made by Champion labs it was not surprising.
In the past I compared a cartridge filter for my 2014 Cruze from AC to the Champ unit I bought and they could not have been more similar.
I decided I wanted to see is if the standard Champ filter 10063 matched up to the standard AC PF63. I didnt really need more for my stash but for $2.03 I thought it would be fun. The pictures speak for themselves. Crazy that Rockauto sells the Champ for $2.03 when its the same filter as a PF63 that I bought at my local Chevy dealer for around $7. Notice that the color coding on the gasket is even the same. The pics of the core appear the same even though the shading in the picture seems different. Bad lighting and a camera phone are to blame.
I was going to cut them open but it seems so obvious that I couldnt bring myself to sacrifice them.
See for yourself

View attachment 220329

View attachment 220330

View attachment 220331

View attachment 220332

View attachment 220333
I think someone is going to choose the $2 Champ now & skip the Delco Blue. Blue coat of paint not worth $5 premium. Good work & thanks for sharing what you found on this model.

interestingly my Cadillac (3.6TT) uses the ACD PF63 but RockAuto.Com does not show the Champ/Luber-Finer 10063 to be the right filter but shows the Champ/Luber-Finer PH1500 to be the regular Champ choice to use...

On RockAuto.Com the ACD PF63 filter is actually .17 cents less than the listed Champ PH1500 filter

I wonder if my twin turbo engine accounts for the difference in oil filter choice...(bypass valve or...?)

Bill

interestingly my Cadillac (3.6TT) uses the ACD PF63 but RockAuto.Com does not show the Champ/Luber-Finer 10063 to be the right filter but shows the Champ/Luber-Finer PH1500 to be the regular Champ choice to use...

On RockAuto.Com the ACD PF63 filter is actually .17 cents less than the listed Champ PH1500 filter

I wonder if my twin turbo engine accounts for the difference in oil filter choice...(bypass valve or...?)

Bill
I have found that some vehicles that came with the PF63 dont necessarily show it as the replacement filter. I believe the UPF63R was designed with a stronger case for certain applications. I believe there is a bulleting on it related to the 3.6L
The PF63 covers a wide range of engines and years, all of the 5.3L trucks I have had used it as well as both of my 6.6L gas in the HD's

Champ for the win and under $3 on RA
I paid $2.03 for this one and with shipping on 7 filters, tax and the 5% discount it came in at around $2.95 My local Walmart wants over $9 for the AC. The Chevy dealer is actually cheaper for most AC filters.
Since I am retired I have time to spend on things like this. It wont save me a ton of money but its a moral victory if nothing else :cool:

Over the weekend at Rural King, saw that Prime Guard was selling the Champ manufactured AC Delco PF46 as a Prime Guard POF4006... with the same familiar blue paint on it.

I checked the POF2222 (for newer 5.3's), but it was still the familiar black painted "Leak Tested" made in China filter that I expected to see.

One thing I'd need to confirm before saying the same. Do both use metal endcaps? ACDelco ecore has been using those for a while. Can't say that's also been true for Champ label. Also, topic looks to have dome bypass. ACDelco filters never used a combo valve, always separate dome bypass. Iirc, in the past some equivalent Champ label, used a combo valve. That said, seems Champ Labs has moved more ecore filters to the preferable separate bypass.

I have found that some vehicles that came with the PF63 dont necessarily show it as the replacement filter. I believe the UPF63R was designed with a stronger case for certain applications. I believe there is a bulleting on it related to the 3.6L
The PF63 covers a wide range of engines and years, all of the 5.3L trucks I have had used it as well as both of my 6.6L gas in the HD's
I saw that bulletin...I was even advised by 2 Cadillac dealerships as well as the Buick/GMC dealership I got my V-Sport at to use the UPF-63 filter...interestingly to me at least is that on the bulletin the twin turbo 3.6 was left off the list of GM recommendations for using the UPF-63 filter over the PF-63 filter in that recommendation in their Technical Service Bulletin/TSB...

I have checked with several ATS-V owners, some who track or autocross their vehicle (slightly higher performance version of the LF3/3.6TT engine) and they all recommend using either the regular PF-63 or something else and none recommended the UPF-63...

Bill

Last edited:
One thing I'd need to confirm before saying the same. Do both use metal endcaps? ACDelco ecore has been using those for a while. Can't say that's also been true for Champ label. Also, topic looks to have dome bypass. ACDelco filters never used a combo valve, always separate dome bypass. Iirc, in the past some equivalent Champ label, used a combo valve. That said, seems Champ Labs has moved more ecore filters to the preferable separate bypass.
I have a pretty good stash of these filters but I couldnt bring myself to sacrifice 2 filters to find out. I wasnt raised that way ;)

I have a pretty good stash of these filters but I couldnt bring myself to sacrifice 2 filters to find out.....
I get it, I'm the same. Just mentioning that 'for me' to definitely state they are "the same", seeing the end caps would be more conclusive. In the past Champ Labs made use of polyester end caps rather than metal. Even some ACDelco ecores for GM vehicles used polyester caps.

I get it, I'm the same. Just mentioning that 'for me' to definitely state they are "the same", seeing the end caps would be more conclusive. In the past Champ Labs made use of polyester end caps rather than metal. Even some ACDelco ecores for GM vehicles used polyester caps.
If youre patient I will likely post the filters AFTER use, may take a while though

Back