What To Fill These Cracks WIth?

I have a brick side walk that is about 28 years old. The joint mortar is starting to come out here and there. What do I use to fill these "holes"?

Is there some kind of caulking I could use? Do I need to mix up a concoction?

In general a brick paver sidewalk uses fine sand that is brushed into the joints. Then it’s compacted into place with a vibrating compactor.

Caulking is not suitable here. I would check closely to see what was used before.

I would try this product:
I actually used that on a house I was selling.. The home inspectors that came agreed with me that it was awesome! Excellent results, it's an acrylic based caulk that is tinted so that as it ages (a day to a week) it turns to the normal mortar color. Quikrete (to me) is a company that makes excellent products. So.. go ahead and try and find a contractor lately that calls you back! Instead of wait to pay a lot.. This is a much quicker and easier fix.. It hardened and looks/feels just like mortar! Saved a lot of $$$ using this stuff! Plus the caulking tip is the standard width of the mortar lines! and it has a flap on the tip to smooth out the caulking.. I loved that stuff!! :giggle:(y)

I'd highly recommend this if the mortar is brittle and coming out between the bricks!

I have a brick side walk that is about 28 years old. The joint mortar is starting to come out here and there. What do I use to fill these "holes"?

ok wait.. re-read and this is different.. the joint mortar between sidewalk slabs from what I remember is for the expansion/contraction of those slabs. The quikrete stuff I used was for the mortar between bricks it hardened like concrete/mortar would.. I don't think I'd use that on expansion ribbons or where that is supposed to be. guess I need to slow down and read the posts better!

The only way to make it look really good would be to grind out as much mortar as you can and tuck point in new mortar so it's all consistent, just be aware this will not last another 28 years. When they first lay the brick they lay them in such a way they put pressure on the mortar in between the bricks which gives it some strength/durability. Also using a grinder with a masonry blade causes a lot of vibration which in turn could make it worse.

I would remove as much loose mortar as you can and use one of he products mentioned here or search youtube for some videos on how to do it.

I would like to see some pictures to see how bad it is.

Here are the pics. It's too hot to unload the U-HAUL at present.

Attachments

• tempImageyQ4MYy.jpg
    tempImageyQ4MYy.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 11
  • tempImageoMOklU.jpg
    tempImageoMOklU.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 11
  • tempImageyKgFsQ.jpg
    tempImageyKgFsQ.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 11
Here are the pics. It's too hot to unload the U-HAUL at present.
hey Gebo.. Yep that mortal repair from Quikrete that I used on the house that I sold would work perfectly on your bricks. Except that was on the side of a brick house instead of a walkway, I don't see the difference in mortar application. Here I thought before it was a sidewalk that was concrete slabs not bricks, that's why I was hesitant but never mind that.. this is the same types of cracks in mortar that was on the house! exactly..

You can always call Quikrete and talk to them to make sure my thoughts are correct but I think that caulking type mortar repair would be excellent. I know that it worked well on the house!

Stay away from caulking. Only mortar. May not look the same exactly. Clear out everything loose first.
Curious what’s the issue with caulking?

I’ve seen in other work, like concrete slabs, that a permanently flexible (polyurethane?) sealant that self settles is often used.

I’ve always thought mortar for bricks too…. But I’ve seen this other stuff used in some cases.

Back