What to do with old Stabil? 2+ years old

Status
Not open for further replies.
A manufacturer's stated shelf life is not necessarily based on empirical testing that shows a lack of effectiveness over a specific time. In many cases a manufacturer may make up dates based on worse case storage conditions (e.g. an open bottle in a hot shed), a lawyer's conservative advice, how often they want a resale, or just pull a number out of the air. There are no consequences for stating an unrealistically short shelf life, only an unrealistically long one.

In the case of Stabil, this product is a petroleum solvent with a small dose of an anti-oxidant. Oxidation reactions are temperature dependent, and the rate of oxidation doubles (or halves) with each 10°C (18°F) change in temperature. Since this product is intended to work at ambient temperatures (fuel storage) the rate of oxidation is very slow. That said, I believe the dose of anti-oxidant is very low. To extend the storage life substantially, squeeze the air out of the bottle after each use and store at colder temperatures, like a refrigerator, or shed/garage in the winter.

Tom NJ

I'm still using an old Stabil bottle my father gave me as he didn't use it, is at LEAST 10 years old. When I finish it up, which may take 2-3 years, I'll buy the smaller bottle since I don't use that much of it. Only to store two cars for the winter.

This old Stabil doesn't give me any trouble.

I don't know about Stabil. I use Startron. In my conversations with them, they have advised their product has no shelf life (within reason, capped container, not in extreme temps, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back