What to do with my new abused volvo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It should be a B6304S (Which was called B6294S in the US I believe). I had that motor in my 2000 S80 - great engine.

It seemed to get the oil quite hot though. When I got it it had quite a lot of coked up deposits inside the valve cover (my father had it before me and ran dino on 4k mile OCIs). After a few 3k mile changes on M1 it cleared out. Never any performance issues though, besides that blasted faulty electronic throttle.

The only fix for that POS engine is to yank it and put an LSx into it. Thankfully, I manufacture a kit to do just that in a 700/900 and S90/V90.

How many miles on it? Much past 150k they seem to significantly wear the bores and lose compression. Most people I've talked to, 1 cylinder usually ends up exceptionally high, while the rest exceptionally low. I tore mine down when I LS swapped @180k or so, and had to use a ridge reamer to get the pistons out of the bores. Most of my cylinders were around 140-150 psi, except #5 - it had 240 psi of compression.

EDIT: And in the 960's and S/V90's, there was a B6304S, and a B6304F. The T6 in your S80 is a similar, but different engine. Many technical updates that our POS's didn't get.

Last edited:
We did the first oil change after fixing the car. This oil (Rotella T5) ran 10K miles. (187K on engine when this filter removed.)

Here is the Mann W917 filter. There is some swarf because I used a saw to open the filter.

4kCPy0Gl.jpg

Larger image

We are 8,000 miles into a fill of Rotella T3, it's gotten darker on the dipstick more quickly. Thinking about replacing the oil now but leaving the filter for another 8K.

A+ timing belt is the one thing that bugs me about this engine, the one I removed had 110K miles. Specified interval is 70K, and the date coincided with its mileage near the first scheduled replacement.

When I figured out the history of the used belt in my hands, I thought about the ITU's I performed on the highway and felt kind of lucky. It had some visible signs of wear but they looked minor to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back