What to do when no suitable OE filter available?

Hello forum members,

I have recently managed to get hold of a 2019 CX-9 SKYACTIV-G 2.5T AWD - a car that is not meant for local retail.
According to various online references, CX-9 call for 4.8L of 5W-30 weight engine oil and a PY8W-14-302 Tokyo Roki Engine Oil Filter.
Oil is simple, it is the filter that is causing me trouble.

I have checked the usual big parts store. The PE01-14-302B filter is readily available.
Mann W6018 is also very common.
But I believe they are meant for the PY-VPS 2.5 NA engine.
No one know anything about a PY-VPTS(T) 2.5 turbo engine.
Denso, PIAA and HKS parts catalogue do not have a filter suitable for me either.

Now my questions are
- when the PY8W filter is not availablem, can I step down to use PE01 or Mann filter instead?
or put in other way - at 2021 do we know the actual difference between PY8W-14-302 for 2.5 turbo and PE01-14-302B to make an better decision?

Thanks and wish you a nice day.
Dennis.

Hello forum members,

I have recently managed to get hold of a 2019 CX-9 SKYACTIV-G 2.5T AWD - a car that is not meant for local retail.
According to various online references, CX-9 call for 4.8L of 5W-30 weight engine oil and a PY8W-14-302 Tokyo Roki Engine Oil Filter.
Oil is simple, it is the filter that is causing me trouble.

I have checked the usual big parts store. The PE01-14-302B filter is readily available.
Mann W6018 is also very common.
But I believe they are meant for the PY-VPS 2.5 NA engine.
No one know anything about a PY-VPTS(T) 2.5 turbo engine.
Denso, PIAA and HKS parts catalogue do not have a filter suitable for me either.

Now my questions are
- when the PY8W filter is not availablem, can I step down to use PE01 or Mann filter instead?
or put in other way - at 2021 do we know the actual difference between PY8W-14-302 for 2.5 turbo and PE01-14-302B to make an better decision?

Thanks and wish you a nice day.
Dennis.
Is this what you need? Price seems high, but 12 are available:

Wix makes the 57002 for the Skyactiv engines and lists it for both turbo and non-turbo models.

Mazda says only to use PY8W-14-302 on the turbos, and this number has been superseded at USA dealers with 1WPY-14-302.

Mazda issued a bulletin stating not to use the PE01-14-302 filters on the turbo engines, so there must be a reason. They aren't telling us though.

Here is the Mazda bulletin: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10134934-9999.pdf

I just put a Fram 7317 UG on my Mazda; its the oversize for the 6607 (universal Asian filter).
The two OEM filters look identical except for source country.
Neither have an ADBV as they mount vertically.
that Fram number should cross to your favorite brand.

My 2¢

You can get Roki filters at a dealer for $8 and change. The turbo one might be a buck or two more but I’m not sure on that.

Thank you for your responses.
Apologize for not being clear enough, I am not in USA.
Drtyler thank you for the bulletin. Sad Mazda did not publish what exactly the difference is.

Thank you for your responses.
Apologize for not being clear enough, I am not in USA.
Drtyler thank you for the bulletin. Sad Mazda did not publish what exactly the difference is.
the two Mazda filters look identical. N/A filter is made in Mexico, the Turbo filter is made
in Thailand. Like most OEM filters, they are decent filters, but the better after market filters
are better still.

My 2¢

the two Mazda filters look identical. N/A filter is made in Mexico, the Turbo filter is made
in Thailand. Like most OEM filters, they are decent filters, but the better after market filters
are better still.

My 2¢

Just spoked to a Mazda parts manager at a dealership, confirmed 1PWY-14-302 superseded PY8W-14-302. But for some reason, he's still getting PY8W-14-302, made in Mexico though. He said those two are still available and so are the PE01-14-302 and 1WPE-14-302 filters.

In the picture below, blue arrow points to filters for Turbo, red for NA engines. Two on left are made in Mexico, the others are Thailand. No oil filters are made in Japan are currently available.

Oil Filters.jpg

Back