What to coat battery post/terminals with?

NO PROBLEM USING DIELECTRIC GREASE ON BATTERY TERMINALS.
HERE'S A VIDEO FROM CRC SHOWING HOW TO USE IT.
NOTE: THE VIDEO IS ONE FROM CRC'S YOU TUBE CHANNEL
WATCH THIS >>>>>

I usually put a set of the battery corrosion washers on when I replace a battery. Sometimes after putting the terminals on the post I'll use my pump oil can and put a couple drops of motor oil on top of the posts to help neutralize any acid that might form later. Years ago I used a very thin coat of wheel bearing grease but found out if left long term it could cause enough of a barrier to cause a no start, hard starting or slow starter cranking speed . It was always OK if I'd remove the terminals every 6 months to a year, clean the old grease off and apply a fresh coat.

The idea is to seal out oxygen and promote a low resistance connection . Penetrox , Kernelex , EJC , or some other contact aid . Power companies use it by the boatload . Find a line crew and ask one of them for some . They'll probably hook you up . I still have some Penetrox left over from my working days .

I use the NOCO kit, which I buy when I get a new battery. You can get it at Walmart and it comes with 2 felt "washers" an acid neutalizing spray and a battery terminal protectant. It works great and the terminal protectant dries like chain wax so it doesn't collect dirt, its also made in the US so thats a plus, Ive used other products but the high under hood temps usually dont play well with a lot of cheap or diy remedies.

Reactions: wdn
I like to clean the battery with pledge, and cover the terminals at the metal-plastic interface, and top and around the top of the terminals.

I also use the Noco kit from walmart it was only a few dollars.

I'm not sure which bronze or brass Alloy Northstar uses, Silicon or Phosphor bronze I expect, but I recently polished the terminals with Caig Deoxit d5 and 1500 grit wet sandpaper and they glow like oiled gold, becoming far brighter with the D5 than when I used the 1500 paper dry.
20210826_162112 copy.jpg

I bought and applied some NO-OX-ID which says it is a conductive grease, but my friend who is more OCD than myself about minimal contact resistance swears by KOPR-Shield which he thinks is the same or at least very similar to copper antiseize.

Before I added the No Ox ID, but after wetsanding with D5, I tested the max output of my alternator into this well depleted and still healthy beast of a TPPl AGM battery( 116 amps) and then felt the terminals for heating. At that point I noticed I forgot to tighten the post clamp on the negative.
It still remained cool to touch and sams as ambient according to my IR temp gun..

Seeing countless Toyotas with positive terminal corrosion I've installed some felt pads and sprayed the terminals w/ CRC terminal protector on a '21 Tundra with the factory battery.

Back