What synthetic oil will make valvetrain quieter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M1 is notoriously noisy in almost anything its used in IMO... good oil but I hate noise. I'd try some Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum if I were you.

I've used M1 for 21 years and it's quite but I can't hear the noise through the sound of my exhaust headers and Borla muffler.

Originally Posted By: PeterGreen
Engines that really do well over their lives seem to be ones that run the same oil consistently.

Is that really true? Because I change brands with every OC.

So do I. I've got work vans with 450k on the odo and OPE with 15000 hours on the engines.
So if using different oils shorten engine life I'm not seeing it.

I went from M1 0w40 to Castrol Edge 0w40 and the Castrol makes my hydraulic rollers sound like solid/flat tappets at start up.

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
I wanted to stick with the 5W30 weight as that is what GM strongly recommends. They say never to run a thicker oil other than 5W30.

It's important to recognize that there are considerations OTHER than engine longevity that can drive a strong OEM recommendation.

For example, almost all the 20-wt oils are recommended because the slight fuel economy benefit associated with them was used in achieving CAFE measured performance. EPA then wants to know how manufacturer will prevent customer from using thicker (lower mpg) oil. OEM goes to EPA with all the scary manual stuff end firm recommendations against the thicker stuff, EVEN if it might make the engine last longer.

Qualifications: I work as an engine engineer for a large engine company, and have had conversations with world-class tribologists about this kind of thing.

Originally Posted By: Hohn
I wanted to stick with the 5W30 weight as that is what GM strongly recommends. They say never to run a thicker oil other than 5W30.

It's important to recognize that there are considerations OTHER than engine longevity that can drive a strong OEM recommendation.

For example, almost all the 20-wt oils are recommended because the slight fuel economy benefit associated with them was used in achieving CAFE measured performance. EPA then wants to know how manufacturer will prevent customer from using thicker (lower mpg) oil. OEM goes to EPA with all the scary manual stuff end firm recommendations against the thicker stuff, EVEN if it might make the engine last longer.

Qualifications: I work as an engine engineer for a large engine company, and have had conversations with world-class tribologists about this kind of thing.

Well,

Luckily the theory of 0w20 or 5w20 not being up to the task of lubricating to the standards of thicker viscosities hasn't come to fruition. High mileage Toyota, Ford and Honda's being the pudding.

Last edited:
Running Mobil 1 5W30 now, but engine valvetrain is noisy particularly at idle.

What 5W30 synthetic oil will make this engine quieter?

Any recommendations on the GM LSA V8? I got 6,200 miles on it now and have changed the oil twice already, both times with Mobil 1 5W30 from the factory fill.

Thanks in advance for any info or suggestions.

Our Wrangler is super noisy with M1, and is nearly silent with Amsoil in the sump - all you hear are the accessories turning.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Any recommendations on the GM LSA V8? I got 6,200 miles on it now and have changed the oil twice already, both times with Mobil 1 5W30 from the factory fill.

Our Wrangler is super noisy with M1, and is nearly silent with Amsoil in the sump - all you hear are the accessories turning.

I was going to go with Amsoil Signature Series 0W30 or 5W30 in this car, but a few members here warned me that Amsoil is not Dexos 1 approved. If there are any issues down the road, my warranty with GM would be compromised even though I have never heard of any oil related failures with Amsoil or any other major synthetic oil brand.

I have used Amsoil 0W30 primarily in the past and have never had any issues with it. I have had the same type of car (2nd gen CTS-V) with the same type engine (GM LSA) but I honestly couldn't really tell the difference between Mobil 1 and Amsoil in the way the car idled or performed overall. Amsoil also isn't the easiest to get or the cheapest either, but cost to me isn't a factor. It's more convenience more than anything. Mobil 1 has also been proven for over 40 years now and is the factory fill with more automakers than any other oil. I have never heard of any oil related failures with Mobil 1 either. I have been using Mobil 1 since 1995 and went to Amsoil for a couple years, but always seemed to come back to Mobil 1 because it's so [censored] easy to get at Walmart and Costco.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
The quietest oil that I've used was Ultra. It was the original formulation though. I haven't tried the new one.

I heard the old Ultra formula was top tier. Probably the best synthetic oil on the market. A lot of members here seem to have jumped the Mobil 1 ship and gone to the new Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with Pure Plus and while the UOA results have seemed to be favorable, they don't show to be a step above Mobil 1. Ultra Platinum seems to be on par with Mobil 1, unless I am wrong.

I was going to go with Amsoil Signature Series 0W30 or 5W30 in this car, but a few members here warned me that Amsoil is not Dexos 1 approved. If there are any issues down the road, my warranty with GM would be compromised even though I have never heard of any oil related failures with Amsoil or any other major synthetic oil brand.

I have used Amsoil 0W30 primarily in the past and have never had any issues with it. I have had the same type of car (2nd gen CTS-V) with the same type engine (GM LSA) but I honestly couldn't really tell the difference between Mobil 1 and Amsoil in the way the car idled or performed overall. Amsoil also isn't the easiest to get or the cheapest either, but cost to me isn't a factor. It's more convenience more than anything. Mobil 1 has also been proven for over 40 years now and is the factory fill with more automakers than any other oil. I have never heard of any oil related failures with Mobil 1 either. I have been using Mobil 1 since 1995 and went to Amsoil for a couple years, but always seemed to come back to Mobil 1 because it's so [censored] easy to get at Walmart and Costco.

I hear ya. M1 is a great oil, but it's well documented to be noisy. I'd be surprised if Amsoil didn't meet the GM specifications...never seen a bad test of any kind with SS.

Originally Posted By: tig1
M1 is very quite in everything I used it in for the last 36 years.

Never had any noise issues with Mobil 1 either. Very good stuff.
An engine with some deposits may seem a little noisier for a short time when going to synthetic oils, some of them have good cleaning abilities.
The noise will probably diminish after a couple of OCI.

I've been using Mobil 1 in my Jeep and my van, no noise complaints at all. I plan on sticking with it.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Depends on the vehicle, but I find Redine quiets my solid lifter valve train better than anything else I've tried.

I recall in the past there was some feeling that Redline seemed to improve Piston Slap. Perhaps bc of the higher moly but perhaps bc of the beter lubricating qualities of the Polyol Ester base.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
Redline seemed to improve Piston Slap. Perhaps bc of the higher moly but perhaps bc of the beter lubricating qualities of the Polyol Ester base.

+ thicker viscosity and higher quality basestock.

I hear ya. M1 is a great oil, but it's well documented to be noisy. I'd be surprised if Amsoil didn't meet the GM specifications...never seen a bad test of any kind with SS.

M1 is also well documented by many of us here at BITOG and many folks that I know to produce very quite engines. As for test, aren't you speaking of the test that Amsoil runs themselves, comparing Amsoil to other brands that they call out by name? Just askin.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back