What synthetic oil will make valvetrain quieter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Running Mobil 1 5W30 now, but engine valvetrain is noisy particularly at idle.

What 5W30 synthetic oil will make this engine quieter?

Any recommendations on the GM LSA V8? I got 6,200 miles on it now and have changed the oil twice already, both times with Mobil 1 5W30 from the factory fill.

Thanks in advance for any info or suggestions.

Valvoline maxlife seems to be a nice oil. Makes my 3.8 near silent. You have very low miles tho so I wouldn't suggest that. Have you considered SynPower?

Maybe even a little heavier oil? The V8's are not picky, I'm sure a heavier oil would make a noticeable difference.

I wanted to stick with the 5W30 weight as that is what GM strongly recommends. They say never to run a thicker oil other than 5W30.

You can, but more then likely you will not notice much difference. I know some one who run 20w50 in a GM 5.3 and the exhaust is considerably louder then the engine.

Hope you find something that works for you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 3800Series
You can, but more then likely you will not notice much difference. I know some one who run 20w50 in a 5.3 and the exhaust is considerably louder then the engine.

Thanks for the info, but isn't 20W50 way too thick for GM V8s?

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Originally Posted By: 3800Series
You can, but more then likely you will not notice much difference. I know some one who run 20w50 in a 5.3 and the exhaust is considerably louder then the engine.

Thanks for the info, but isn't 20W50 way too thick for GM V8s?

It really depends on ones views/opinions. I don't want to really get into that argument lol.

Had a buddy of mine use rotella 15w40 (T6) in his toyota with a little 1.8 for near 10k miles (2 changes).

I know its not recommended but I don't think just because you use a heavier or lighter oil the oil will no longer lubricate.

Last edited:
GM4LIFE, you've gone OCD...seriously.
smile.gif

Your two options for top performing 5W-30 oils are be M1 and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Except Castrol, no other companies have the same level of development in house. It's not going to get better than either of these. Pennzoil products run quieter in my experience, but M1 is more capable of extended drain. Pennzoil makes some very strong claims about wear protection and piston deposit resistance that's backed by their own validation testing, and it's an easy choice if M1 is noisy in your engine.

Pick one and stick with it. Engines that really do well over their lives seem to be ones that run the same oil consistently.

Last edited:
Every engine I've put Royal Purple in has made the valve train quieter at idle. This is the main reason why I use Royal Purple.

QSUD is one one of the most quiet oil i've tried.
PYB is also really quiet, but that is conventional oil.

Engines that really do well over their lives seem to be ones that run the same oil consistently.

Is that really true? Because I change brands with every OC.

Only synth that's ever made an engine smoother/quieter than conventional is RP Synerlec and Castrol Edge.

most engines everywhere get whatever oil is the cheapest being it at the stealer or whatever is on sale and most last a long time. Some believe changing brands gets the best of all worlds. I lean towards Mobil Or Pennzoil for my own cars at the shop we buy in bulk (drums) this month it is conoco

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Running Mobil 1 5W30 now, but engine valvetrain is noisy particularly at idle.

What 5W30 synthetic oil will make this engine quieter?

Any recommendations on the GM LSA V8? I got 6,200 miles on it now and have changed the oil twice already, both times with Mobil 1 5W30 from the factory fill.

Thanks in advance for any info or suggestions.

There are plenty of good oils out in the market that you might want to try and see which one meets your satisfaction. I've found that Valvoline Synpower makes my car run real smooth and quiet but that may or may not be the same result for you. Good luck with your selection.

Last edited:
Going from M1 10w40 to Rotella T 15w40 significantly quieted my XS850, but not sure that helps. I think you can get blended T5 in either 5w30 or 10w30?

If you want a quiet synthetic, I'd suggest Castrol Gold bottle, Castrol black bottle in that order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back