what prevents concealed carry permits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im going in on Tuesday to do an application for one and I was just curious to know what denies you from obtaining the permit? Aside from the obvious I cant imagine not being able to get one if you can legally own a pistol in the first place. So if anyone has any input please post.

Depends on the state, I have one in Arizona that is not even needed anymore since anyone that is a US citizen and can legally own a weapon can carry concealed in that state now.

^
I forgot how cool Arizona is on guns laws. Thats pretty awesome. Wish Washington was that laid back.

Originally Posted By: defektes
Depends on the state, I have one in Arizona that is not even needed anymore since anyone that is a US citizen and can legally own a weapon can carry concealed in that state now.

That`s AWESOME! I have my CHL and my handgun goes everywhere I go. Here in Tx,you just have to pass a background check and qualify at the shooting range.

^
Wow you have to qualify! Thats pretty cool interesting. I read Ohio forces 12hrs of saftey class but to qualify is definately interesting. I like that. Too many noobs carry and are going to get someone unintentionally killed.

Nevada also requires qualification, but it has to be with the specific weapon you are going to carry. Say I get one with my 9mm USP full size. If I were to get a 9mm USP compact I would have to qualify on that as well. Even though it is essentially the same gun. Its really retarded.
WA, is actually pretty decent. Not as good as say Arizona, but the permitting process is easy and at least I had mine the next day.

It would start with a background check. A FEW speeding tickets & other fairly minor traffic offenses are the norm for many. If you have more than that I'd do some specific research with your State. Of course any previous 'restraining orders' can stop one dead in their tracks. It can depend. DWI's(OWI) can reach out and have an effect in many areas too, jobs & the rest.

I was on a jury years ago for a fairly minor offense(criminal). Though usually a tough on crime type guy there was no real crime here. Even the 'victim' was trying to testify to assist the defendant. Back in the jury room a few wanted to convict because 'it was just a minor' fine/penalty anyway. I didn't see a reason to put it on this guy's record for [censored] reasons. The real instigator in this case was the drunk girlfriend, though she wasn't on trial.

Well, felons can't own firearms, so that is a pretty big one. If you've had a DWI in the past 5 years, you're ineligible in TX. I don't think child support is a disqualifier here any more, but it used to be.

Any domestic violence conviction (doesn't have to be a felony) means you can no longer legally own, purchase, or carry firearms in the U.S.

Quote:
Nevada also requires qualification, but it has to be with the specific weapon you are going to carry. Say I get one with my 9mm USP full size. If I were to get a 9mm USP compact I would have to qualify on that as well. Even though it is essentially the same gun. Its really retarded.

You no longer have to qualify with every revolver. A qualification on one is now good for all. The battery of arms for revolvers is similar.

You do still have to qualify on every semi-auto. The battery of arms for a 1911 is very different from a Sig, which is very different from a Glock, etc.

Ed

I know this is only tangential to the topic, but could you qualify with multiple guns? Like, say I want to carry my 1911 in a waist holster, but I keep a little .380 in an ankle holster, too... What about that?

As for Texas, there are no limits on how many guns you can carry, but you must either qualify for revolver or semiauto. If you qualify with semiauto, you can carry revolvers, but not vice-versa. You could carry a .22 revolver in your back pocket, two 1911s under each arm, a .357 snubnose at your waist, and a pair of .380s on your ankles. That's a little ridiculous, but if they're not visible it's OK with the law.

Maybe being arrested for pouring urine in someone's cowl might show up on your record. It'd be a real bummer if you were carrying and got arrested while pouring the golden shower.

The good news is that Washington State is a "Shall Issue" state. That is, unless they find a reason not to, they must issue the permit to you.

Reasons for denying a permit are pretty basic. You will be denied for felony convictions or adjudications, Assault IV, coercion, stalking, or if you're pending trial. There are a couple more. http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/faconcealreq.html

One thing getting pretty big in Washington is applying for a Utah permit. Many of the local ranges are sponsoring courses to qualify you. It increases the amount of reciprocity states and allows you to carry in a lot more states.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Maybe being arrested for pouring urine in someone's cowl might show up on your record. It'd be a real bummer if you were carrying and got arrested while pouring the golden shower.
Oh god that would be embarrassing.

Quote:
I know this is only tangential to the topic, but could you qualify with multiple guns? Like, say I want to carry my 1911 in a waist holster, but I keep a little .380 in an ankle holster, too... What about that?

Not sure if that was for me, but I'll answer for Nevada.

You can qualify with as many guns as you want. Each one you qualify with is added to your permit. You can carry any one or any combination you want.

When I took the course the instructor brought out a bunch of guns. We were free to qualify with any of them that we wanted and members of the class often swapped guns to qualify on.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back