What percentage of answers are simply repeated unproven info?

Drive your idle vehicle twice per month to burn off 'stuff' in the oil.

MMO is good for rings.

My car hasn't blown up running that oil, so it's good stuff.

HM oil swells seals. No, it conditions seals. No, it swells them and they'll wear out prematurely if it's not already leaking!

Synthetic is good for 10k. Yeah, if you like varnish! But it keeps the engine clean...?!

Edge has Magnatec's polar molecules. What does polar mean? "It's got electrolytes!"

Redline is good for hardly driven vehicles in Illinois as long as the humidity is below 70% and you're using BP gasoline only.

If you consider that almost all members on here lack professional qualifications on tribology, most of the information shared is either from marketing information or anecdotal personal experiences.

So, the percentage is probably very high.

I would hate to see this forum exclude everyone who is not a professional tribologist. It would lose a vast amount of great knowledge and sound advice.

Reactions: JC1
If you consider that almost all members on here lack professional qualifications on tribology, most of the information shared is either from marketing information or anecdotal personal experiences.

There are the industry professionals that may not be experts in tribology yet seen enough of the insides of engines and other people that have actual experience above [ I heard that, read an article or saw a you tube video or tv program..] that have valid opinions. BITOG vast knowledge base in lots of subjects that are willing to share.

Last edited:

Michael, what on earth is tribology? The study of some ancient tribe on some far away planet?
This is a $4 word and you know I am a 2 bit guy...
You're killing me!

I would hate to see this forum exclude everyone who is not a professional tribologist. It would lose a vast amount of great knowledge and sound advice
The BIG problem is you don't know who is, and who isn't. And even the "professionals" are unlikely to have such a broad knowledge as to be able to make a proper suggestion on things that have so many inputs.

The BIG problem is you don't know who is, and who isn't. And even the "professionals" are unlikely to have such a broad knowledge as to be able to make a proper suggestion on things that have so many inputs.
Use a bit of discernment. A professional will usually get you in the right direction.

yet seen enough of the insides of engines and other people that have actual experience above
If you mean a mechanic, for example, unless they controlled a vehicle and it's engine, did all of the maintenance, used the same oil, changed at a fixed frequency, and so on, it's still anecdotal.

If you mean a mechanic, for example, unless they controlled a vehicle and it's engine, did all of the maintenance, used the same oil, changed at a fixed frequency, and so on, it's still anecdotal.
Actually it is not.

Use a bit of discernment. A professional will usually get you in the right direction.
Unfortunately, and somewhat disgustingly, I've found that to seldom be true these days. 30 years ago, I'd agreed.

I respect everyone’s opinion and feel none of it is false. Though most of the time I know what is right and wrong as far as car related information goes.

Back