what options/features are a 'must have'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Power brakes and front discs were standard on all new vehicles by the time I was born, so I won't count those. I'd forgive their absence on a classic vehicle I didn't drive everyday.

Cruise control, a/c, and a good stereo are priorities for me. I would not want a daily driver without all three. ABS is definitely preferred, but I might consider a vehicle without it. I did like the power windows/locks/keyless entry my Explorer had, but I like that the Ranger's windows will work for the rest of its existence more.

I forgot: Good headlights! A fox ran out in front of me tonight, and I was grateful for the good (now that I've fixed them) low beams on the Cruze that allowed me to see it in enough time to slow down. Having good headlights is so nice, and adds so much to making night driving safer.

#1: Air Conditioning
#2: Air Conditioning
#3: Air Conditioning

A decent AM/FM radio is nice.

What the Dakota doesn't have, & I wish it did:
Cruise Control- I might try my hand at adding an aftermarket CC.
Power Windows & Locks- Cookie the Wonder Dog does *Not* understand why I can roll down the front pasenger window for her in the Crown Vic, but not in the pickup!
grin.gif

*Power windows
*Power locks
*Cruise control
*Line in or USB to the stereo
*Manual transmission

I'd add A/C, but I don't know if you can get a car without it anymore.

That'll about do it for me!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
My *must haves*

Manual tranny
Sunroof or T-Tops
AC and heater
cd player

These are exactly mine too!
The other stuff is "nice to have"

My first new car was a 1977 VW Rabbit. My mom and dad loaned me $500 for the down payment until I sold my 1971 Buick LeSabre (I REALLY wanted a used 1975 Camaro that I saw on a local lot but my dad nixed that...probably just as well). The car had 2 options..."leatherette" (also known as perforated vinyl) upholstery and a rear window defroster. EVERYTHING was manual...steering, brakes (before power brakes became standard on everything), windows, locks, etc. It was bright red with a black interior...had a 4 spd. manual trans. The car was great and I put 80,000 miles on it in 4 years (I don't remember missing A/C but I was a lot younger then). If I remember correctly (which I don't a lot of the time anymore), it was something like $4,500 "out the door". Now even my 'ol Accord has all power features plus a sunroof, ABS, etc. How the times have changed.

My first new car was the just recently introduced Honda Prelude, 2nd generation. The only available option was A/C. Everything else was manual including doors, windows and even steering. Thank God it had power brakes but our arms got a good workout during parking.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
My first new car was the just recently introduced Honda Prelude, 2nd generation. The only available option was A/C. Everything else was manual including doors, windows and even steering. Thank God it had power brakes but our arms got a good workout during parking.

I really enjoy manual steering.
There is so much connection between driver and car when everything is basic. I quite enjoy it.

I drive my father's old '67 Corvette about once a month. Manual everything. I don't feel any more "connected" to it than a modern car. And trying to make a panic stop with manual brakes? Ugh. I'll take mine with power everything and air conditioning, thank you very much. I do like manual transmissions though
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I drive my father's old '67 Corvette about once a month. Manual everything. I don't feel any more "connected" to it than a modern car. And trying to make a panic stop with manual brakes? Ugh. I'll take mine with power everything and air conditioning, thank you very much. I do like manual transmissions though
smile.gif

A Corvette isn't the greatest example of driver connection even in that age. No more than an old tractor has "driver connection" in a good way.

A GOOD car with manual steering will show you the light. It's head and shoulders above any hydraulic or electric unit once you're out on the road. Can't say the same about parallel parking, however.

Originally Posted By: cchase
Originally Posted By: exranger06
smile.gif

A Corvette isn't the greatest example of driver connection even in that age. No more than an old tractor has "driver connection" in a good way.

A GOOD car with manual steering will show you the light. It's head and shoulders above any hydraulic or electric unit once you're out on the road. Can't say the same about parallel parking, however.

Yeah that is a very heavy, older vehicle. I have not used manual steering on a car that old.
I am just talking about 90's base model cars. Civics, Saturns, etc. I actually wanted to put a manual rack in my 96 Saturn, I like the way they drive with it.

Originally Posted By: cchase
exranger06 said:

Of course, you are talking about a quality "rack and pinion" manual setup. Those feel fantastic, that's for sure. However don't wreck a car with such a setup, as it will break your thumbs it you hit the curb just right!

Features I must have:

1) responsive steering
2) responsive brakes
3) responsive throttle
4) revvy engine
5) tight, but not harsh suspension
6) most importantly, A comfortable seat!

All the rest matters not. I won't like it if my basic needs are not met.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Nothing for me. I wish there were at least a few vehicles with roll-up windows, power nothing, no a/c, manual tranny, low-hp, etc. I'd like something like those first Rabbits--ideal cars for me.

Same here....too many electric accessories that usually break just after the warranty is expired and cost A LOT!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back