What oil would you use?

That said I wouldn't run conventional in anything today.
So what's the takeaway from this comment?
You wouldn't use ... Rotella T4, Delvac 1300, VPB, or a host of other great performing oils?

I'd really like to know your reasoning behind that statement. Please be specific; what's undesirable in a conventional oil today for this diesel application? Please address:
- pumpability in normal TN temps
- wear control in a diesel engine
- soot/insoluble control capability
- thermal oxidation resistance

If at all possible, use real data and facts, not marketing hype and mythology, to answer those topics. Don't just say "well, syns are better." That's not a crecible answer. Give details as to how a conventional oil is somehow going to fail at this application, or really fail and any normal application of "anything".

I'd suggest you calm down. I think nobody needs to vindicate oneself on
this forum, in particular for such a simple and non-offensive contribution.
Admitted, I don't own a Kubota tractor, but do you really think it wouldn't
like a decent semi-synthetic from WM? Would Rotella or Delvac actually
perform better? Since you said it doesn't need 'anything special', why do
you insist it requires Rotella, Delvac or other HDEOs?

I also have a 20+ year old diesel tractor, 3cyl 25HP. 300 hour recommended OCI. I use it to mow and to snowblow. Generally put
I've run T6, SuperTech 10-30, Royal Purple 15-40.... adjusted the valves at 2000 hours a couple years ago, spanking clean in there.

Older kubota tractor 2005/2006. See the specs in the owners manual in the attachment.

Seems those API ratings are obsolete and have been replaced/upgraded.

I live in TN where the weather is pretty mild. We rarely have a night below 15-20f in the winter.

Thoughts on what weight and such to run.
Put in some Rotella T4 10w 30 or 15w 40 and call it a day.

it got Mobil delvac extreme 15w-40 as that was what I keep on the shelf for the Cummins. It sounds happy

I think nobody needs to vindicate oneself onthis forum, in particular for such a simple and non-offensive contribution.
Vindicate? No. You have every right to make that statement regarding never running convetional oils in anything. And I have every right to ask you to explain the conclusion you've come to. Your statement is very pointed and the inference anyone reading it would take is that you believe conventional oils are inferior in any application, and so I'm asking you to defend your statement. I asked for you to use facts and data, not defelection. If you don't want to be challeneged to defend your statement, then don't make such a statement. Your statement has not been proven to be accurate or false; it's merely a statement. I am curious as to WHY you feel the way you do? Please explain with detailed facts how a conventional oil is substandard to a point you'd never use one, in anything, ever???

Admitted, I don't own a Kubota tractor, but do you really think it wouldn't like a decent semi-synthetic from WM?
Sure it would "like" a semi-syn. Or a syn. Or a conventional oil. It's going to "like" anything that's appropriately spec'd for the HDEO application.
I already stated in earlier posts that little diesel tractors like this Kubota (and many other brands) simply don't care what brand and grade of oil is used as long as it's a proper HDEO. The engines will "like" any decent HDEO, regardless of brand or grade or base stock.

Would Rotella or Delvac actually perform better?
Better than what?
Simple answer is "no", Rotella or Delvac are unlikely to be better, or worse, than many other very good choices.

Since you said it doesn't need 'anything special', why do you insist it requires Rotella, Delvac or other HDEOs?
I don't insist the Kubota needs anything other than a decent HDEO. I merely gave a short example list of conventional HDEOs that will do an excellent job, that's all. I wasn't saying "use only these" ... I was saying "use a conventional oil such as these for your application". I NEVER said they "require" certain brands; how you came to that conclusion reading my statements is beyond me. Please do me a favor and don't put words into my mouth. I NEVER stated what you claim I said.

I've seen hundreds of UOAs from all manner of Kubota diesel engines, as well as many hundreds more from Deere (Yanmar) and the Shibura and Mitsubishi little diesels. Not one of these engines seems to prefer any particular brand or grade. THAT's my point. The OPs in TN with a Kubota diesel tractor. There is ZERO need for a syn here. He's not indicated he's going to greatly extend the OCIs. There's no extreme temps to deal with.
Will a syn work? Sure it will, at more cost than necessary.
Will a semi-syn work? Sure it will, at more cost than necessary.
Will a conventional work? Sure it will, at less cost, and provide all the necessary wear control, cleaning and soot control needed.

The OP came here for advice as to what to use.
- I'm basing my recommendation on currently owning to Kubotas from the same area, and having many hundreds of diesel tractor UOAs in my database.
- What's your advice of "never-use-conventional-in-anything" based on, and how's that relevant to the OP???

Last edited:
I was going to use that but can only find the 1 gallon jugs here, I think one store might've had the 2.5 but I wasn't close to me so I went with the Delvac Extreme 15w40. I needed at least 2 gallons of it and by the time you buy the singles it's more cost effective to get the larger jug.

I was going to go with the Delo XLE as it was slightly cheaper, I wanted the T5 but it's practically nowhere to be found in any Walmart's over here. The Delvac Extreme was only $7-$8 more than the Delo XLE for the 2.5 and getting a full synthetic vs a blend I feel the extra was worth it, they had the Delo XSP but was an extra $5 over the Delvac. I typically use the Delo as it's more widely available and cheaper than the others.

Dad has bought so much Rotella over the yrs that I've been trying to use that up in the Massey 1100 which holds 4 gallons but I've been using either synthetics or a blend in the Massey 175 and Ford 4110 tractors depending on what I have on hand or can pick up at Walmart for cheap. He had me goto the local parts store yesterday when I was getting some filters and I bought all the T5 they had but was only 3 jugs and wasn't enough to do both the other two tractors as I needed 4 gallons to change them so I'm going to run the Delvac in one and the T5 in the other. He's hardcore on the Rotella name though, I've tried telling him that the Delo is equally just as good but it's just something when he hears the name Rotella.

Back